what has been the best/worst health impact for you on keto?

Options
JojoBeales74
JojoBeales74 Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
I'm asking because so far keto is changing g my life and that of my friends. I have multiple connective tissue disorder and psoriatic arthritis, fatigue, chronic pain and swelling so I started this way of eating for health reasons (weight loss and true added bonus)
Before this diet I was on painkillers everyday and Dr's wanted me on a chemotherapy drugs for the rest of my life. SIX WEEKS of this diet and taking supplements I am almost pain free,inflammation down dramatically, lost 21lbs, my head clear, skin no longer dry and irritated and thinking wow this is the start of a new me!
So what have been your health impacts?

Replies

• dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    the bad- trouble sleeping, some hair loss (less density pretty much all over- would love an opinion on this), dark circles under my eyes much more apparent (i understand that fat helps hide the circles- and my face has lost quite a bit.)

the good- less chronic pain, less heartburn, more energy, wt. loss, looking better in my clothes, and I bet my blood panel will look great when it is checked by my doctor.
  • JojoBeales74
    JojoBeales74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Trouble sleeping ok are you taking magnesium? My friends and I sleep better kn this diet. Hope it sorts itself out.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I came into it backwards. I started on an elimination diet, trying to isolate all the things that were causing inflammation and water retention. There was already a list of things I couldn't eat because of bypass, they literally block my stomach and won't let any food through. Also had flare ups of ulcers for a while I had to work around, and between that and really bad GERD, did permanent damage to my teeth. That means anything super carb heavy or sweet causes intolerable mouth pain.

What I was left with was LC, and for convenience sake, keto, since I don't get hungry. The ulcers were treated, the GERD continued a while, but is completely gone on LC. The mouth pain is controlled. The inflammation is better and the water retention is generally beyond the control of any WOE, but I'm not actively making it worse.
  • dawlfin318
    Options
    Trouble sleeping ok are you taking magnesium? My friends and I sleep better kn this diet. Hope it sorts itself out.

I take magnesium twice a day, as well as potassium, and get my sodium from bullion every day.

My doctor says this diet it very energizing(stimulating)- which I have definitely noticed. I am starting today, to get exercise in daily, so I get tired enough to fall asleep (my brain just wont shut off when I want it to). Not always stress related- sometimes it is the chorus of a song that just keeps playing, like my brain says it must use up the extra energy since I am just lying in bed and not using it.

I used to come home exhausted from work(on my feet all day- getting about 10,000 or more steps in daily). Now I feel good enough to cook, shop and clean the house on weeknights.

Right now my new BFF is Ambien- until we get this figured out. Not going to let it keep me from this new WOE!

Thanks Jojo for asking. :-)
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Best: Normalized Blood Glucose levels...finally. Reduced overall inflammation and pain. Sharper brain function. Increased energy and the ability to exercise. Decreased histamine responses and mast cell degranulation.

Worst. High energy levels at bedtime. Occasional cramping and dehydration.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Benefits: continued weight loss, less hunger, more energy (which admittedly could be from the weight loss), improving cholesterol numbers.

No real cons so far. My intermittent insomnia seems no better/worse on keto than before.

(Disclaimer: I lost 80.7lbs between April 18th and October 11th with just CICO, and have lost 60 additional pounds since then on keto. So mixed bag, seeing what's just from weight loss and what's from keto)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    My doctor says this diet it very energizing(stimulating)- which I have definitely noticed. I am starting today, to get exercise in daily, so I get tired enough to fall asleep (my brain just wont shut off when I want it to). Not always stress related- sometimes it is the chorus of a song that just keeps playing, like my brain says it must use up the extra energy since I am just lying in bed and not using it.

Have you ever tried listening to calming music/meditation/ASMR audios when its time to sleep? I've learned a lot about ideal "sleep hygiene" lately, but am not ready to implement most of it because of what you mention, my mind simply will not shut off. I also take Ambien, eventually I want to get off it but its on the low end of priorities for me, as I have had no ill effects from it and have never had to increase my dosage or anything. I personally don't like the meditation type things on youtube, but I love ASMR. Once I'm ready to try to fall asleep, I take my ambien and put on a playlist of ASMR videos (typically whisper/ramble stuff) and it helps a bit with the mind racing issues and seems to help me fall asleep more easily.

Like you, mind racing isn't always a sign of stress or anything being wrong, its just what happens to me and has since I was a kid.

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Biggest Pro: Blood sugar/diabetes control, that has by far given me the most improvement in my life on keto.

Cons: No straight up negatives for me, to be honest. There are some things that have not improved for me that lots of others on keto talk about, digestion (no more gas/bloating) and sleep issues being the main ones.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    radiii wrote: »

Have you ever tried listening to calming music/meditation/ASMR audios when its time to sleep? I've learned a lot about ideal "sleep hygiene" lately, but am not ready to implement most of it because of what you mention, my mind simply will not shut off. I also take Ambien, eventually I want to get off it but its on the low end of priorities for me, as I have had no ill effects from it and have never had to increase my dosage or anything. I personally don't like the meditation type things on youtube, but I love ASMR. Once I'm ready to try to fall asleep, I take my ambien and put on a playlist of ASMR videos (typically whisper/ramble stuff) and it helps a bit with the mind racing issues and seems to help me fall asleep more easily.

Like you, mind racing isn't always a sign of stress or anything being wrong, its just what happens to me and has since I was a kid.

Type "A" personalities try to think of all the ways to "repair/fix" the world. It could be the problems in their family, financial matters, work related matters, etc. So, right before they go to bed, we now have a perfect, still, calm, silent, focused time to save the world and we commence thinking about how to save everybody/thing. This means we will now have insomnia.

I am one of those. If I listen to calming music, soothing-raindrops-in-the-forest-sounds, or "white noise" ~ it makes it worse. Music gives a nice background for me to think and solve all the world's troubles. So, about 8 years ago, I figured out that I need a distraction to make me not think about saving the world. I turn on someone speaking about a topic. It has to be something that I am willing to listen to but not upsetting (politics). This gets my mind off what I am trying to think about. In less than 15 minutes, I am asleep. I used to watch TV with a "sleep timer" set to 60 minutes (I don't have a tv in my room anymore, so I listen to talks as per above). If I travel, I use TV with a timer (in a hotel).

The trick is to find the right type of conversation to listen to that piques your interest enough to focus on it, but not to boring (which leads you to saving the world thinking). Not too "exciting" or that will keep you awake.

Another benefit to this method, is that when I wake up (like clockwork) at 4 pm to go pee, I can turn the talk back on when I get into bed and fall right back asleep. (With out a method to get back to sleep) I, like many, will start solving the world's problems again. Next thing you know, three hours has passed by and your alarm clock has gone off! You then only had about four hours of sleep and you feel like crap.

I am single, so I realize that turning on TV's and listening to people talk may not work with a spouse. They do make a nice fitting earbud that you can put in the your ear and then play your talks from a smart phone or MP3 player and your spouse will not hear a thing.

I have had so many problems with insomnia, that I have read four books on the subject. I am leaving out a lot of other tips and tricks, but the above works for me. YMMV.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

P.S. One of my favorite talks that I listen to is my Bible. I use Alexander Scourby's narration of the bible. I listen to Psalms, Gospels, etc. Works great.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the bad- trouble sleeping, some hair loss (less density pretty much all over- would love an opinion on this), dark circles under my eyes much more apparent (i understand that fat helps hide the circles- and my face has lost quite a bit.)

the good- less chronic pain, less heartburn, more energy, wt. loss, looking better in my clothes, and I bet my blood panel will look great when it is checked by my doctor.

A lot of your cons list is indicative of not eating enough. A lot of your days in your log show you 300-500 calories short. Make sure you're consistently getting enough food (Jimmy Moore goes into this quite a bit on his blog -- http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/7-lingering-myths-everyone-should-know-about-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/23384 )
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Best changes..
    I'm not as hungry, I don't feel swollen, I lose weight, I feel like I eat healthy.

Worst changes...
    I rarely poop.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I take magnesium twice a day, as well as potassium, and get my sodium from bullion every day.

I used to come home exhausted from work(on my feet all day- getting about 10,000 or more steps in daily). Now I feel good enough to cook, shop and clean the house on weeknights.

Right now my new BFF is Ambien- until we get this figured out. Not going to let it keep me from this new WOE!

Thanks Jojo for asking. :-)

regulating your circadian rhythm will help a lot with this. if you get 20 mins of direct morning sun on your skin & in your eyes, some outside time at sunset, devices and blaring artificial light off by 8:30 and in bed by 10pm (shooting for 8 hrs), your system will regulate itself pretty easily. i fall asleep easily at night, and usually sleep through, waking at dawn with no alarm.

having your sleep cycle jacked up raises your cortisol levels which is not good from a hormonal/metabolic standpoint.

good luck!
  • dawlfin318
    Options

TmDalton,

I don't always log all of my food- especially if i have no idea of how much of something i actually ate- would just be guessing. I just pick what foods I know are OK that are available to me. So far I am losing small amounts or staying the same weight-but not gaining- using this logic after the initial big weight loss. If I want to lose faster again, I will get strict with the carb counting again. But - 0.5lb/wk, or no wt gain, is OK with me at this point.

I am thinking of not reading in bed (I have a kindle)- will try to stay up later reading in the living room, and go to bed once I am sleepy, versus reading (in bed) for two hours and hoping to get sleepy that way. This never used to be a problem, but it looks like I need to have better sleep hygiene on this WOE. I got blue light blocking glasses, but getting the sun everyday is hard since I live in NY- and it is freezing!

I can't stay up too late past my routine bedtime (unfortunately my shifts vary from a 7am start to a 9am start - and this probably is part of the problem).

If I drink even a 4oz glass of dry red wine, I will not sleep. It is like I get a second wind.

Basically- ERRRRRRG! Frustrating!

-Dawl

• WisconsinFlyAnglerGirl
    Options
    Worst: Itchy, itchy boobs!!! There. I said it.
    Best: Completely off of anti depressants for the first time in over a decade!

Love keto. I'll deal with the itchy lady parts.
  • Katherine77777
    Katherine77777 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Have your adrenals checked via a 24 hr saliva cortisol test. If you're adrenals are over stressed it can affect your hpa axis and therefore give you secondary hypothyroidism, which is only due to weakened adrenals. Therefore fix adrenals and sleep is resumed and hairloss ceases.
    If it is found that you have high cortisol (which is indicative of sleeplessness) you can use cortisol blockers or inhibitors such as
    Phosphatidyl serine, relora, and rhodiola.

Hope this helps.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm asking because so far keto is changing g my life and that of my friends. I have multiple connective tissue disorder and psoriatic arthritis, fatigue, chronic pain and swelling so I started this way of eating for health reasons (weight loss and true added bonus)
    Before this diet I was on painkillers everyday and Dr's wanted me on a chemotherapy drugs for the rest of my life. SIX WEEKS of this diet and taking supplements I am almost pain free,inflammation down dramatically, lost 21lbs, my head clear, skin no longer dry and irritated and thinking wow this is the start of a new me!
    So what have been your health impacts?

I guess I never answered your question, sorry about that.

My list is so long that I had to make a diary/blog out of it. See link below my signature.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
  • Lil14U
    Lil14U Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Best: Reduced appetite, weight loss, clear moist skin and psoriatic arthritis in remission
    Worst: bad blood test results, Low HDL, high LDL, high triglycerides.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Lil14U wrote: »
    Best: Reduced appetite, weight loss, clear moist skin and psoriatic arthritis in remission

Did you get actual results like that after some time being keto? That shouldn't happen on keto (especially the high trigs). You might be intolerant to something you're eating. If you're not tracking, you might want to start for a few weeks and see if there's something you've increased your intake of since going keto and try omitting it for a month or two and get re-tested.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Lil14U wrote: »

High Trigs can also be indicative of low thyroid/hypothyroidism... Just FYI, if they didn't do comprehensive tests on that... (and the low end of the normal range might not be high enough for YOU...it wasn't for me.)
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Like Lil14U, my psoriatic arthritis hasn't been acting up in the six weeks since I went keto. :) It's wonderful.

I am also able to fall asleep quicker, and feel more rested in the morning. I have a new puppy in the house, and that sleep is vital.

I also tend to have chronic skin infections, and psoriasis flares, and those have lessened. I haven't had an infection since I started keto, and I'm hoping that they will stay away forever. I'm tired of antibiotics and scars. The psoriasis isn't flaking as bad, but the itching is still there, so as long as I don't have gross patches of skin on view, I can live with the itching.

My last a1c in October was 4.9, on <25 carbs, so it will be interesting to see if adding all that fat will have made my numbers change at all. I have kept my T2 under control with food for well over a decade by low carbing, so I don't expect huge returns, but a modest drop would be nice.