Getting Started

Options
leecha2014
leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
What has worked for you? What is the biggest tip you could share that has helped you lose weight?

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    The top thing that has worked for me is not quitting. I'm a perfectionist, and in the past as soon as I cheated on a diet, I would quit. I have really tried to relax my standards and timelines and told myself nothing is off-limit as long as I can fit it into my calories. The second thing is discovering MFP and how easy it is to log everything. The ability to rough-in my meals in advance really helps me to make better choices. I don't always make the best choices, but when I do mess up it is easy to recover and focus on the next meal or day or do a little more exercise. What's your biggest tip?
  • leecha2014
    Options
    @HopeToRun‌ I can totally relate.
    4 years ago I lost 50lbs after joining weight watchers. At that time the program just clicked with me and my mind was ready. When I lost 50lbs ( I still had 30lb to go ) I went on 3 holidays within 6 months and for some reason I was so happy and I completely stopped tracking and let myself go. The weight crept up and I'm still amazed at myself that I didn't stop the gaining and get refocused. I was so upset with myself and miserable.
    It has taken me 4 years to get started again.
    For some reason I couldn't find the passion again for weight watchers. I joined and quickly quit again. It took me quite some time to figure out what would work. I became vegan in Oct 2013 and although for different reasons, I thought I would lose weight. A year later I was practically the same weight. I had been tracking my food but not the calories.
    I remembered MFP from looking at it years ago. It was like the lightbulb went off, I need to track my calories and exercise. So basic! It's was has been drilled into our heads constantly yet, it just finally resonated with me. I was eating clean and healthy but too much and my lifestyle was too sedentary.

I wrote down my goals and my plan as to how I would do this. I love MFP it is perfect and so convenient and a huge reason why I'm seeing results, I love the community support and success posts.

So long answer sorry, what has worked for me finally was planning on my strategy, what I was going to eat, when I was going to work out and my mind was ready.

I did not want to spend the rest of my life talking about losing weight.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Oh exactly right. I am tired of TALKING about it and ready to DO it.

My best tip (works for me anyway) is to stop and THINK. example: last night I REALLY REALLY wanted nachos with gooey cheese. I made myself visualize the scale this morning, what it would be WITH nachos and WITHOUT. Even if it fits in my calories I knew with the sodium i would gain. So I resisted. I always tell myself if I stick with the plan the scale WILL keep going down. I don't let myself get upset with little fluctuations any more either. I just visualize the NEXT day and keep going. In the past if I didn't lose quickly enough i was IT WONT WORK!!!! And back off the plan.
  • leecha2014
    Options
    Visualization. Sooooo important. I'm going to out a post up about that and hope people don't think I'm too "out there" lol. But it is so important, thank you I'm going to try that next time I'm fixating on something that won't help me.
  • mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to admit...excercising is my no brainer tip....just put your workout clothes in, get to the gym or wherever and once your there you WILL workout or it was just a waste of time being there and nobody likes to waste their time. I love the feeling once I've finished working out and looking at calories burned and trying to beat that number next time...competitive much?? Lol
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to admit...excercising is my no brainer tip....just put your workout clothes in, get to the gym or wherever and once your there you WILL workout or it was just a waste of time being there and nobody likes to waste their time. I love the feeling once I've finished working out and looking at calories burned and trying to beat that number next time...competitive much?? Lol

I am a pretty competitive person too! Lol fun isn't it?
  • terrimaricle
    terrimaricle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also believe it's all about mindset. Weight Watchers has worked for me in the past, but then I would quit as soon as I messed up. I am getting ready to start training for a 5K and need to get my focus.
  • leecha2014
    Options
    I wish MFP allowed for likes or a thumbs up like Facebook, great posts thanks for sharing. It's so helpful when you can relate to everyone
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Thanks, ladies. I'm going to try the visualization tip. I've heard it works before but never actually tried it.
  • Parsniphead
    Parsniphead Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think competitiveness and visualisation helps for me as we'll as wanting to see my little boy grow up. I just want to lose weight and get fit in a healthy way as none of the faddy stuff has worked. I have been using Model my Diet and really want to look like that again. Its silly but fun.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on motivation would be my tip. Motivation is great and can help you go further than you thought, but what happens when you get in a rut and lose motivation? Making healthy habits and sticking to them is what works and if you just do it even when you don't feel like it you will get the results.
  • loram11
    loram11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great posts!! I too have done watch watchers and did great on it, however, seems like I get to a point and hit a plateau with them. Now, I don't worry as much about what the scale says (use it as a monitor). I am just going to continue living healthy and getting my exercise!
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on motivation would be my tip. Motivation is great and can help you go further than you thought, but what happens when you get in a rut and lose motivation? Making healthy habits and sticking to them is what works and if you just do it even when you don't feel like it you will get the results.

I just read something about that the other day. It was interesting and had merit in my opinion. I will put the link below for those of you who wish to read it.

runsforcookies.com/2012/01/difference-between-motivation-and.html

• maryjboom
    maryjboom Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Keep trying.
    This is not my first time trying to drop some weight but this time I feel different about it. I like going to the gym and eating healthy so I hope it works this time.
  • terrimaricle
    Options
    What do you all do when you get sick with a cold? Do you power through, or take it easy?
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @terrimaricle I power through a cold as best I can. If I really can't breathe, I'll walk instead of run or do strength training/yoga instead. But if I have anything that involves my stomach or if I feel quite weak I rest a day or two until I'm better. Are you feeling crummy? If so, get better soon!
  • jenjim2021
    jenjim2021 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've stuck with being accountable for everything I eat for this long. It's become a habit. No, I'm not losing as fast as I could, but I'm holding myself accountable for the reasons why I have a bad week and I tell myself to just keep plugging along. In years past I would quit after a day or two of "falling off the wagon". Now I just learn from it and keep going.
    Also, involving friends that really work at it is a big bonus. Find a walking buddy. And don't let friends drag you down. I have a few that I've started on MFP that have stopped. I don't let them talk me into falling back into those bad habits. One of my friends always wants to go out to eat. I just say no. It's too hard for me. Plus I'd rather save my money for some nice clothes once I need to move down some sizes. :p
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    What do you all do when you get sick with a cold? Do you power through, or take it easy?

I have learned to listen to my body. If it tells me I need to rest, I do. My body is the boss, not my mind!! If I leave it up to my mind I will never do a darned thing!

• terrimaricle
    Options
    HopeToRun wrote: »
    @terrimaricle I power through a cold as best I can. If I really can't breathe, I'll walk instead of run or do strength training/yoga instead. But if I have anything that involves my stomach or if I feel quite weak I rest a day or two until I'm better. Are you feeling crummy? If so, get better soon!

I do! I went to bed and slept awhile when I got home from work.
  • 10alliemarie
    10alliemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to quit myfitness pal or weight watchers if I wasn't perfect. This time it is different. If I have a bad day, learn from it and do better the next day.