Protein

Options
Farmgirlfit85
Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
How does everyone keep their protein up without necessarily eating meat and dairy all the time. I'm not opposed to eating them, but I try to avoid grocery store meat and dairy, and I'm a college student so I'm watching my dollars. Oh, and I try not to eat soy. Sounds like I don't have any other options lol. How much protein do we really need?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    A meta-analysis of many studies involving lifters prepping for show - so absolutely NOT wanting to lose muscle while dieting the fat away, showed a fail-safe of 0.82 grams per lb of body weight.
    That's why the often recommended 1 g per lb of LBM (you'll need a bodyfat% estimate) hits that.

If no liver issues, anything more isn't useful for that purpose then, though pocketbook impact could be high.
    But it could help with meals feeling full, satiety. But then again, when eating more, that reason may not be needed either.

Do you do whey? That's a good complete protein, and don't need fancy brands with super special formulations for basic needs. Just something on days that are low, with some milk perhaps.

When eating at maintenance, protein needs just aren't as high.
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't have advice but I feel your pain. So much meat is expensive and not very environmentally friendly. I don't eat any dairy so I just eat a lot of eggs and meat. I do eat tofu sometimes but can't eat a lot of it. I wish I felt better eating a lot of beans.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat a lot of tuna fish, cottage cheese (this almost every single day), yogurt and supplement with protein shakes & bars (I love myprotein.com as it's inexpensive but good). I roast a whole chicken a lot and that becomes multiple meals for cheap. I used to eat a lot of quinoa (which has good protein for a grain) but my husband doesn't love it so eat less. I try to get a minimum of 100 grams of protein.
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! But it is so expensive these days...I swear it is like $5/lb whereas brown rice is around $1-$1.5.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Costco has good deals on quinoa :D
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    Awesome tips! Thank you. A question about whey, other than smoothies, how can I incorporate it into my food? I like quinoa too, I add it to yogurt. Winco has good prices too, if you've got one in your area.
  • heybales
    Options
    I just do a protein/milk mix before bed, especially if this is the repair night from a good workout.
    Body will be able to use it.

I've heard of in yogurt though, or fruit juices, ect.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I added a scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal I make (usually a batch does me 4-5 days)
  • heybales
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    I added a scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal I make (usually a batch does me 4-5 days)

I keep forgetting to do that backpacking, because oatmeal packets are usually low protein, but nice to start the day with a tad more protein by just mixing some in.
    Thanks for reminder.
    Now I just have to remember until next winter.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    Ah! That's great! I love oatmeal but feel guilty since I could be eating a higher protein option. And that is a good idea for backpacking.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Whole grains often have more protein than you think! Beans are also a good protein source, although they aren't complete. Unfortunately, animal products really are superior in the protein department :(
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Quinoa can be used in many different ways and I find it basically takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with so it's really versatile. I make oatmeal and quinoa (half & half), quinoa salads with chicken or tuna, veggies and sometimes add chickpeas or other legumes. Mix quinoa with a little meat and beans and use for tacos or enchiladas. Thanks for posting the tips on where to buy for cheaper. I've noticed the price has gone WAY up. I think due to the fact that it's becoming more popular.

I make my own yogurt, so will strain out the whey (to make it thicker) and use in smoothies or add to soup or a pot of beans. It freezes really well.

I also have a great protein powder from Sun Warrior that is plant based (soy free). I use it in smoothies mostly, but want to try in oatmeal one of these days.

You can also add chia seeds to just about everything - smoothies, oatmeal, salads, soup, meat dishes. It has quite a bit of protein, too.
  • jennabridgers
    jennabridgers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has a 0% Greek yogurt with 22g protein in a cup. Oikos Triple Zero is another one with 15 g. Don't know how you feel about dairy, but if you can handle it, these are great!