Your Favorite Weird-ish LC Meal

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    You're confusing me. As you try to convert everyone that its possible to eat a huge amount of calories, keep your carbs next to zero and not gain weight, (AND I BELIEVE YOU), but explain the other tenet of a Ketogenic diet, and that is "to reduced hunger"? (you probably know the low fat/grain/carb eating diets and how the hormones and enzymes that get released that make carb-eaters super hungry).

This tenet doesn't seem to be working with you? Or what is going on? I mean, if newbies are looking at your meal plan, they may be scratching their heads and ask themselves, "I thought hunger was reduced on this diet?".

Edumacate me on this dynamic.

I don't think everyone should eat huge amounts of calories. It's important to point out that I usually only talk about my huge eating days. I don't bother talking about the day when I wasn't really that interested in eating and only hit 1,800 calories. On a weekly basis, the whole amount eaten averages out to about 2,500-2,600 calories. I try and include that point whenever I talk about a 4,300 calorie day. Because that almost certainly means there were 3-4 days near or under 2,000.

I can be sure that my hunger signals aren't out of whack because my weight is going in the right direction (or staying the same) most weeks. If I was gaining weight and still found myself hungry all the time, that would be a sign that something was wrong. I'm actually rarely "hungry" in the sense that I crave food. It is more of an "I want to eat" signal and not an "I need to eat" one.

I happen to enjoy big feast days. I don't "not enjoy" the other days. I just find myself disinterested in the idea of eating much. Today, for example, I haven't eaten a whole lot. I had my typical breakfast and lunch (which amounts to about 1,200 calories), and I already can tell I won't be wanting a big dinner. I may only have an 8 oz steak, or less. Maybe I'll have a 12 oz one. I'll probably cook 12-16 oz, but I will only eat as much as I desire.

I do believe most people get a "reduced hunger" when going to keto, but primarily because their previous hunger levels were way too high. I think it's better to say that hunger more closely aligns with physical need. I am more hungry than most because I need more calories than most people. I am still losing weight, and I don't exactly have tons of weight left to go. When your weight is off to one extreme or another, your hunger is proportionately off to the inverse extreme. Someone who is under-weight will be hungrier than their ideal intake and someone who is over-weight will be less hungry than their ideal intake. As your weight returns to the natural weight your body desires, your appetite adjusts to return to the amount needed to maintain that natural weight. When I was heavier, I experienced the "disinterested in food" days much more frequently than I do now.

I couldn't physically force myself to eat a 52 oz steak every day (even if it was my only food). Heck, I couldn't even force myself to do it on that day. I eat as much as I desire. I often cook more than I end up eating, because I find myself full before I expected. It doesn't bother me. A steak I don't finish for dinner, makes an excellent breakfast or lunch the next day.

Now, I also do believe that the consequences of over-consumption when eating very-low-carb are minimal. Your body is just not that determined to store more of what it already has too much of. Can you force yourself to over-eat and eventually gain some weight? Yeah. But, it will almost certainly have to be intentional and the weight gain will be less than predicted. I think the experiment where the guy ate 5,794 calories/day -- http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/ -- and gained less than 20% of the predicted amount is a good example of how difficult it would be. It would be even harder for someone already heavier than they should be, because they would be trying to push their body even further away from equilibrium.

tl;dr: Hunger signals normalize as weight normalizes, which means they approach the correct amount you should be eating for your ideal weight.
    Dan the Man from Michigan

P.S. (I don't want this to turn into a huge debate, I will believe your explanation. Do NOT circle your wagons!). I'm not wanting a huge missive. I understand that everybody is different. I am just curious. Maybe your stomach is "stretched out" and you need that much to feel satiated. I know that there would be no way that I could eat that much now (my stomach feels full after about 8 oz of meat). But I am a LOW calorie person.

Sorry, I can't help the missive. It's who I am. But, you did bring up a good point. I don't think most people should eat as much as I do. I do believe they shouldn't fear the occasional high calorie day. I did have some 3,000+ calorie days even when losing my fastest (usually offset with some naturally 1,400-1,500 days). I almost believe, without any support, that those big days are "psychologically, physiologically, or hormonally" beneficial in some way. It's like they reassure the body that "food is ample, we can afford to down regulate our fat stores." Like I said, I have no evidence of that... no study that proves it... just a very strong hunch.

If you feel full and disinterested after 8 oz of meat, that's your body saying, "hey buddy, we've got plenty of fuel." I get that signal often. Sometimes, I get that signal all day whenever I think of food. I've been eating 2-4 meals a day recently, but it's not that rare for me to just not want food all day until I have a massive dinner.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I spread PB on ice burg lettuce and called it a Peanut Butter Sandwich. No regrets. Added some sugar free jelly, and called it a PB&J sandwich.

I've also mixed a chocolate fat bomb with bacon and called it chocolate covered bacon.

This one didn't actually happen, but I contemplated it for a solid 5 minutes. I make a keto peanut sauce (think Vietnamese food) with pb, vinegar, and soy sauce. I almost just wanted to spread the pb on my beef. If you couldn't tell, I love peanut butter way too much.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

<snip>

If you feel full and disinterested after 8 oz of meat, that's your body saying, "hey buddy, we've got plenty of fuel." I get that signal often. Sometimes, I get that signal all day whenever I think of food. I've been eating 2-4 meals a day recently, but it's not that rare for me to just not want food all day until I have a massive dinner.

Well said... thanks for the clarification. You probably "cringe" (I'm just guessing and could be wrong) when you see all the posts on this and Keto where people fret over bad/mistaken MFP entries and/or how we pay so much attention to counting calories.

I was cringing a little when I saw how big your steaks were... LOL! But your explanation sounds logical.

Thank you again....

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know if it is weird... but I did have a new coworker ask about my lunch. Another coworker said responded by telling her I follow a weird 'food thing'.

2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1 tablespoon mayo & salt - the best!

so yeah, I guess a variation of egg salad depending on if it was mixed together, but I can relate. It seems if you're at work and you're not eating a sandwich or variation there of... it's weird.

I think when you're low carb or keto.... weird is the norm.

I have two go to meals:
    #1 - ground beef, cheese, chopped onions and lots of mustard all mixed in a bowl
    #2 - 3 Eggs, 1c spinach, 4TB sourcream cooked over low heat mixing constantly. Comes out like a really soft pudding kinda thing. bf thinks it looks like barf. I admit it's better without the spinach lumps but can't be bothered to blend it.

In each I can up the cals simply by adding butter/oil/fat.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I tried to overeat meat recently after Goat's story about all-you-can-eat ribs. I ordered too many pork ribs. Simply could not eat them all. The protein satiety force is a strong one in me. :)
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    White albacore tuna in a can drained, 1 avacado mashed up , tablespoon of cream cheese spread , mix it up together split the mixture in two and put in 2 low carb tortillas shells and fold up like a burrito. It is delish! I want to try boiled eggs mixed in with it next.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

gsp90x wrote: »
    I don't know if it is weird... but I did have a new coworker ask about my lunch. Another coworker said responded by telling her I follow a weird 'food thing'.

2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1 tablespoon mayo & salt - the best!

so yeah, I guess a variation of egg salad depending on if it was mixed together, but I can relate. It seems if you're at work and you're not eating a sandwich or variation there of... it's weird.

I think when you're low carb or keto.... weird is the norm.

I have two go to meals:
    #1 - ground beef, cheese, chopped onions and lots of mustard all mixed in a bowl
    #2 - 3 Eggs, 1c spinach, 4TB sourcream cooked over low heat mixing constantly. Comes out like a really soft pudding kinda thing. bf thinks it looks like barf. I admit it's better without the spinach lumps but can't be bothered to blend it.

In each I can up the cals simply by adding butter/oil/fat.

Have you ever tried Craig's creamed cheese spinach recipe?
    http://www.ruled.me/cheesy-creamed-spinach/

I throw together little batches of that all the time as a side with eggs or pork chops.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I make keto chili (9g carbs/5g fiber per 1cup/250g serving) and chop up a boar's head hot dog into it, add yellow mustard and eat. Most kick-*kitten* chili dog ever.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You probably "cringe" (I'm just guessing and could be wrong) when you see all the posts on this and Keto where people fret over bad/mistaken MFP entries and/or how we pay so much attention to counting calories.

I do and I don't.

Sometimes I want to retort, "does it really matter if you're off by 5g of protein and 97 calories over a whole day?" I could point out that there's as much as 20% error allowed for nutritional information, and even if we assume the better range of only 10% error, we could still be off by more each day than some of the error sizes people worry about. Or how about the fact that there's no way to know, for sure, the exact nutritional composition of your steak (no matter how accurately you weighed it before cooking) because of a multitude of factors including: does it have more or less marbling than the USDA average sample for that cut, was it dry or wet aged, was it trimmed to the exact amount the USDA specifies for that cut, etc.

Then, I remind myself that I've been there. I've weighed every food I've put in my mouth to the gram. I've compared various entries to the best known information for a product to make sure I picked the most accurate nutritional information. I've included error estimations to know how fuzzy my numbers really were (this is actually part of what made me realize how futile it can be). I've tracked, I've weighed, I've even used the numbers for raw bacon and then subtracted the weight of the drained fat from it. I've worried about accounting for the fat grams lost from my burger when I cooked it on my Foreman grill.

I'm no better than anyone. I've been there. I grew weary of it and found a way that works, for me, without all the effort. But, I do understand the worry. I think it's unfounded. The truth is we just can't calorie count accurately enough to make minor adjustments. We can make huge, sweeping changes to force ourselves outside the margins of error, but that's about it. And, if we're making huge, sweeping changes anyway then being off by 30-40 calories on an entry isn't going to effect anything.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The truth is we just can't calorie count accurately enough to make minor adjustments. We can make huge, sweeping changes to force ourselves outside the margins of error, but that's about it. And, if we're making huge, sweeping changes anyway then being off by 30-40 calories on an entry isn't going to effect anything.

I don't make any attempt to be accurate, but I try to be conservative. I set my calorie target a bit low knowing that I'll often overshoot (sort of like setting your clock ahead so you're not late). I underestimate exercise calories, and I use the highest estimate for input calories when I'm unsure.

It seems to work for me. I'm not hungry, and I'm losing the weight at the rate I targeted.

• DittoDan
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The truth is we just can't calorie count accurately enough to make minor adjustments. We can make huge, sweeping changes to force ourselves outside the margins of error, but that's about it. And, if we're making huge, sweeping changes anyway then being off by 30-40 calories on an entry isn't going to effect anything.

I don't make any attempt to be accurate, but I try to be conservative. I set my calorie target a bit low knowing that I'll often overshoot (sort of like setting your clock ahead so you're not late). I underestimate exercise calories, and I use the highest estimate for input calories when I'm unsure.

It seems to work for me. I'm not hungry, and I'm losing the weight at the rate I targeted.

And @FIT_Goat‌

I do this Wab. I short my calories by 200 to allow for all kinds of descrepencies, over-eating, not weighing, not knowing what I am eating, wrong entries, cheating, ad infinitum.

That way, if I am wrong and go over, I'm still at a deficit. If I am accurate, I lose faster. Its a win-win situation.

• DittoDan
    Options
    You probably "cringe" (I'm just guessing and could be wrong) when you see all the posts on this and Keto where people fret over bad/mistaken MFP entries and/or how we pay so much attention to counting calories.

<snip>

I'm no better than anyone. I've been there. I grew weary of it and found a way that works, for me, without all the effort. But, I do understand the worry. I think it's unfounded. The truth is we just can't calorie count accurately enough to make minor adjustments. We can make huge, sweeping changes to force ourselves outside the margins of error, but that's about it. And, if we're making huge, sweeping changes anyway then being off by 30-40 calories on an entry isn't going to effect anything.

I agree, I don't sweat the small stuff. And, for the big stuff and stalls, I do intermittant fasting, because its healthy, Keto, you lose weight at a rapid pace & it works everytime I try it..... :D

• DittoDan
    Options
    Nikki,

I tried something tonight that might qualify. I thought about this discussion after I ate it. I heated up my corned beef, and wished I could make a bread sandwich with mayo. So, naturally I couldn't have the bread, so I slathered about a tbs of no carb Mayo on top of my Corned beef. IT WAS SO GOOD! LOL!

I hope this helps,

Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    I won't get into monetary conversions ($0.76 US -> $1.00 AU). That would make the differences a little more extreme. It would probably cost me more. I would also likely drop the bacon and eggs, if I couldn't find a good cheap source, and move to more chuck roll or ground beef.
    Yes, I chose to ignore that too. And of course I presume that our incomes allow for that as well. The rest of your answer was interesting and makes me feel better, thank you.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    6oz ground beef (anywhere from 75-85% fat), tbsp kerrygold butter, 4oz chopped up white myshrooms, sprinkle of garlic, copious salt and pepper. Cook it up together, then melt some swiss on top, eat it all mixed together.

Mushroom-swiss burger rip-off, lol
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    6oz ground beef (anywhere from 75-85% fat), tbsp kerrygold butter, 4oz chopped up white myshrooms, sprinkle of garlic, copious salt and pepper. Cook it up together, then melt some swiss on top, eat it all mixed together.

Mushroom-swiss burger rip-off, lol

@nicsflyingcircus YummmmmmmDinner for me tonight.
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My new favorite breakfast, Egg Pumpkin Pancakes

1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    2 eggs
    1/2 ts baking powder
    1 ts cinnamon
    sweetener

Mix together then cook like a pancake. They can be trickey to flip though. I add a couple tablespoons of sugar free syrup or whipped cream on top.

Makes me 2 5-6 in pancakes.

190 calories. 11g carbs, 8 net carbs, 14g protein, 10g fat (not counting the butter I grease the pan with or toppings)

http://www.hungryhealthygirl.com/2014/09/15/flourless-pumpkin-pancakes/
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Nikki,

I tried something tonight that might qualify. I thought about this discussion after I ate it. I heated up my corned beef, and wished I could make a bread sandwich with mayo. So, naturally I couldn't have the bread, so I slathered about a tbs of no carb Mayo on top of my Corned beef. IT WAS SO GOOD! LOL!

I hope this helps,

Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef

Yeah, I put butter on cheese slices coz I like cheese sandwiches. :) Then I sometimes spread promite/vegemite on top of that.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    OMG, me too. My kids know my habits by now and ask me in the evening if I am "buttering my cheese". I love sandwich fillings without the bread. Sometimes I'll warp them in lettuce, but usually just eat them on their own, with butter or mayo.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I do believe most people get a "reduced hunger" when going to keto, but primarily because their previous hunger levels were way too high. I think it's better to say that hunger more closely aligns with physical need. I am more hungry than most because I need more calories than most people. I am still losing weight, and I don't exactly have tons of weight left to go. When your weight is off to one extreme or another, your hunger is proportionately off to the inverse extreme. Someone who is under-weight will be hungrier than their ideal intake and someone who is over-weight will be less hungry than their ideal intake. As your weight returns to the natural weight your body desires, your appetite adjusts to return to the amount needed to maintain that natural weight. When I was heavier, I experienced the "disinterested in food" days much more frequently than I do now.

I actually considered messaging you directly about this, but you prompted the question here, so here it shall go!

So, my increasing suspicion, which your statement seems to support, is that there's no need to adjust to a 'maintenance' WOE once we reach our goal weight. In a perfect world (where we let ourselves be driven by hunger/satiety in the stomach rather than the like in the mind), when we reach the optimal weight for our body, our body's hunger will maintain itself.

Would you agree/care to comment?