Something I hadn't really thought about much and even forgot a little bit!

Options
JenaOnTrack74
JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
2dudwjk.jpg

I am 8 months out and saw this on a facebook group I belong to. I had almost forgotten about this! It is important to remind the people around us that in case anything should happen the EMT's NEED to know this!!

I was glad I was reminded of it so I thought I would pass the reminder along! :)

Has anyone had any experience with needing to give out this information? Or Do you wear one of these braclets??

Replies

• CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oh....hadn't even thought about this. Will need to talk to my surgeon at my follow up to see what he says about this. Thanks for the heads up.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I'm going to ask about this, too! Thanks for bringing this up, Jena!
  • jl191
    jl191 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My surgeon gives out stickers to put on the back of your license..so there is one on mine.
  • isabella1679
    isabella1679 Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow I never Thought about no blind NG tubes or about putting no NSAIDs on my license, great idea!
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am ordering a bracelet in the next week or so.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My surgeon gives out key tags. Of course, you would need to rifle through the ones from PetSmart, RiteAid, Tops, etc. to actually find the one that says no blind NG tube.
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Dumb question, maybe. What is a blind NG tube and why is it bad for WLS patients?
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's when they put a feeding tube into your stomach through your nose. I'm guessing 'blind' means without giving you some kind of scan to see your anatomy and I'm guessing that having a tube shoved into your stomach when you don't really have a stomach could be an issue. Probably a medical person can explain what kind of issue that would be.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Good post - thanks!
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My sister works in medical field and a simple have you had Bariatric surgery usually works as a question. Could you just put that on the bracelet?
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    blairmundy wrote: »
    It's when they put a feeding tube into your stomach through your nose. I'm guessing 'blind' means without giving you some kind of scan to see your anatomy and I'm guessing that having a tube shoved into your stomach when you don't really have a stomach could be an issue. Probably a medical person can explain what kind of issue that would be.

YUP!! ;)
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I guess each surgeon is different. I asked mine if I needed anything like this, and both he, and my anesthetist said no it's not necessary.
    I do have no NSAIDS on my doctors chart, and at my pharmacy. I figure if i'm conscious enough to take a pill at a hospital, I can tell them no NSAIDS.
    I had VSG surgery, not RNY
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    LunaGuido wrote: »
    Dumb question, maybe. What is a blind NG tube and why is it bad for WLS patients?

Blind means not checking placement: is this a problem? not really, the medical professionals who are qualified to insert a gastric tube know to not force it.

Randy (registered nurse)
  • JenaOnTrack74
    Options
    ac7nj wrote: »
    LunaGuido wrote: »

Blind means not checking placement: is this a problem? not really, the medical professionals who are qualified to insert a gastric tube know to not force it.

Randy (registered nurse)

Thanks Randy!
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't think EMT's usually insert NG tubes. Those are typically done in the hospital in a non-emergency situation, when medical professionals will have had the chance to review your records and discuss your history with you or your family (if you are incapacitated). So I am not sure I agree about the necessity of this bracelet.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This is a great post and a reminder to get a medical alert bracelet.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SibylDiane wrote: »
    I don't think EMT's usually insert NG tubes. Those are typically done in the hospital in a non-emergency situation, when medical professionals will have had the chance to review your records and discuss your history with you or your family (if you are incapacitated). So I am not sure I agree about the necessity of this bracelet.

I had the sleeve done and no NSAIDS were for a short period leading up to and following surgery.
    Being 5 1/2 months out, to my surgeon, not an issue (or at least anything to fret over).