New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• ankalime
    ankalime Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hazycook wrote: »
    Hey, guys. Im new! Im hoping for some great ideas and recipes for diabetics. I recently found out I am borderline-my numbers are just high enough to notice but not enough for meds and the whole routine. I would like to avoid that. Losing weight and starting an exercise routine will help. I am new at diabetes too, so not 100% sure of everything I need to watch. Just breifly reading through some of your posts, sure looks like I have tons to learn. Would love to swap recipes and ideas with someone who has experience in this.

Welcome! You're on the right track when you say losing weight and exercise will help. I love to cook, so if you're looking for a recipe in particular, I might have one, or we could swap ideas on how to make it more diabetes friendly.

Feel free to jump into the Discussion area with questions, people are pretty friendly. :)
  • ankalime
    ankalime Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm St George.
    While in the pulmonologist office for Bronchitis I saw on my chart that I'm now listed as type 2 Diabetic. Have had high glucose for several years but no one mentioned diabetes. My Internist never treated me for it. I'd like to use a low GI diet to bring the number down but haven't found one. I've been using My fitness for several years with some success but I have only been viewing calories and exercise, not food content. Can it track carbs and Glucose Index?

Hi St. George,

MFP will track carbs. Go to your home page on MFP, click Settings, then Food and Exercise Diary Settings. Under "Nutrients Tracked", add Carbohydrates. It's also useful to track Fat, Protein, and Fiber as well. I don't believe it has a specific setting for GI, though, but I could be mistaken. I haven't found low glycemic foods to be helpful for me, so I haven't looked for anything on MTP on it.

Your physician should be talking with you about this diagnosis and an appropriate treatment regimen. This isn't a disease you should have to tackle alone, and it can have serious consequences if not treated. If your doctor won't talk with you--find another. In any case, I hope you'll stick around and let us know what happens.

• AarchAngel
    AarchAngel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Allen, diagnosed Type 2 Oct 2013. Put on metformin 500 2xday with an A1c of 6.8 and weighing in at about 345.

I'm 42, untill Feb 24 then I'm turning 21, getting a fake id to prove it. Always been fairly active, walked 3miles to work, 3miles home and either unloaded trucks or pushed carts for 8 hours at Wal-Mart.

Now I have ddd, ddj, spinal stenosis pinched nerve root in my L1-L5 as well as my neck. So I can barely walk a block and can't stand more than 20 min at a time.

Started watching what I ate a bit, stopped drinking Dr. Pepper and dropped to 274 and sure enough my A1c went from 6.8 to 8.6 to 9.
    5. When I get to 10 I'm going to sell.

I'm now on metformin 1000 2xday and levimer 20u 2xday though that may increase as my morning fast levels are high, 170+.

• selestarla
    selestarla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, Selena here. I was diagnosed with T2D in January 2015. Before that, I had been on metformin for "insulin resistance" that was showing in my blood work (I have a very progressive GYN who does a ton of bloodwork), but I passed it (that's a nice way of saying it) within 15 minutes of taking it after severe cramping. A few months of that, and I stopped it in December. Now my PCP is trying to see if it can be maintained by diet, and so far I'm down 13 lbs. He doesn't have me testing right now, and I go back in March for a repeat A1C to see if the changes I've made have helped. I actually wish that I were testing, just so I could see if they are. I desperately miss my fave foods, but if this is how I have to eat to spend more years with my children, I will. Oh, and I had gestational diabetes, so I knew this was a very real possibility.
  • sccjahab
    sccjahab Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lisa, I'm 50, 210lbs, with an A1C of 7.9. trying to lower my numbers (weight and A1C). I tend do well for a while and then get discouraged. Hoping that there is encouragement in numbers.
  • onesassyrn1969
    Options
    hello, new to MFP. diagnosed T2 approximately 3 years ago. had gestational diabetes 18 years ago, went away, then had it again 10 years ago. had been on metformin 1000mg, then 2000mg... too many side effects, tried onglyza about 2 months, not working. now have started farxiga this week. always looking for meal ideas! love pasta, rice, bread too much, it's sooo hard.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many new people! Welcome! I'm Amber. I live in Southern California. I was diagnosed in April 2014. My A1c was 11.4 when diagnosed. Started taking Glipizide and Metformin. Now I'm just on one Metformin 500mg once a day. December 2014 it was 5.9. This is a great group! You can learn lots of new things. Feel free to add me! :)
  • Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 months ago (at 28) with an A1C of 8.1% :( They "think" it's LADA (type 1.5) I was on metformin 500mg BID for 4 days then it was confirmed I was in DKA (Don't ever go into DKA! Lol) spent 5 days inpatient and was discharged on lantus and novo rapid. Since then I have stopped the before meals novo rapid and slowly stopping Lantus and will be on no medication :D Not a group I wanted to join but sometimes the hardest things are really blessings in disguise!
  • SONKISSED1
    SONKISSED1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I was just diagnosed with T2. Diabetes runs rampet on both sides of my family and I thought that I would be the one it would skip. I guess not. I have been a prediabetic for about 2 years and was told I could turn it around by losing weight. That didn't happen (low metabolism, lack of exercise and a great fondness for food). I am finally taking responsibility. My A1c reading was 6.9. I am experiencing tingling in my fingertips and toes. My doctor finally diagnosed me. Yesterday morning's FBS was 130 and this morning's reading was 115. I don't really understand why the difference is so great, although I am happy it was lower. I am currently on Metformin 500mg once a day. My challenge right now is how to make it through the day. My day starts v ery early (4ish) but I wait until I get to work to eat breakfast (9ish). My day is pretty long and when I come home I am ready to eat just about anything I can get my hands on. I really need a plan! I would appreciate any suggestions. Also looking for friends!!! :D
  • maryedwardsfrank
    Options
    I am Mary. I was diagnosed with type 2 on September 12, 2014. I was so shocked. I went for an eye blurring issue, doctor came in & said you have diabetes. Well my A1C was 12.2. I thought if you exercise as much as I do, you wouldn't have that kimd of issue. Wrong! I have always hike 1-3 hours a day. I went to a nutritionist followed the plan religiously, continued exercising. As of January 27, 2015 I am off of all my diabetic medications. My A1C is now 5.5. I never want to go back to the horrors at the beginning. My eyesight was so bad, I guess you can say I was scared straight. I have also heard that type 2 is a progressive disease, so I want to learn as much as I can, to prevent serious harm to my body.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been diabetic for about 10 years I managed to control it with diet and exercise for the first 8 and I've been on Metformin for about 2. I followe carbs in moderation until recently when I decided I'm not processing carbs well at anymore. Now most of my carbs are from veggies and a little dairy. Occasionally some berries. I've recently stopped taking Metformin in the AM though as it makes my sugar too low through the day. My current struggle is with dawn phenomenon. I think more exercise would help but I've had a hard time doing that lately. Anyway I'm glad to find this group!
  • BrownEyes1939
    BrownEyes1939 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, my name is Raelin. I'm a 24yr old female. I've been type 2 diabetic since I was 12yrs old. I've always been overweight and had horrible eating habits. I started out on pills, mostly actos and metformin. I was then put on lantus and humalog injections. Come to find out ( after switching doctors ) I am insulin resistant, I produce enough insulin on my own and can control my diabetes with diet and exercise. Currently on lisinopril, janumet, and invokana. I've made some serious changes in the past 2.5 weeks. I stopped drinking pop, I only drink water and the occasional glass or OJ or milk. I only eat chicken, fish, veggies, and fruit. I have lost 16 lbs and looking to lose about 95 more!!! Would love to help motivate others and support for myself also!! Feel free to add me!!
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am Alan I was diagnosed 15 years ago. I have used actos, glimipiride, lantus, novalog, metformin, and other diabetic medicines and still managed to run high sugars averaging in 200's I started Invokana in December on the 300 mg dose and started reducing my insulin.
    More recently I started a weight loss drug, Curbed my eating i am using this website to help me lose weight. I currently do not use any diabetic drugs other than 1/2 a pill of my invokana and my blood sugars are ok. I have lost 45 lbs since November. Over 100 to go.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hello, I don't remember when I was diagnosed but was over 5 years ago. I currently take Metformin, Onglyza and Glyburide at maximum doses. Doc says insulin is next if my A1C doesn't come down.
    Have a reaction to my glucose getting below 120 where I start having Hypoglycemic type symptoms. Mostly upset stomach, sweating and shaky. Will be talking to my Doc about it on Friday. Really upsetting to be in a normal range and feel so horrible.
    Have lost 60lbs in the last 5 years, still 90 to go.
    Looking for people like me who have had similar reactions.
  • Sharntel50
    Sharntel50 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Sharn,

I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in 2005. My physician said then that because I did not have a history of diabetes in my family it was more an issue of diet and exercise. I was on Metformin for a spell then Glucophage. Both made me extremely ill and my A1C lowered significantly so I was able to come off. In 2010 my A1C rose to 13 so it's been insulin every since. I take lantus twice a day. In 2012 I visited Kripalu Yoga and Retreat center in Stockbridge, Mass. That was such a wonderful experience as I took a 5 day course called Integrative Weight Loss. Although they have a course for diabetes, my doctor felt this one would be best as it encompass the whole body and not just the illness. Anyway, I am still learning how to manage this illness, still working towards weight loss and still embracing a healthier lifestyle. The goal is to come off of the insulin period. I look forward to the inspiration and communication.
  • tazman2369
    tazman2369 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    i am Gus , and yes i too have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,and it nearly got the best of me before i found out. Thank god i caught it when i did or i probably would not be here to be talking to you all. Yes it was that high. in less than a month i have been able to keep it down below 115(fasting) with meds, exercise and a good diet.
    look forward to kicking the meds eventually and helping anyone who needs it .
  • davidbrucedavis
    davidbrucedavis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm Dave. 50 with T2, DX'd in 2012. Struggling with weightloss and jumping back on the wagon now. :smile: Feel free to add me as a friend on MFP if you'd like. I want to get more involved in the community out here.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm a really new noobie. I was only diagnosed in late January of this year. Starting BG levels was 345, and A1C of 11%. My goal is to manage my condition with diet and exercise, but I am currently taking 1000mg/day of Metformin. I'm down 34lbs so far, swimming 45 minutes a day, eating about 1200-1800 calories a day, and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (folk remedy). In the last week or so my fasting BG is about 97, my post-meal is about 115. Unlike many people I hear talk about diabetes I cannot 'feel' any difference between my sugar highs and lows. I mostly feel hungry, but I consider that a required change.

Friend me if you wish.
  • charityboyd1974
    charityboyd1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Charity and new to the group. I was diagnosed with T2 in Oct 2014. I've been through wellness class and have been eating healthier and managing with Metformin, diet and exercise. I was initially on insulin and was able to come off in a month and recently tried Victoza but within a week stopped taking. I am still new to Diabetes and always looking for support and knowledge from other (especially with recipes :smiley:)
  • KristyRunyon81
    KristyRunyon81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Kristy and I was diagnosed with Type 2 in December of 2014. Since then I have changed my eating habits drastically. I have been blogging my experience here: http://www.pinkelephantsisters.blogspot.com/ It has really helped me along with MFP.