not sleeping! help!

kmdigan
kmdigan Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm sure this is an issue others have experienced but I can't find the thread. I have been doing the keto thing for close to 3 weeks, aiming to stay under 20g total of carbs (although realistically I'm closer to 30 on occasion)

My issue is I can't sleep. For example, I finally fell asleep around 12:45am last night but woke up at 2am wide awake. This has been my life for the last 2 weeks, of 3 weeks worth of keto. My vitamin D was low when I went to the doctor so now I'm also taking 50,000 units of D3 weekly. Prescription sleeping pills aren't helping, exercise and the D3 aren't doing anything either. It's also weird because for only getting an hour or two of sleep at night, I'm pretty wide awake and energetic all day.

I've Googled this issue and found mixed reviews. Has anyone experienced this and what has helped you? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2015
    Have you tried taking a Magnesium sup before bed? This helps me fight the insomnia from time to time.
  • kmdigan
    kmdigan Posts: 11 Member
    No I have not. Is it available in the vitamin section?
  • vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    Yes! I found mine at the local Walmart.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Melatonin and L-Theanine are to OTC supplements than can help with sleep. Melatonin has never worked for me. L-Theanine did but was expensive.

Also Inositol (found in more specialized pharmacies, not all of them) can help, too, but it affects other things, improving them, etc. (increased fertility, reversal of BCP, etc., are great for most, not for me. Low doses work for mental clarity and function.)

Easiest thing I have found is to have a good portion of fat with dinner and listen to meditation music while settling to sleep. Magnesium and potassium (mainly in lite salt) I only use intermittently. Warm broth might also help.

Make sure that Vitamin D3 is taken early (I take mine between 9-10...anything after 1 pm messes with me some)... And Ambien and the like are utter crap...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    In addition to @KnitOrMiss's advice, I suggest turning off TVs and mobile devices an hour before bed, maybe even turn down the lights and spark some candles. No blue lights.

Then I'd suggest finding some breathing exercises to do when you lay down in bed.

Good luck!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Good suggestions from bubbles. I also installed this blue light squelcher on my laptop:
    https://justgetflux.com/

I used to stay up till the wee hours, but this seems to help resync my circadian rhythm.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    When you're looking at magnesium, your best bet is magnesium citrate. It will have both words in bold on the label instead of just "magnesium." Different types are absorbed differently, and some can do a number on your digestive system.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Also, make sure you're getting enough sodium. Insomnia is also a symptom of sodium deficiency and can start at the mild levels.

If you're doing everything else right, you may also just need to ride it out. Sounds like your body has more energy than you know what to do with. Might be worth backing off any coffee and/or coconut oil (or MCT oil) if you're consuming it for now, at least after noon. Both are known for their energizing effects and may be causing or exacerbating your issue.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Coconut oil can keep you awake? Dang. I haven't been sleeping well either. I thought it was other things, and I know those things play a part. I will start paying attention to it after noon.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    I second magnesium to aid in sleep. I like to take relaxing baths, so I get my magnesium through episom salt baths.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Magnesium extremely important with eating low carb. I agree that it aids getting good sleep. I take magnesium glycinate, which is supposed to be a very absorbable form. Just avoid magnesium oxide. Worthless.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    I had and still have issues with sleep. I have more energy on this WOE. you are not alone. My older sister has the same issue. We both have sleep issues before this diet but not to this level . I have figured out that I just don't need as much sleep! If I look at it that way it seems worth it. It happens less often now that I have been eating this way for several months.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    I only eat coconut oil in the morning and take magnesium, potassium and keep my sodium supplemented too. It is better but still happens that I have severe delayed sleep onset .
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    wabmester wrote: »
    Good suggestions from bubbles. I also installed this blue light squelcher on my laptop:

I used to stay up till the wee hours, but this seems to help resync my circadian rhythm.
    This sounds good. Sometimes my computer monitors (I have 3 side-by-side) feel like they're boring into my head. Not often, but it's not pleasant when it happens. However, we go to bed around 2am, do you think this light squelcher would knock my body clock around?

We go to bed at this time because of work and it's been the same for 8 years.

• Dragonwolf
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Coconut oil can keep you awake? Dang. I haven't been sleeping well either. I thought it was other things, and I know those things play a part. I will start paying attention to it after noon.

Yeah, the MCTs are like jet fuel for humans. The effect is generally more profound with the refined MCT oil, especially when combined with caffeine (hi, bulletproof coffee!), but some who are sensitive to the effects may see it elsewhere.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    wabmester wrote: »

This sounds good. Sometimes my computer monitors (I have 3 side-by-side) feel like they're boring into my head. Not often, but it's not pleasant when it happens. However, we go to bed around 2am, do you think this light squelcher would knock my body clock around?

We go to bed at this time because of work and it's been the same for 8 years.

If you need to stay up till 2am, then those bright monitors will help you accomplish that.

I used to always stay up till 2-3am. It's considered a sleep disorder:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_disorder

I now usually go to sleep before midnight, and that software seems to help, but it could also be because I'm exercising more, eating differently, etc.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited March 2015
    Please notify Wiki that it's not a sleep disorder for everyone that does it ;) For me, it's a husband who comes home from work between midnight and 1am, and I want to be a good wife and be here to make him a drink, greet him, hear about his 'day' and help him unwind before we both go to bed - together, as husband and wife should ;) (where that's possible).

It's difficult when there are multiple changes to know which benefit to attribute to which change for sure.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Please notify Wiki that it's not a sleep disorder for everyone that does it ;) For me, it's a husband who comes home from work between midnight and 1am, and I want to be a good wife and be here to make him a drink, greet him, hear about his 'day' and help him unwind before we both go to bed - together, as husband and wife should ;) (where that's possible).

It's difficult when there are multiple changes to know which benefit to attribute to which change for sure.

Good for you, GrannyMay! And good for your marriage! <3
  • vanhavely wrote: »
    Have you tried taking a Magnesium sup before bed? This helps me fight the insomnia from time to time.
    Magnesium oil spray is also good.
  • Dragonwolf
    Delana553 wrote: »
    vanhavely wrote: »
    Magnesium oil spray is also good.

So is an epsom salt bath. Bonus points for some relaxing aromatherapy in said bath. :)