Fitbit/Runkeeper/MFP

Options
leigh11286
leigh11286 Posts: 2 Member
I log my workouts on Runkeeper, including runs, and all my meals on MFP. All of my fitness apps are linked/connected and sync to each other. I have been using my Fitbit for a few days now and am really enjoying seeing the total calories in vs. calories out picture. However I am wondering if I am double counting any of my calories. For example I went for a run on Monday morning which was tracked using my Runkeeper app. When I click on the exercise tab on the fitbit dashboard, the exercises are listed with (MyFitnessPal) behind them. Am I being accurate? Should I unlink my Runkeeper & Fitbit accounts?

Replies

• caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fitbit takes into account your calories burned during activities when it lists the calorie adjustment in MFP, so it subtracts the calories burnt during your run (synced from runkeeper to MFP then MFP to fitbit, lol) and adjusts accordingly. For example if I log a run in runkeeper and it estimates that I burnt 400 calories, but fitbit thinks I only burnt 300 then the fitbit calorie adjustment in MFP becomes -100.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I log my workouts on Runkeeper, including runs, and all my meals on MFP. All of my fitness apps are linked/connected and sync to each other. I have been using my Fitbit for a few days now and am really enjoying seeing the total calories in vs. calories out picture. However I am wondering if I am double counting any of my calories. For example I went for a run on Monday morning which was tracked using my Runkeeper app. When I click on the exercise tab on the fitbit dashboard, the exercises are listed with (MyFitnessPal) behind them. Am I being accurate? Should I unlink my Runkeeper & Fitbit accounts?

In your activity log, is the activity only logged once (from MFP) or is it logged twice (once from MFP and once from Runkeeper). Fitbit usually says where the logged activity came from. Usually it is not a good idea to link a service to both MFP and Fitbit. It may be fine if the third party linking service is not logging to Fitbit and is not pulling activity from fitbit and logging it to MFP. If the exercise is only listed in your fitbit activity log once--you are fine. Whatever was logged replaces fitbit's estimate during that time period.
  • leigh11286
    leigh11286 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I should be fine then. My activities are only logged once. From other posts and information I have read, it appears MFP acts as the third party link between both apps, my activity pushes to MFP and MFP pushes to Fitbit. Thanks for the help!!
  • pgallett
    Options
    I've had a similar question, so glad to see it works.

A follow-up question though, when your activity from Runkeeper (via MFP), is logged into fitbit, are you losing the "steps" for that same duration that were recorded on your tracker over the same amount of time? Also, what about the calorie estimate from runkeeper(via MFP), does fitbit replace their calorie count for that duration with the RK count or does it ignore that runkeeper amount?). Or does it just reconcile the difference back at MFP with the calorie adjustment?

So, for example, you run for 10 minutes and take 1000 steps. Log the run in runkeeper. Do you lose the 1000 steps when the data is recorded back in fitbit?

I hope that makes sense.
  • FitnessOverFood
    Options
    I unlinked Runkeeper and Fitbit, and only have my MFP stats going to Fitbit. (With runkeeper stats going to MFP).

To prevent any potential "double syncing" my loop is:
    Runkeeper -> MFP -> Fitbit

I don't not have a direct Runkeeper to Fitbit link.
  • FitnessOverFood
    Options
    Pgallett: from what I'm noticing, you do not lose steps by logging an exercise.

I think Fitbit takes the data from that time frame, and associates those step to that activity. i.e. During the 10 minute run, you took 1000 steps.

As far as the calorie adjustment, I'm still have trouble understanding it myself. But I've not noticed any discrepancies that alarm me.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Following.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Correct, manually entered or synced workouts to Fitbit merely replace the calories - all other stats remain like steps and distance.
    - With one exception to manually logging walking or running on Fitbit directly, your entered distance will replace that estimate, and your stride length is then used with that distance to calculate steps and that is replaced too.

But with syncing as described - only calories.

And the calorie adjustment is merely the difference between Fitbit reported daily burn, and MFP estimated daily burn without or with logged exercise.
    You could exercise and be super lazy and get negative.
    You could be super active and no exercise and get positive.
  • JosephCook1978
    JosephCook1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm doing something right, can anyone please help me? I have MFP, Runkeeper, and the Fitbit app and am confused. I track my run with Runkeeper. Then open the Fitbit which syncs with my Fitbit then I open MFP and as you can see in the pictures Ive burned a lot of calories. Do I need to not sync Runkeeper with MFP? it appears I'm getting extra burnt calories from the actual walk / JOg and the steps from the Fitbit.

nzllewxjkm1u.jpg
  • heybales
    Options
    Reread post right above yours.

Are you syncing Runkeeper with Fitbit and MFP?
  • JosephCook1978
    Options
    I believe everything is synced. Once I saw the calorie count number I removed the walking 472 calories but then my 749 Fitbit calories changed to 1221 so it still added them together. There is no way I could have burned that many calories in one day is there? Is there an order I should sync? Thanks for any and all help.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Here is an example that might be more clear (because of the huge difference in calorie burn). I went hiking and tracked it with Runkeeper, which syncs with MFP. Fitbit also syncs with MFP. As you can see, Fitbit's calorie adjustment does NOT include the hiking calories burned (otherwise it would be much, much larger).jdnqfk26r3kz.jpg
    MFP.jpg 66.5K
  • heybales
    Options
    I believe everything is synced. Once I saw the calorie count number I removed the walking 472 calories but then my 749 Fitbit calories changed to 1221 so it still added them together. There is no way I could have burned that many calories in one day is there? Is there an order I should sync? Thanks for any and all help.

No no - my question was specific there for a reason - do you have it synced to both accounts?

Above post shows proper way to do it, and yes, you could have big adjustments.

Perhaps @midwesterner85 didn't hike, but just walked, so he trusted the Fitbit calorie estimate.
    Those extra calories, and whatever else in the day caused more calories than MFP was aware of, would show up under Fitbit adjustment.

That adjustment is NOT just exercise, so no way of knowing if yours sounds high, because you could be very active during the day - more than you think.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

No no - my question was specific there for a reason - do you have it synced to both accounts?

Perhaps @midwesterner85 didn't hike, but just walked, so he trusted the Fitbit calorie estimate.
    Those extra calories, and whatever else in the day caused more calories than MFP was aware of, would show up under Fitbit adjustment.

That adjustment is NOT just exercise, so no way of knowing if yours sounds high, because you could be very active during the day - more than you think.

No, I was hiking. You are correct in that the true number of calories burned was probably a bit more because I was hiking with a 15-20 lb. pack. I will add, though, that Fitbit looked at elevation changes as though I was climbing stairs. On that day, I went over 3 small mountains, so you can imagine how many "floors" it thought I climbed.

Yes, I probably burned a few more calories than that. Nonetheless, the math used by MFP is to adjust the Fitbit additional calories for the hiking calories. And I would rather burn more calories than it thinks I did rather than less.
  • JosephCook1978
    Options
    Thanks for your help, I saw today where Fitbit adjusted for everything by reducing calories to adjust for the other apps. So I guess the app kind of knows how to figure it all out in the end. lol.
  • heybales
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

No, I was hiking. You are correct in that the true number of calories burned was probably a bit more because I was hiking with a 15-20 lb. pack. I will add, though, that Fitbit looked at elevation changes as though I was climbing stairs. On that day, I went over 3 small mountains, so you can imagine how many "floors" it thought I climbed.

Yes, I probably burned a few more calories than that. Nonetheless, the math used by MFP is to adjust the Fitbit additional calories for the hiking calories. And I would rather burn more calories than it thinks I did rather than less.

Oh, I believed you hiked, I just meant as example, if that workout had not been hiking but rather walking, and you let Fitbit estimate it.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for your help, I saw today where Fitbit adjusted for everything by reducing calories to adjust for the other apps. So I guess the app kind of knows how to figure it all out in the end. lol.

Unless you sync RunKeeper to MFP and Fitbit both.

Then you will have double workouts and double calories for that time.

So it's easy to confirm.

But that's why my question was specific.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jrhagenn
    jrhagenn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding the fitbit calorie adjustment, when i view the adjustment in the mfp app it comes up at a -146 but when i view it online it shows up as +146 and then shows that i have 1116 calories left for the day instead of 694....Can anyone help me understand this?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    JHagenD wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time understanding the fitbit calorie adjustment, when i view the adjustment in the mfp app it comes up at a -146 but when i view it online it shows up as +146 and then shows that i have 1116 calories left for the day instead of 694....Can anyone help me understand this?

Yes, MFP makes it confusing with the + and - signs being different on the web vs. the smartphone app. The result doesn't change. Examples:

2,000 calories for the day, 500 calories consumed and 100 calories burned from Fitbit:

2,000 - 500 + 100 = 1,600 calories remaining
    Calorie allotment - calories already consumed + additional calories for exercise

2,000 - (500-100) = 1,600 calories remaining
    Calorie allotment - net calories*

*Net calories = calories consumed - calories burned

The total calculation comes out the same regardless, but I agree it can be difficult to follow if you use both a computer and a smartphone simply because it is not consistent.