Question for Fitbit Users

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    wandakc wrote: »
    OK, please give me some good places to buy a Fit Bit. I really am interested in getting one, however I do not want to pay too awful much for it. Those folks that I see using them, seem to have good success because it " spurs them on " Thanks

They vary a lot. Do you just want the step tracker function? Zips and Ones @ $50. Do you want sleep monitoring? Flex $90-100 and the Charge $125. Do you want HRMonitor function? Charge HR $150, unless you find a special offer, I did and got it for the cost of a Charge without the HR, it was through AT&T and I got the special offer and they gave me my employers' discount on equipment as well. The Surge gives you GPS along with the other functions, if you carry your phone with you, it isn't needed but some people like only taking the one device with them. Both Charges and Surge have caller id alerts, I don't use it but some think it is the best things since sliced bread.

Since people drop the devices and don't realize it till much later, Craiglisters and ebayers may not be a reputable way to get one. I would not trust a dealer on Craigslist but maybe eBay if the seller reviews are top notch.

Amazon gives you the option of returning easily if you pick one and decide after a day of use you really want some other feature or don't use on and can step up or down. Check the offers of your cell phone company as well. I got a good deal through mine.

Mine really gets me up and out the door to do things and when I can't get out, I use the DVDs so I can meet my goals. So it does spur me on!

Happy shopping. Oh there are other brands that do the tracking etc. but the costs are fairly comparable to Fit Bit.

• ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    wanda - i wouldn't hesitate to recommend amazon.com :)
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I got good deals on Amazon on the One last year, but don't know if they still have the lower price--had to pay more for Ken's several months later than for mine.
    The Charge HR is the same price everywhere. Costco has a couple of the models. Although it is attractive, I would not be happy with the Flex because you can't see the time, step count, calories burned numbers the way you can on the other fitbits. Target often has various versions for a lower price.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much !! I'm shopping this w/e.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I bought mine from: http://www.fitbit.com/
    I did not look anywhere else as this is where I bought my first one and was very pleased with the support.
  • RLF022012
    RLF022012 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wanda, Hubby bought mine at Target and I bought his through the Fitbit website. In either case, the price is standard regardless of where you buy. And, FYI, the website doesn't charge shipping. I've also seen them at other retailers like Best Buy and Wal-Mart. You are right about it being a motivator, at least for hubby and me it's worked that way!
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wandakc, you can order one online shipping is free. I would not get the smallest one (square shaped), they use a battery and run out pretty quickly. A co-worker has one, she was warring it on her bra and moved it because she said it looked like she had a third nipple! Too funny. I have a Fitbit One. I wear it on my bra. It never falls off. We find the wrist ones at the airport a lot. They are in a lot of stores now. I bought my husbands at Kohl's when I had a 30% off, it was not covered, but I did get Kohl's bucks. My last one, I bought at Target, they sold me a two year replacement for just a few dollars. I love mine. This is my second one. I've used one for 2 1/2 years now. Good Luck, Joni
  • Rebamae
    Options
    OK ladies = the dumb question of the day. When you wear your Fitbit on your bra is it on the inside or on the outside. I am concerned about losing mine again so wanted it right this time!!
  • sharondtd
    Options
    @Rebamae‌
    I wore my One on the inside of my bra, but learned last week they suggest on the outside. Maybe there is too much "cushioning" if it's on the inside? My SIL and I were walking together and she was getting many more steps than me. She has a flex. I moved mine to my pocket and the steps began matching hers and my phone's pedometer. But it never occurred to me then to put it on the outside. :->
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Ok I am going to try the outside to see if that works. Thanks for the help!
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I didn't chime into this conversation because I wear mine clipped to the inside of my jean's pocket.... or clipped onto my undies before I get dressed LOL. I've found that the step count is more accurate than wearing it up top. Just my humble opinion
  • sharondtd
    Options
    ker95texas wrote: »
    I didn't chime into this conversation because I wear mine clipped to the inside of my jean's pocket.... or clipped onto my undies before I get dressed LOL. I've found that the step count is more accurate than wearing it up top. Just my humble opinion

On the undies! Fantastic idea!
  • Rebamae
    Options
    I am going to do some step testing to see which is the most accurate. Before I had it in my pocket or on a waist band. But some where I lost it. Do not want to do that again
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I wear my clipped in the center of my bra with the clip inside and fitbit on the outside. I think it is accurate. Today I did 12,224 steps! That is way up for me and boy do my legs ache. I'm going to soak in the tub w/Epsom's Salts and Lavender. I'm up to 50 minutes walk a day, but I cannot go at my fastest speed. These steps are a result of the day as well as my walk. Joni
  • retirehappy
    Options
    In case anyone missed this and is wondering why your fitbit is giving you more Active Minutes in the Dashboard:

Hi everyone! We've made some refinements to the way Active Minutes are tracked in user accounts, and wanted to draw some attention to this change, as well as clarify the feature for anyone who may not yet be familiar with it. The following information (and more) can also be found in this help article.

What are Active Minutes?

Your Fitbit tracker recognizes and awards active minutes when you engage in an activity that is more strenuous than regular walking. This includes everything from a more brisk walk to a cardio workout or a run. This stat is designed to help you track the more intensive activity during your day.

How are Active Minutes calculated?

All Fitbit trackers calculate active minutes using the concept of metabolic equivalents (METs), a unit that represents the amount of oxygen a body uses during physical activity. METs are widely used as indicators for exercise intensity.

Fitbit uses these MET measurements to categorize your time as lightly active, moderately active, or very active. Previously, different Fitbit trackers were configured to highlight different ranges of these categories. Which leads us to...

What has changed with Active Minutes?

All Fitbit trackers are now looking at Active Minutes in the same way. To align with CDC recommendations, this new metric more accurately reflects a combination of your moderate and high-intensity exercise.

For Flex, One, Zip, and Ultra users: you previously saw only Very Active Minutes contribute toward your daily Active Minutes goal. Beginning in April 2015, you'll start seeing both Very Active and Moderately Active Minutes combined to calculate this total, in the same way that other trackers currently operate. As a result, you'll now notice:

A higher active minutes total than you previously saw when only tracking very active minutes.
    An improved ranking in group leaderboards for active minutes.
    An increase in active minutes when you look at data for previous days.

All of these improvements are designed to give you a more accurate view of your active time throughout the day, and to put everyone on the same Active Minutes metric.

Hopefully this clears up any changes you might see with your Dashboard - let us know if you have any questions!
    Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?
  • sharondtd
    Options
    @retirehappy thank you for the info. I'd wondered about that, because my Very active minutes did increase without my doing anything different.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Bumping for those thinking of getting a Fitbit.
  • mangotango
    mangotango Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey Retire - thanks. Been reading thru all - will have to sort it out a bit in my head. Just really tired and need to get some zzzz's. Thanks for bumping the discussion!
    Marie
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My Charge HR arrived last night. Now the learning curve starts. I'm ready to rip it off my wrist and I have only been wearing it overnight but i am not used to wearing a watch at home. iT is a lovely purple color. :wink:
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Ooh. You got the colored one! :) Since I wear a watch even in the shower, it hasn't bothered me. Hope you get used to the sensation soon.