March Melting

Replies

• sharon9597
    sharon9597 Posts: 33 Member
    Karrie and Lia I have to say your both doing an amazing job with the exercise, both consistent which is what matters. It's so easy to get hung up on what the scales say as I did for years (& I know better as an ex personal trainer) but I finally learned to rely on what I actually know which is you can't over night put on actual fat as it takes roughly 500 excess calories for a whole week to put on a Pound of fat and in the same way if your in deficit of that amount you will be loosing a pound of fat (roughly as we all have individual metabolisms). So many things affect the weight shown on the scales and yet the darn things can have such power over us. Absolutely Karrie how our clothes feel is a much better indication of what's happening on the inside so your doing great.
    And way to go with the half marathon training, good luck. I'm also training for a half marathon but not running, hiking over some very hilly terrain!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,893 Member
    hey all, long day at the office, stayed a couple hours late trying to get a couple things done... going to be a long week. But, for the first time in a while I did NOT give in to the cravings for pretzels and crackers and such. I really wanted something mid-morning but just said nope, wait for lunch and eat your salad, which I did, and it was just fine. My brain knows that eating starchy snacks doesn't help my energy at all, but my stomach argues convincingly that it will. New motto - ignore the stomach!

B: cereal (some heritage flakes topped with 1/4 cup granola) and almond milk
    L: BIG salad (spring mix, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts, nooch, grape tomatoes, balsamic) and a minneola
    D: yellow split pea soup with kale and sweet potatoes (fat free vegan recipe) and strawberries

Yay for a good day! I have some things to get done yet tonight but I read all your posts.... group hug!
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    edited March 2015
    Good resolve, Mihani! My stomach always tell me that starches have staying power for my energy levels and my brain often listens lol. Love seeing your meals! Sounds yummy.

Sharon, thanks for the words of wisdom! You're right... there are so many things going on in our bodies on a given day. I am just focusing on my nutrition and consistency, like you said, and hoping that my body will figure things out eventually. Awesome about your training, Sharon! When is your half?

B - Banana; homemade zucchini muffin
    L - summer harvest tortilla soup (forgot my avocado at home :( ); a TON of watermelon
    S - plum
    D - Either a veggie patty or brocolli and tofu!
  • Mihani
    Day 2 mind over munchies. I don’t know why I let myself get “snacky” at different times, it is so hard to break that habit again once I start getting used to indulging my cravings. I am easing back into my good habits and will start incorporating more exercise this weekend. Too much going on the next couple evenings and of course work is super busy. It’s never not busy.

Lia, I wish I could find good watermelon. I’m so looking forward to having lots of watermelon again, I missed it this winter.

B: heritage flakes with a little granola and almond milk
    L: my usual big salad
    D: a concoction of onions, garlic and other spices, red pepper, baby bella mushrooms, kale, chickpeas, veggie broth. Strawberries for dessert.

I got all the G-BOMBS in today woohoo!
  • liapr
    Mihani wrote: »
    I got all the G-BOMBS in today woohoo!

Woohoo!! That is amazing! And hard to do for me! Haha.

B - OSG Baked oatmeal with apple/pear; a banana
    L - Tortilla soup with avocado; strawberries;
    S - green smoothie
    D - broccoli and tofu!

I brought a green smoothie for afternoon snack as I am having trouble controlling my hunger and munchies in the afternoon. I have a long gap between lunch and dinner and seem to have a whole bunch of unsatisfying snacks though the afternoon....
  • liapr
    Also last night I did my T25 and I actually ENJOYED it! I never hate it, but I think I've improved so much that I can sort of keep up and that was really rewarding! Woohoo :)
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Last night my son woke us up at 12:30am. Sick. Again. That kid... Anyway, I was up with him because the hubby was also sick. AND I got up at 4:30am (ok, actually 4:45am - I had to haul it to get there on time) to go to my class. The class kicked my butt, as usual. But as much as I didn't want to get out of bed, I did it. I'm proud of that. It was a hard workout and I still feel shaky (back and shoulders, with some box jumps thrown in for giggles).

And because I totally rocked it on the treadmill on Monday, I am super stiff. I am sore EVERYWHERE. And I'm up on the scale. Again. SO FRUSTRATING!!! I know I'm sore and I had a bad sleep. I'm retaining water. I get it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't suck...

On the bright side, my entire family was in bed by 8:00pm last night and I had a good 2 hours to myself. That was nice. :smiley:
  • Mihani
    Lia, hope your smoothie strategy paid off. I love that tortilla soup.

Oh no Karrie! I hope both the guys are feeling better today. Way to go on the workouts! Maybe just don't weigh yourself for a week or something. I have a hard time doing that myself, I'm mildly obsessive about weighing.

Coues, I forgot to comment on those burgers. Those look absolutely amazing!

Sharon, glad to see you!

Day 3 on track for me yay! My menu was a total repeat of yesterday with the addition of a grapefruit.

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Boy, reading about all this exercise makes me feel like a slug! I ate a huge salad kinda late tonight so I expect it will be a toss-and-turn night. I got a recall to come back for another mammogram so today I went again. After another scan and two ultra-sounds, I was cleared to go home. Yay! That was a little nerve-wracking. First time I've ever been called back for a second look. But my blood work results came back and they look really good. My cholesterol number is 143!!
  • Mihani
    Lisa, glad that it turned out to be a false alarm. That would have made me nervous too. Awesome that your bloodwork was all good!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Nice job on the cholesterol Lisa! And glad the mammogram was clear.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Silken Tofu...who knew? I just started experimenting with soft silken tofu....wow, that's stuff is awesome for making sauces, smoothies, and a mayonnaise substitute. I don't know how many of you have used it, but I am thrilled to find something that can give us more nutrition for our mayo habit. We love mayo on everything and now I can save calories and have added nutrition.

I made a smoothie with it this morning and it was awesome. One 12 oz pack of silken tofu, 1 cup of mixed raspberries and blueberries, and two dates, and half tablespoon chia seeds. And a little almond milk to thin it after adding chia seeds. Loved this! I have always found yogurt smoothies to be on the bitter side and add sugar to counteract that bitterness. But the tofu doesn't really have any flavor, it just adds creamy texture and takes on the flavor of whatever is in it. YUM!!

http://www.amazon.com/Morinu-Soft-Silken-12-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000LKZ84W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427381939&sr=8-3&keywords=morinu+tofu
  • liapr
    Wow Lisa, minus the stress of the recall, great results! Happy now you can be relieved too. Does that salad keep you up at night??

Mihani, great job on the consistency!! Woohoo!! How is work this week?

Karrie, wow you are a super trooper for getting out of bed! Man poor you and your poor son.... is he just having a bad year?

I am also sick for the first time in a long time!! I keep gloating that everyone has been sick around me for so much of the winter and I've been so lucky so naturally it caught up with me. Just a cold though. Yesterday was a good day and I loved my afternoon green smoothie! Also I wasn't super hungry because of the cold so that might have helped my appetite too. It's my Mom's 60th bday today so I am off searching for a gift tonight (we are celebrating Saturday) so hoping I still feel up for my T25 tonight!
  • lisabinco
    I'm feeling downright chipper today. I had to go to DMV and there was only 2 people ahead of me in line. That doesn't happen often!
    I came home with groceries and made Cauliflower Stuffed Bell Peppers. Ingredients: steamed chopped cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, chopped yellow squash, garlic, chopped onion, a tbsp nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup unsalted veggie broth, and a bag of thawed Southwest veggie mix. Simmer it all in a skillet, then stuff 6 bell peppers and bake. Or put them in the handy crock pot, which is what I did. About 170 cals each, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, low sodium and pretty darn yummy!
    I even got some housekeeping done today. That doesn't happen often, either!
  • lisabinco
    Mihani wrote: »
    Lisa, glad that it turned out to be a false alarm. That would have made me nervous too. Awesome that your bloodwork was all good!
    :D
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. It certainly helps!!

I think I'm improving, because I didn't burst into tears at all this week. Still not making eye contact with anyone, and I'm still usually doing the least amount of weights and I'm still usually the last one to finish. HOWEVER, *today* was leg day, and I finished pretty much right in the middle of the pack. THAT was great! I can't walk up or down any stairs right now, but I felt like I was actually able to keep up today.

We did 120 squats today, mixed in with the rest of the lower body workout. Yikes! I'll be feeling this for at least a couple of days...

My son has a BAD habit of touching EVERYTHING he sees. So if there are germs anywhere, it's pretty much a guarantee that he'll wind up touching them... He usually doesn't get sick quite THIS often, so I'm not sure what's up with that, but yes - he is frequently sick. We have tried to drill home the importance of HANDWASHING, but I'm sure he's lazy about it. It's brutal!! But I don't think there's anything he could have done this last time around; my hubby and my daughter are both handwashing fanatics, so if THEY got sick, there was never any hope for the boy... lol.

Anyway, I hit the pause button on juicing and ate real food yesterday and this morning. Just needed to chew for a bit. Will resume juicing at lunch for another 10 days... That's pretty much all I can handle, I think...
  • Mihani
    edited March 2015
    Coues, I use silken tofu in several dessert recipes and to make sauces. I made a hollandaise sauce not too long ago that was wonderful. I think I posted it in recipes.

Karrie, 120 squats? Good heavens woman, I'd not be able to move for a week! Hope everyone is feeling better around your house.

Lia, hope you are feeling better. It was funny last week when I had that awful cold, even my boss commented that it had been a long time since I had been sick. Work was crazy as usual this week. I'm going in this weekend again. :neutral_face:

Lisa, those stuffed peppers sound really good!

I went out to see some acoustic guitarists/singers last night with some friends. It was so fun but I didn't get home until midnight and I am so tired. We split a 12" pizza with lots of veggies and no cheese, I had two slices. It is one of those coal fired pizza places with artisan crusts and it was delicious. I was determined not to let it fire up my bread cravings and I got through today just fine yay! I had one glass of wine, and felt fine with that.

Today was the same as always breakfast and lunch, and I did eat a couple of organic brown rice cakes. I knew I only wanted them because I was tired, but I figured that wasn't a bad choice. Tonight I am making spaghetti squash with lentil sauce, recipe from Forks Over Knives. I had all the ingredients and it looked simple and tasty, so we'll see how it turns out.
  • Mihani
    Just gotta say, the spaghetti squash with spicy lentil sauce... yummmmm!
  • liapr
    Mihani, sounds like a great night out!! I hugely commend your resolve and stopping at one wine glass! Sounds like a fun night. Did you get to sleep in the next day? I'm actually impressed with how quickly I've bounced back from my cold too! About a week?! That never happens. Maybe I'm doing something right (or just lucky this time).

Karrie, awesome re your fitness stuff!! Sounds amazing. I hope you took some "before" pictures because I'm sure your inch loss will be amazing.

I had a pretty up and down weekend. My Mom's 60th bday party which was fairly unhealthy almost all night long. Yesterday I had to go to a bridal shower for a friend and I had lots of veggies but also a cupcake and some sweets.

Today mark's my totally ETL resolve! No more non-ETL snacks! They are outweighing (actually and also calorically) my ETL meals way too much and I think that's why I'm struggling so much. I made OSG lentil-kale-tomato soup and also her Eat Your Greens Detox soup along with ETL's cuban black beans dish so I'm starting out my week on the right foot!

B - ETL blended salad - Spinach, oranges, lemon juice, hemp seeds
    L - eat your greens soup; big romaine salad; plum
    S - pear
    D - cuban black beans; boiled corn on the cob
  • lisabinco
    liar, sorry to hear you were sick. Hopefully you bounced back relatively quickly. I can't remember the last time I got sick, even with grandkids around. Children are the germiest beings. And yes, my really big salads, or anything else eaten in large quantities late at night, do keep me up. I need to eat big earlier in the day.

I haven't used much silken tofu. I have a very old book called "The Art of Tofu" but haven't used it much. I will give that a second look, based on coueswhitetail's recommendation.

I do 10 squats a day with my little hand weights while the cats eat. Once a day. I just can't keep my mind focused on reps for very long. I'm in awe of 120 squats.

Mihani, the spaghetti squash with spicy lentil sauce sounds delicious!

I'm going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow so I'm fasting today. Yuck. It forces me to pay attention, as I am a grab-and-run eater during the day. I almost tossed some cherries tomatoes in my mouth once, and have reached out for a banana twice. I worried a lot about the fasting but then I tried to put a positive spin on it. I weighed 132 pounds this morning so I will be interested to see how much weight I can lose from this unpleasant event. Most will be water-weight I suspect but it would sure be nice to see something under 130 on the scales, even temporarily. I keep reading that fasting now and then is actually beneficial, too. Even Dr F recommends it occasionally. So I am trying to stay busy today cleaning house. At least something positive will come of it.

By the way, black coffee, tea and water are not filling in any way. :-0