Keto and Working out...

Options
kiknitwite
kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
I know that with keto working out isn't the top priority, but i think that being active will help with my overall health. I'm looking to committing to hitting the gym 3 days a week. Doing things like, light weight training, yoga, swimming, walking/jogging on the track. What types of work outs are other ketoers doing? Or not doing and what differences in working out vs not working out make?

Replies

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure, I'm only speaking from my personal experiences!

I couldn't really push myself physically until I upped my carb limit to 50-60G. I tried but I would get tired after 1.5 miles or so. My mile time went up, etc. I think if I did lower impact exercises I would have been okay, but I'm training for a half marathon so running is a big part of my life currently.

I do think you're on the right track with the exercises listed. And I know there are keto-ers who can easily run miles, but I just can not. Not yet at least :)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i do jiu jitsu 3-5x a week, and lift 3x a week.

once you are fully keto adapted you should have no problem exercising on a very low carb limit. While you are still just getting into ketosis it'll be rough. and even when you have been ketoing for a week or two, your body still isn't quite used to it, so performance will suffer.

after 4-6 or so weeks, you should notice that working otu becomes a lot easier and that you can run for miles w/o running out of energy (you might still run out of breath though ;) )
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been in Ketosis since October, I do DDP YOGA every day, sometimes I will do multiple DDP YOGA workouts in one day, its addictive, I don't want to say its "easy" but everyone can do it, and it lets me know that I am making a difference, I can feel it, and I wear a heart rate monitor to make sure I stay in a fat burning zone. It helps a ton with flexibility and balance which are important for anyone, not just those of us trying to lose weight. I also take a spin class twice a week. :) Just started that, so I can't really give you any pros or cons as of yet, other than the obvious! I will keep you posted how that goes though!!! Honestly though, DDP YOGA has been probably the best thing I could do for myself along with going keto.
  • kumfer
    kumfer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and run 3 ish miles about 3 times a week. My goal this year is to do it every other day or so.
  • philipfoster76
    philipfoster76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do jiu jitsu 3 days a week. When I started keto and was still getting adapted I would gas out easily. Just get completely exhausted.
    Now that never happens. My energy level is...I wouldn't say it is higher than when I'm eating more carbs...it's more like I have unlimited reserves. I can just keep going.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I have been gradually building up to enhance my work out, but for right now I am focusing on cardio (usually 30 min. at 4-5 mph on the elliptical, which equates to about a little over 2 miles,) and then to cool down another 30 min on the treadmill (about one mile at 3.3 mph.)

I have social anxiety, and just switched gyms, so eventually I'd like to do some weight training after that (nothing big, just maybe concentrate on weight machines that focus on the arms, legs, and stomach.)

I'll be honest, I am not familiar with the machines, and people scare me so I've been too afraid to ask for help. I don't even know where to begin.
  • WestieGoneNorth
    WestieGoneNorth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    /r/ketogains is awesome if you would like to know more indepth information about working out and keto diet.

That being said, what MMAQueen said is on point with being right. You'll start off sluggish but once fully keto-adapted you will notice an increase in energy for the gym.

I workout six days a week and alternate cardio days with free weights. If you are only doing cardio than you really don't need to worry as it only increase the number of calories you can eat and still stay within your daily calorie deficit goal.

However, if you are trying to build muscle through strength training you have to adjust (increase) your calorie count on weight days to accommodate for that particular exercising as strength training requires that you eat more so as not lose muscle. The awesome people on /r/ketogains have a nifty calculator you can use to calculate how much of an increase you would need using your personal information/stats.

• carltonstedman
    carltonstedman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Another shoutout to r/ketogains.

I do powerlifting 4 days a week, for 1-2 hours at a time (just amateur, but enjoy it). Also, yoga, at least once a week.
  • melg2888
    Options
    I notice when I walk my blood sugar goes down & when I lift my blood sugar goes up & when I do intense cardio ( fast paced uphill) blood sugar spikes too! Hmmm just trying to find the right balance, I'm going to try some food right before lifting to see if this helps.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    kiknitwite wrote: »
    I know that with keto working out isn't the top priority

What makes you say this?
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's best to avoid too much cardio. When your glycogen stores are depleted, you can become catabolic and lose muscle. It's weird but that's your body's preference.

The best exercise on Keto is resistance and HIIT. Make sure you include about 2 mins of stretching between sets and relax with it. The idea is to get your muscles moving and open up the GLUT 4 receptors. Avoid going into cardio heart rate too much and you will firm up and build muscle.
  • laitdecoco
    laitdecoco Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    FXOjafar wrote: »
    The best exercise on Keto is resistance and HIIT.
    Good to know.

I'm starting a ketodiet tomorrow coupled with Insanity workouts (which features both resistance and HIIT) 5 days a week. I did the first month of Insanity without watching my nutrition, so I'm kinda intrigued to see how Month 2 will pan out on keto.

I'll post on any significant changes, if any. Watch this space! :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I am cross posting this..it is Specific to OBESE, not smaller, more active exercisers..too long of exercise may do the reverse.
    ++++++++
    In Phinney & Volek's book on Low Carb for Performance, page 40, they describe what is important for OBESE people to know. That more than one hour of endurance exercise--endurance being what is your limit at 200, 270, or 350+lbs, etc.

in OVER 1 hour of hard work obese people LOWERED their resting fat burning metabolism by 5-15%…the message is DO exercise BUT limit it to shorter 30-40 minute intervals a day… a 60+minutes push may be actually slowing down progress.

My dietitian in weight group didn't believe me, she takes the guys on a fast one hour huff and puff before each meeting. I refuse to walk on concrete, soaking up car fumes and avoiding potheads behind the wheel at crossings (glazed eyes, sappy grin.."whoa, dude, you ran over that fat chick..giggle…...fun living in the Emerald triangle of the nation) so I have to bring the book next time.

the authors say telling morbidly obese people to act like athletes to lose weight ( the shame factor again) is like selling them the Brooklyn Bridge…pointless.

Weighted anerobics-weightlifing, unweighted-lunges, pull-ups- for the obese, provide <3min burn not requiring oxygen and accomplish much as well. I am wondering where there is research to show weights can help reduce flab and build muscle as fat is lost? Resistance bands, 2 lb weights can easily be used by obese people while sitting watching TV, talking, etc. I'd agree to 4x-6x a day brief anaerobic exercise routine to build muscle and avoid excess skin.

• wrenbird
    wrenbird Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've just started on this Keto diet a couple days ago. After reading some of your comments, I'm a little concerned how I'm going to handle my job, which is teaching 7 group fitness classes a week, all of which are 1 hour long (6 Zumba and 1 BodyWorks). I work hard on my muscle tone so I'm a little anxious about losing muscle by teaching my Zumba classes, which are very intense and we get our heart rates up very high. Any recommendations?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Accept that your performance might flag slightly while you adapt, but trust that it'll come back. Don't use carbs as a crutch, that'll just make it take longer.
    Keep your calories up where they need to be and keep lifting as well, else that much Zumba will burn muscle regardless if you're keto or not.
  • richieladlad
    richieladlad Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do weight training 6-7 days a week I find it helps with keeping muscle waisting at bay whilst on keto and I feel great compared to when I used to carb up.
  • richieladlad
    richieladlad Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wrenbird wrote: »
    I've just started on this Keto diet a couple days ago. After reading some of your comments, I'm a little concerned how I'm going to handle my job, which is teaching 7 group fitness classes a week, all of which are 1 hour long (6 Zumba and 1 BodyWorks). I work hard on my muscle tone so I'm a little anxious about losing muscle by teaching my Zumba classes, which are very intense and we get our heart rates up very high. Any recommendations?

Keep your protien Intake up and you should be fine I normally weight train 7 days and am still gaining muscle maybe try training separate muscle groups so you dont over train 1 group.