Tracking or Non-Tracking

Options
Just wondering if most people track their non-fast days or just go with your body? I don't want to count calories for the rest of my life but also don't want to overeat.

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why not try both? Many don't lose fat or very slow if they don't track, but if you do there's no reason to do it. Personally I have to, so greedy, lol. I also use it as a tool, call it a school if you like, to be able to be better at guesstimating when I've reached GW.

So do as suit your overall goals :)
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am tracking everything, but when I get to goal I will probably relax a bit more and just monitor occasionally.
  • turnercherrie
    Options
    I'm all about tracking, my inability to eat correctly and judge porting sizes is the reason I'm on the 5:2 plan.

I am hoping with time that portions will come more natural
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For me I've had to go back to strict tracking...I went off it and gained nearly 5 lbs back from when I started 5:2. I agree that you should give both a try, but if you want to make sure you are not eating too much on non-fast days then do track. But then also track exercise as well (you can eat those cals back too).
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I track but more out of curiosity than calorie counting. I like knowing what's in my food. Keeping track helps me work out what causes what. For example if I eat weetbix, I'm horribly grumpy in the afternoons. Iced coffee goes straight through me... But only in a low calorie day etc
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I need to track everything, even though after 25years of dieting I am quite good at knowing portion sizes and calories, for me it's about the accountability, if I don't track a part of my brain thinks the calories dont count and I lose control, but I have always lost weight if I track what I eat
  • shoegal_81
    shoegal_81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I need to track everything, even if it's a bad day. Burying my head in the sand is how I became over weight. This plan has made me appreciate how something that you think is healthy is actually quite high in calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I do, though not very strictly. It's just a habit now, takes up maybe 5 minutes of my day.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I try to, but not always.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bburg86 wrote: »
    I try to, but not always.

This ^^^ I log in every day to keep my logging streak going and start off with good intentions by planning everythign in but I freely admit that towards the end of the day (and for most weekends) I don't stick to it religiously. Its more of a habit than anything else.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I'm all about tracking, my inability to eat correctly and judge porting sizes is the reason I'm on the 5:2 plan.

I am hoping with time that portions will come more natural

Ditto!

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I tracked religiously for over 1 yr every day. I tried not tracking on non fast days for a month or so and slowly gained, but the constant counting was also getting to my head. As I'm kind of in maintainance mode anyway (2-3kg to my actual goal, but holding this weight for 11months now), I track some days and don't track others. Sometimes I track my meals, sometimes my treats. My problem is, if I leave the tracking all together, my portions of the cal dense foods tend to grow.... I am always able to eat more than my body actually needs, which is why counting is key for me.

For people with good portion control, counting isn't as necessary.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »

Uh, where can I buy some of that? :wink:

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    flumi_f wrote: »

Uh, where can I buy some of that? :wink:

Don't know! I've been looking for it for years :p
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did MFP about 2 years ago and lost just over a stone, since then 6lbs crept back on. I decided to get back in control and set an even lower goal. So I came back to MFP to re-discipline myself. For me it's about understanding there will always be times I have to keep my eye on the ball. In life we all have periods where staying focused and in control are a doddle, but life does not run to a plan and we all get down, we all lose our focus and we all have times where we stray or are thrown into mental darkness and lose ourselves in the wilderness. I'm in a good place currently, I know what I can eat and have a handle on what's in food so I'm not logging my food, everything is fine. But I will stay on MFP (this time) as I know I will need this toolbox again one day, I am only human
    :)
  • WestieBestie84
    WestieBestie84 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Think I'm going to go with the flow - track on days I can and if not will try and be more focused myself.
    - Love your idea Foxy that when you're feeling in a good place you try and do yourself.
    - Thanks for all your advise everyone xx