Newbie alert - Potassium/Magnesium supplements?

Options
ladylambeau
ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
Hi all.

I am new to low-carbing. I feel that I've done a fair amount of research on the subject and changes that come with transitioning to a LC lifestyle. I chucked carbs out the window and braced myself for the "flu" -expecting to feel generally fatigued and quite crabby while I dealt with my initial sugar cravings.

So, to my surprise, instead of feeling the headache/fatigue, I started feeling heart palpitations. This is something I have never experienced before so I am feeling that it's either a HUGE coincidence or that it is related to the new change in my diet. I've read that lack of potassium can cause hypokalemia (heart palpitations being a symptom).

I'd like to try addressing that to see if it helps, but I'm wondering how do you go about getting the recommended amount per day? According to this: http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/16/Keto-flu-and-Sufficient-Intake-of-Electrolytes low-carbers should have around 3,000 MG of potassium per day. I checked some supplements at Walgreens today only to find that 1 dose of potassium would provide me 2% of the recommendation. What the wha?

SO, low-carbers, what are the best ways to up my electrolyte intake - be it with food or supplements? OR should I run to my doctor because this is totally unrelated?

*As far as the heart palpitations go - they are not painful, occur once or twice a day for a few minutes, and don't leave me winded or feeling any worse than normal. Just a funny feeling.

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I use NoSalt to ensure my potassium levels. It's not a mix of salt and potassium like some others. It's just potassium chloride, so I can adjust my levels independently. There's also a lot of potassium in our food that doesn't get logged because the MFP values are pretty sketchy on micro nutrients. Google to see what foods are a good source of potassium and see what you already eat.

I can't speak to whether your heart palpitations are caused by this. But it does make me wonder if the "heartburn" I've experienced on occasion is something more like that. Heartburn is supposed to 'clear up' on a LCHF diet, and I could probably stand to get more electrolytes in. Maybe I'll buy another bottle of NoSalt for the office...
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good idea ... Looking up foods high in potassium.... Lots of foods have it... I get most all mine just from coffee. I was trying to supplement and ended up taking 14 pills a day... No more...
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not saying this is true for you, this is just my experience...

I got heart palpitations 'out of the blue' after starting Keto too. I felt awful and ended up going to the emergency at the hospital but they put and ECG on me and ran blood tests - all came back perfect. They tested my sodium, potassium, chlorine, bicarbonate, and protein metabolism and kidney functions and all were perfect. I have no idea why they didn't test iron levels because I believe they can cause heart palpitations. It took me a week after that to feel anything near normal. I took 2 weeks off of aerobic exercise and then slowly rebuilt to my usual robust self.

So, firstly, since first starting Keto (not now, it's cleared) I found myself suffering with the heat, where normally I cope very well and was incredibly easily 'winded' (breathless at the least excuse). I put that down to summer heat, but it wasn't. I think it was keto flu, but presented in a way I hadn't read about so I didn't realise. Continuing aerobic exercise all through my keto adaptation was a big mistake!

Just to cover myself in the days to come, I took a half dose of those electrolyte replacement tablets that you can buy for when you've suffered severe bouts of 'gastro'. I still do this occasionally, maybe once a week. On other days I take a half dose of a magnesium/potassium/zinc/calcium/chromium/B1, B6 etc combination supplement. I've been completely fine since then. I make sure to use plenty of salt on my foods without ruining the taste.

I hope you find your answers soon, it's frightening isn't it?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I use Nu Salt. as "potassium supplements" are worthless. You can also eat swiss chard and drink Low Sodium V8. I also use Calm Magnesium and use real Sea Salt on a regular basis. I recommend tracking intake specifically here...and see where you are with intake of all of these.
  • ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I really do appreciate it.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I got heart palpitations 'out of the blue' after starting Keto too. I felt awful and ended up going to the emergency at the hospital but they put and ECG on me and ran blood tests - all came back perfect. They tested my sodium, potassium, chlorine, bicarbonate, and protein metabolism and kidney functions and all were perfect. I have no idea why they didn't test iron levels because I believe they can cause heart palpitations. It took me a week after that to feel anything near normal. I took 2 weeks off of aerobic exercise and then slowly rebuilt to my usual robust self.

So, firstly, since first starting Keto (not now, it's cleared) I found myself suffering with the heat, where normally I cope very well and was incredibly easily 'winded' (breathless at the least excuse). I put that down to summer heat, but it wasn't. I think it was keto flu, but presented in a way I hadn't read about so I didn't realise. Continuing aerobic exercise all through my keto adaptation was a big mistake!

Just to cover myself in the days to come, I took a half dose of those electrolyte replacement tablets that you can buy for when you've suffered severe bouts of 'gastro'. I still do this occasionally, maybe once a week. On other days I take a half dose of a magnesium/potassium/zinc/calcium/chromium/B1, B6 etc combination supplement. I've been completely fine since then. I make sure to use plenty of salt on my foods without ruining the taste.

That's why I'm going to wait until after my next 50M race on April 4th to start this. I normally would take a week off anyway, so it's not a huge deal to take off a bit more until I'm adapted. I don't want to feel miserable on my runs. At least due to "keto flu"! It's good to get a reminder that there's a reason I'm waiting. It's hard to wait though. :wink:

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

That's why I'm going to wait until after my next 50M race on April 4th to start this. I normally would take a week off anyway, so it's not a huge deal to take off a bit more until I'm adapted. I don't want to feel miserable on my runs. At least due to "keto flu"! It's good to get a reminder that there's a reason I'm waiting. It's hard to wait though. :wink:

Depending on how high your carb levels are now, you might be able to start tweaking things a little in preparation. Adding fats even if you aren't dropping carbs yet can help your body get ready to make changes. Most people have to get under 50 grams of carbs a day before any flu symptoms or performance hits surface... Just some thoughts. But you know your body better than any of us...listen to it! Good luck on your race. :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Very wise move that's for sure. I'm guessing that M is for miles as you said elsewhere you do *long* races. (I speak 'm for metres' but that's way too short for the energy expenditures you've mentioned.)