Can I be ketoadapted in less than 1 week?

Options
So I started keto last Sunday. I was using ketostyx to make sure I was getting into ketosis and on Friday I was in large. That evening for dinner I had steak, chicken, a little shrimp and broccoli, and was a little short on fats. The next morning I tested again and I was down to moderate, and the day after it was between low and trace.
I know that after your body adjusts, the ketones don't show in urine, but can it happen in less than a week?
I didn't eat tons of carbs before starting keto, fruit for breakfast, maybe a small amount of carbs with lunch, veggies and 1/2cup starchy food with dinner, but I don't know if that would make that much of a difference.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It could be too much protein - that can cause gluconeogenesis apparently that can then put you out of ketosis. You say you had steak, chicken and shrimp for dinner, so that does sound quite protein rich. I try and aim for 80-100g protein a day, but the amount you should aim for depends on your weight. It always takes a bit of fine tuning - this is definitely the most "scientific" diet I've ever been on - good luck!
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The steak and chicken were half portions each and maybe 4 little shrimp. There was cheese and bacon on the chicken too. I guess it could have been too much protien and too little fat.

Thank. I hope I can get back in easily.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    go to flexible ketogenic site and enter your grams of each on the front page there - that will help validate the results of your ketostix? I aim for a result of 1.5 or over and find it helps stay in ketosis. I also have a blood meter but don't test often - just once a fortnight or so. Good luck.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for six weeks, and I'm still dumping ketones in urine, with dark purple ketostix every day. I am hoping I get adapted eventually, because I sure thought I'd be there before now.

In a week? all I can say is wow, that would be impressive body chemistry.
  • mongoosealamode
    Options
    That is a really nice site. Thanks!. I got 1.52 for the day I had a lot of protein which is right at the beginning of 'Mostly Ketogenic'. Maybe since I was eating relatively low carb previously my body was somewhat in ketosis already or right on the edge.
    I will definitely use that calculator site everyday instead of the test strips.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Nope, that site is not necessary either. You don't need to maintain any kind of ratio. Ketosis will occur in the absence of carbs, period. Eat enough protein to support your lean muscle mass and activity level, and fill in fat as needed for satiety, performance, and weight management.
    The risk of gluconeogenesis is over-stated: http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Nope, that site is not necessary either. You don't need to maintain any kind of ratio. Ketosis will occur in the absence of carbs, period. Eat enough protein to support your lean muscle mass and activity level, and fill in fat as needed for satiety, performance, and weight management

I'd have to say that I agree with Kirkor here regarding the absence of carbs being the biggest indicator/predictor of ketosis. With that being said, I do still use both the ketostix and the flexible keto calculator as validating tools. I've read that when your body is "keto adapted" that your ketostix may stop turning. I've not found that to be true for me AT ALL...mine are still showing moderate to large amounts of ketones every single time I test, and I'm POSITIVE that I'm very well keto-adapted at this point. Let me just point out though, I do keep my carbs at or below a 20g total as a (very occasionally broken) rule...edging a bit higher if I consume something high fiber.

I am not a big exerciser, so I attribute the higher ketostix readings to the fact that even though I may be keto adapted I'm still not using all the ketones produced and therefore they will show in urine testing. That's my theory, anyway. ;-) I'm working up to implementing more strength training over the next 6-8 weeks and plan on keeping my diet the same during that time, so I'll be interested to see how the ketostix reflect the increased energy requirements. I'm thinking they will lighten significantly, but thoughts and alternative theories are welcomed.
  • mongoosealamode
    Options
    I am not a big exerciser either. My ketostix keep measuring low to moderate. I do drink alot of water so maybe that contributes?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, diluted urine = diluted results. There is a link somewhere to a free meter or a paid meter with more strips...which tests blood levels, rather than just the ketone garbage, which is urine...
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Nope, that site is not necessary either. You don't need to maintain any kind of ratio. Ketosis will occur in the absence of carbs, period. Eat enough protein to support your lean muscle mass and activity level, and fill in fat as needed for satiety, performance, and weight management.
    The risk of gluconeogenesis is over-stated: http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html

You're right that I should have clarified that in addition the amount of carbs that works for you (I aim for between 20 and 30 crammed a day) is absolute. You can't eat 200g carb and then eat enough fat to make it ketotic. But I do think the flexible ketogenic site is really helpful support.

@mongoosealamode‌ you can see there are lots of views aired! I know you will find the way that works for you. Don't beat yourself up if it takes a while!

• sdefranc
    sdefranc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will happen under a week. Note that usually ketone levels will be lower in the mornings. I think the best way to tell if you're adapted is to test your glucose levels fasting and throughout the day, it should be under 78 mg or so in the morning and remain stable throughout the day. Ie no wild swings.

Most likely you overdid something and kicked yourself out, but don't sweat it, just continue on as usual, you need a lot of patience at the start.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You can get into ketosis within a few days, but you will not be keto-adapted for 4-8 weeks. It takes that long for your body to ramp up the enzymes necessary to use fat/ketones as your primary fuel source.
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    8 weeks? My longest keto streak is 13 days *sigh!