Brand new to the Paleo Lifestyle- Need tips on not having to constantly be cooking!

Options
cassybaca
cassybaca Posts: 23 Member
ok so I've been trying so hard to be strict Paleo... I think :-) I think I've figured out pretty good what's "allowed" and not "allowed" anyway lol. I am trying to follow it 100% for health and weight loss purposes (I have a whole person to lose ugh), but I also switched my whole family about 75% ish for health purposes.

My problem is this. I fee like I am cooking ALL DAY LONG! As soon as I am done making breakfast and prepping dinner, then it's lunch time it seems. Ugh. I also homeschool my kids and we have a lot of activities so we run a lot and I feel like I'm constantly preparing healthy snacks, meals, food prep, or grocery shopping! I've tried to find tips to be better organized so I bought these Dixie disposable Tupperwares with kids that I have pre-filled with snacks and have stacked in my fridge so we can grab and go but man! I'm hoping this gets easier :-/ I'm actually enjoying the lifestyle change, I'm feeling better, the weight is falling off of me, my kids are even getting used to it (begrudgingly)... But I already don't feel like I have enough time in my day and now I'm adding in extra hours of this stuff. Any advice, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated. I really want this to be successful. My dr flat out told me I was going to die if I didn't make a drastic change. My blood pressure is so dangerously high he wanted to hospitalize me immediately. I'm on more pills than should be legal honestly. I don't want to die. I'm trying so hard. I want to do this. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cassy, first off; are your kids old enough to help with meals? We homeschooled our kids and they all were part of the kitchen crew, did the chores too so my wife always had help when she needed it. They are all in their 30's now and they all cook and are competent in the kitchen. I am the only one doing full Paleo in our household so I cook when ever I can but I do a batch meal for my lunches once a week on Sunday, honestly it is as easy to cook five meals as it is one, and many people will cook two dinners and freeze one for the following week at least the main course.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It'll get easier as you settle into routines, but here are some ideas:

Keep things simple. Seriously, nothing wrong with a lettuce-wrapped burger, with tomato, homemade mayo, onion, and whatever else you want on it. A stash of frozen vegetables is a lifesaver, too. A good meal is often as simple as some bacon and eggs.

Batch cook or prepare your foods. My son is in preschool, so I get to supply his afternoon snack. What I generally do is buy a couple of bell peppers, or whatever I'll be packing for the week, and cut everything up at the beginning of the week to put everything into "single serving" containers. Then, all I have to do is grab a container, pack it up, and off we go! The same goes for dinners -- we tend to cook up a bunch of meat on a given day, then reheat it and fix up vegetable sides (or make them ahead of time and reheat them, too). Chop up veggies for salads or snacks or whatever.

I had more, I thought, but that just about covers it.
  • cassybaca
    Options
    Welcome Cassy, first off; are your kids old enough to help with meals? We homeschooled our kids and they all were part of the kitchen crew, did the chores too so my wife always had help when she needed it. They are all in their 30's now and they all cook and are competent in the kitchen. I am the only one doing full Paleo in our household so I cook when ever I can but I do a batch meal for my lunches once a week on Sunday, honestly it is as easy to cook five meals as it is one, and many people will cook two dinners and freeze one for the following week at least the main course.

My oldest helps out on days he's home (he works part time and is with his dad part time). Then I have a child with special needs who's not much help and a 6 year old who tries but is also limited lol.

I will have to try batch cooking again. I've tried it one other time in the past and I got discouraged because I had forgotten a few things at the store so it threw everything off. Lol I'm not very organized though I try to be :neutral_face:
  • cassybaca
    Options
    Keep things simple. Seriously, nothing wrong with a lettuce-wrapped burger, with tomato, homemade mayo, onion, and whatever else you want on it. A stash of frozen vegetables is a lifesaver, too. A good meal is often as simple as some bacon and eggs.[/quote]

True, but I know for me.. If I don't switch it up, I will get bored quickly and give up :-( And unfortunately I am picky as well lol so I can't just eat a plain old salad one day. Lol I'm trying to get better and I think this is helping but for now I definitely need to switch it up. I think the batch cooking is going to be my best bet. At least I don't have to cook today because I cooked all day yesterday for yesterday and today's meals for all 5 of us :-)

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Cook ups! are your best friend. I'm constantly boggled by people who cook up single portion foods every single meal.

"Bored quickly" and "picky"... if you have a negative mental dialogue then things won't be easy or enjoyable. Try thinking positive and find things you love.

I'm a single mom and employed full time. this lifestyle can be as easy or complicated as you choose. I could cook every night if I wanted to and always have a meal in under an hour, but since I don't want to cook every night and want lots of food for lunches too, I do cook ups on the weekend. Even if I cook on a week night I make enough for several meals. Not hard, just a choice.
  • Dragonwolf
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cassybaca wrote: »
    Keep things simple. Seriously, nothing wrong with a lettuce-wrapped burger, with tomato, homemade mayo, onion, and whatever else you want on it. A stash of frozen vegetables is a lifesaver, too. A good meal is often as simple as some bacon and eggs.

True, but I know for me.. If I don't switch it up, I will get bored quickly and give up :-( And unfortunately I am picky as well lol so I can't just eat a plain old salad one day. Lol I'm trying to get better and I think this is helping but for now I definitely need to switch it up. I think the batch cooking is going to be my best bet. At least I don't have to cook today because I cooked all day yesterday for yesterday and today's meals for all 5 of us :-)

Simple doesn't have to mean monotonous, and your salads don't have to be boring, either.

For example, you can roast a couple of chickens one night using this recipe -- http://everydaypaleo.com/easy-and-amazing-roast-chicken/ (seriously, don't underestimate this recipe, it's fabulous!)

Then, the next day, if there are any leftovers, you can shred them up, put them in a crock pot and make some Paleo-compliant BBQ sauce and have BBQ shredded chicken. Easy. Finally, you can toss the bones and some veggie scraps into another crock pot or a stock pot, and make chicken stock for other meals.

Tada! You have just made 2 meals with the meat, and supplied part of a couple dozen others with the bones!

If your salads are boring, then you're not making them right. Toss on your favorite stuff -- my husband loves salami, ham, pepperoni, and cheese (we're a Primal house, and he's not completely compliant, so some of these are a bit "taboo"), while I'm a fan of chicken, turkey, bacon, green peppers, green and black olives, and cheese on mine. I also like the Jersey Mike's "sub in a tub" approach -- lettuce, cheese, turkey, bacon (I get the club sub), tomatoes, onions, and mayo (yes, mayo. On a salad).
    cassybaca wrote: »

My oldest helps out on days he's home (he works part time and is with his dad part time). Then I have a child with special needs who's not much help and a 6 year old who tries but is also limited lol.

I will have to try batch cooking again. I've tried it one other time in the past and I got discouraged because I had forgotten a few things at the store so it threw everything off. Lol I'm not very organized though I try to be :neutral_face:

Never underestimate the abilities of either of your younger kids (yes, even your special needs one; they are usually far more capable than most people give them credit for and in my experience, it's often their caretakers that are holding them back, not their disability). There are always things that they can help with. They may not be able to carve the ham, but they can still measure out ingredients (or at least dump measured ingredients into bowls), mix up salads, help make shopping lists, and more.

Also, learn how to substitute things and improvise, so it's not so much a big deal if you forget something at the store. For example, yogurt, cream cheese, and sour cream are interchangeable in most recipes. You can use applesauce in place of eggs in recipes where the egg is a binder (ie - baked goods). A lot of meats are interchangeable in recipes, too -- making chili, but don't have ground beef? Then use the leftover chicken or turkey you have and chop or grind it up. Recipe calls for bison or venison, but you only have beef? Just use the beef, instead! Need tomato sauce, but you picked up tomato paste, instead? No problem, just add water to the paste!

Learn how to make stuff that doesn't require recipes and that can use what you have on hand. For example, rosemary is always a good option for white meat (pork or chicken), cumin is what gives taco meat that distinct flavor, and garlic goes well in just about anything.

On that note, grow your spice collection. I have smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, regular chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, mustard, cumin, and more in my cupboard. I also keep fresh onions and garlic around (which we generally prefer over the powdered version) pretty much all of the time.

For shopping, go through the recipes you want to make, take stock of what you have, and build a list of what you need. I'm a big fan of http://www.any.do/ and https://trello.com/ for such things, so I don't have to keep track of paper, and I have it with me all the time (because I have my phone with me all the time). This way, you're less likely to forget things.

And I agree with @Akimajuktuq‌, change that mental dialogue! You can do this, but you have to make the choice to get more organized and actively find a way that works for you! It's a conscious choice, each day, to be a healthier, more positive you. I know, that sounds cliche, but it's true. Stop saying "I can't..." or "I'm too picky..." and start saying "I can..." and "I will try this new thing..." Start with the stuff you know you like and branch out from there by making small changes to those familiar dishes.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I agree with kids helping! I have challenges with letting my child help as much as she'd like (I'm a control freak) but she has been cutting veggies and assisting with cooking (including on the stove) since she was 6 years old. She has only cut herself one time and not badly, and only a couple of very minor burns. The way I deal with wanting to micro-manage what she is doing is that I give her the task and move onto my own task. She does WAY better when I'm not hovering and criticizing. She's amazing actually.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "Never underestimate the abilities of either of your younger kids (yes, even your special needs one; they are usually far more capable than most people give them credit for and in my experience, it's often their caretakers that are holding them back, not their disability). There are always things that they can help with. They may not be able to carve the ham, but they can still measure out ingredients (or at least dump measured ingredients into bowls), mix up salads, help make shopping lists, and more."

I work in a group home for special needs adults, an I can tell you the ONE thing I would tell a parent is to be real with them and have expectations! I have all types of disabilities and mental health issues and what gets people the furthest is to lay it out plain and simple. To NOT treat them special. To expect they do to their physical capabilities. To talk to them like anyone else. Keep them thinking it is their responsibility too to help in the household as anyone does. For example we had a quadrapalegic man that had very limited range of motion but he would go around in his motor chair and collect things that his peers missed and set the table, he would take off tablecloths to the laundry room, he would carry his things to the sink after meals on his lap...he would pick out items for side dishes, and help stir things. He got out his own outfit for the next day even though he couldn't dress himself. He made his lunch except the main dish because he wasn't able to dish out leftovers but he could get all the other items. He reminded his peers to do things if they forgot, and helped staff keep track of his peers that needed supervision. So even though he was VERY limited he was able to do A LOT to contribute. As can any person with a disability. But it has to be taught and expected or it will be much harder for them later on. We are helping a lady with Autism now get over being pretty much treated like a screaming 2 year old her whole life and people actually bribed her with food! The more i lay it out for her and tell her what is and is not going to happen, and what she is expected to do, the better she behaves and the less she has her outbursts. People don't know how much these guys understand...they really do!

Ok that is the beginning of my 2 Cents but that is more than enough right now!! The point was ENLIST HELP of your kids! Also, the crockpot is your friend!! Set it and leave it while out doing whatever you do.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    "Never underestimate the abilities of either of your younger kids (yes, even your special needs one; they are usually far more capable than most people give them credit for and in my experience, it's often their caretakers that are holding them back, not their disability). There are always things that they can help with. They may not be able to carve the ham, but they can still measure out ingredients (or at least dump measured ingredients into bowls), mix up salads, help make shopping lists, and more."

I work in a group home for special needs adults, an I can tell you the ONE thing I would tell a parent is to be real with them and have expectations! I have all types of disabilities and mental health issues and what gets people the furthest is to lay it out plain and simple. To NOT treat them special. To expect they do to their physical capabilities. To talk to them like anyone else. Keep them thinking it is their responsibility too to help in the household as anyone does. For example we had a quadrapalegic man that had very limited range of motion but he would go around in his motor chair and collect things that his peers missed and set the table, he would take off tablecloths to the laundry room, he would carry his things to the sink after meals on his lap...he would pick out items for side dishes, and help stir things. He got out his own outfit for the next day even though he couldn't dress himself. He made his lunch except the main dish because he wasn't able to dish out leftovers but he could get all the other items. He reminded his peers to do things if they forgot, and helped staff keep track of his peers that needed supervision. So even though he was VERY limited he was able to do A LOT to contribute. As can any person with a disability. But it has to be taught and expected or it will be much harder for them later on. We are helping a lady with Autism now get over being pretty much treated like a screaming 2 year old her whole life and people actually bribed her with food! The more i lay it out for her and tell her what is and is not going to happen, and what she is expected to do, the better she behaves and the less she has her outbursts. People don't know how much these guys understand...they really do!

Ok that is the beginning of my 2 Cents but that is more than enough right now!! The point was ENLIST HELP of your kids! Also, the crockpot is your friend!! Set it and leave it while out doing whatever you do.

:highfive: That is awesome to hear!

My brother in law is slow (he's 25 and has the mentality of a child of about 8) and has speech issues, but what drives me bonkers is that his mother pretty much actively keeps him from doing more. My husband used to make him do his own laundry and make his own meals in the microwave when they were kids (he taught him how to do it and helped until BIL got it, of course, but he wouldn't do it completely for him). Their mom actually grounded my husband for doing those things! And now, my BIL is the only one living at their parents, so pretty much the only thing he does is unload the dishwasher, and my husband and I have both watched his maturity regress over the years. And he's so skiddish, because their mom is so overprotective, it just boggles my mind! Sometimes I think my BIL goes to work so faithfully (does one of those county-run workshop things) just so he can feel like a productive adult.

Also, as a person with high functioning Autism, thank you for helping that woman the way you are. Laying things out the way you are is huge, because it makes expectations clear. One of the hardest things for pretty much all of us is divining expectations and whatnot, especially when other people are involved (this is why many freak out when plans get changed on them, it screws with the expectations). It sounds like she might be non-verbal, too (or perhaps was when she was younger), which makes communicating that kind of need so much harder and more frustrating (and when you understand that, it becomes no wonder when an Autistic person freaks out -- imagine being a perfectly intellectually capable person (because mental capacity distribution is actually pretty much the same among people with Autism as it is among neurotypicals) unable to communicate the way others do, and getting treated like you're stupid or stuck at age 2, it has to be maddening). Having someone who understands that you're a capable adult, and you just need clear rules/directions/expectations and an alternative form of communication, is huge.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    When my hubby cooks burgers, he fills the grill. I bag and freeze the leftovers in 2s and 3s so that I can just pull a bag out of the fridge and have a burger (wrapped in lettuce with bacon, my sauce (ketchup, mayo, mustard, and pickle juice all mixed together), cheese, a fried egg, whatever) or a "steak" (topped with butter or sauteed onions and/or mushrooms) or just cut it up & shove it into my lunchbox with a dipping sauce.

I baked 8 porkchops yesterday - 3 were eaten at lunchtime, the rest were stuck in the fridge. Dinner tonight will probably be a porkchop & I'll throw together a mushroom sauce in a frying pan (ie, saute mushrooms in oil or bacon grease or butter, add cream, cook until hot - I imagine you could do the same with coconut milk if you don't use dairy) since hubby is out of town and doesn't like porkchops or mushrooms.

I baked 2 pork tenderloins last week - 1 has been eaten, the other has been cut into medallions and frozen in lunch-size portions in a container that has a dip compartment, so I can dump something to dip it in and shove it into my lunchbox.

I have 5 pounds of ground beef, 2 pounds of ground pork, and 1 pound of a blend of ground beef, heart, and liver. I'm going to brown 2 pounds of ground beef and freeze it in containers so I can thaw it and make a quick hamburger gravy or meaty spaghetti sauce. The rest, I'm going to make into meatballs & burgers, adding spices, cheese, shredded veggies, etc. Most will be frozen, so I have quick proteins.

I buy the rolls of breakfast sausage and brown 2 or so at a time, then package them into about 3/4 cup portions, which is the right size for 4 of us for breakfasts. Dump in pan, turn on heat, once it's thawed out and heating up, add the eggs to scramble it. I often toss raw spinach in there too.

I buy sausages (after reading the ingredients) and keep them on hand for the days when I just don't want to cook. Heat in the microwave, add a bag of veggies, dinner is ready.

We keep frozen steam-in-a-bag veggies on hand. Quick and easy options to get some vegetation in.

Hope that helps!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Great info above... but I personally have reservations about microwaving/heating in plastic so I choose not to do it. There's more likelihood of substances in plastic getting into the food when heat is involved.

If time to cut things is an issue: I don't find cutting things takes very long now that I have high quality knives. The only regret I have about purchasing good knives is that I didn't do it sooner!
  • Twibbly
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Great info above... but I personally have reservations about microwaving/heating in plastic so I choose not to do it. There's more likelihood of substances in plastic getting into the food when heat is involved.

The veggies are generally the only things I heat in plastic. I figure if it's the difference between me eating veggies and not eating veggies, eating veggies is probably still the better option. I figure don't break the diet first, then get specific.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Do you not have Corningware? I don't see why it comes down to microwaving in plastic or not eating veggies. Even if I didn't mind eating plasticizers I know the hormone disrupting substances wouldn't be good for my child. I'm all for time-saving strategies but the extra 30 seconds to put something in a microwave safe container seems worth the effort. imo
  • Twibbly
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's an extra 30 seconds to put it in a microwave-safe container...if my microwave-safe container is already clean and not including clean up time.

That's a big if in my world, and honestly, I'll generally skip veggies before doing dishes because I'm stressed enough.

It isn't a good thing, but if it's the difference between me eating veggies and me eating something else, I'm going to eat the food and not worry about the slippery slope to perfection.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I used to use plastic, but threw most of my plastic containers out or recycled them out of concerns about toxins. I bought various sizes of glass containers to use when we use the microwave, but usually we will reheat on top of the stove. It really doesn't take much longer, once you get used to it. I'd like to get rid of the microwave too, but my kids are protesting. Since they do use the microwave, I'm glad they have glass containers or bowls to heat stuff up in.

Quite often, we will just eat the leftovers cold rather than heat them up.

Those meal ideas sounded so good Twibbly. I cook in bulk too, and usually have a couple of different meal options in the fridge (looking pretty in their glass containers in the fridge, makes it easy to see what's in them) I do many of the same things, but would add that I try to plan ahead and have some meat thawing in the fridge ready to cook before we run out of leftovers in the fridge.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and work full time too. My daughter is 16 and my son is 21 and while they're not much help in the kitchen I do make them do other things (trash, kitty litter, lawn mowing, laundry, etc. that more than makes up for me doing the cooking). I tend to pick 3 or 4 meals a week and then fill in the rest with salads, veggies, and fruits. This weekend I grilled tons of chicken breasts and while I was there I threw three or four bunches of asparagus in foil packets, and baby carrots in a few others. Tonight I made a huge pot of Cream of Zucchini soup and 3 pounds of homemade pork sausage (about 48 pieces). Tomorrow will probably be ground beef cooked in a skillet with diced apples and fresh baby spinach. We will be able to eat off of these all week. Breakfast will be left over sausage heated up with fruit, lunch is soup and a piece of grilled chicken, etc. I've also been known to throw tuna on a bed of lettuce with balsamic and have hard boiled eggs and avacado on the side. Super easy.

I usually will by some Boar's Head turkey or roast beef, cheese, bread and plain chips for them to fill in the gaps, and I'm pretty sure there are times they get food after school but I feel good knowing they eat well on a daily basis.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I used to use plastic, but threw most of my plastic containers out or recycled them out of concerns about toxins. I bought various sizes of glass containers to use when we use the microwave, but usually we will reheat on top of the stove. It really doesn't take much longer, once you get used to it. I'd like to get rid of the microwave too, but my kids are protesting. Since they do use the microwave, I'm glad they have glass containers or bowls to heat stuff up in.

Quite often, we will just eat the leftovers cold rather than heat them up.

Those meal ideas sounded so good Twibbly. I cook in bulk too, and usually have a couple of different meal options in the fridge (looking pretty in their glass containers in the fridge, makes it easy to see what's in them) I do many of the same things, but would add that I try to plan ahead and have some meat thawing in the fridge ready to cook before we run out of leftovers in the fridge.

I've done a lot of research on the microwave issue and I don't think there is any danger from eating microwaved food (all I use mine for is reheating and steaming veggies) but there are concerns about how much radio waves may escape while it is operating. Safety standards for appliances leave a lot to be desired these days. But don't stand near it, keep you kids away from it, make sure the door is operating/closing properly and it should be fine.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk to comment on the plastic but I can't keep my mouth shut when a recommendation is potentially harmful. If everything we put in our body matters, as I think it does, then knowingly consuming contaminants (hormone mimicking plasticizers especially!) when there's a quick fix seems strange to me. I'm a single employed mom too and there's a balance to save time but also do things in the safest/healthiest manner. But yeah, I might get 30 minutes less tv time in the evening. Oh well.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So many great suggestions! I use my slow cooker ALL the time. It makes life so much easier. I've got a big batch of beef bone broth simmering in it at home right now. Also got a pork shoulder that I did up over the weekend that we'll be able to pick at for the week. Get creative with when you eat things. Like if you make a pulled pork or have left over veg eat them with your eggs for breakfast. Good luck, it will get easier :smile:
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a no cook paleo cookbook:

http://www.nocookpaleo.com/
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    cindytw wrote: »

:highfive: That is awesome to hear!

My brother in law is slow (he's 25 and has the mentality of a child of about 8) and has speech issues, but what drives me bonkers is that his mother pretty much actively keeps him from doing more. My husband used to make him do his own laundry and make his own meals in the microwave when they were kids (he taught him how to do it and helped until BIL got it, of course, but he wouldn't do it completely for him). Their mom actually grounded my husband for doing those things! And now, my BIL is the only one living at their parents, so pretty much the only thing he does is unload the dishwasher, and my husband and I have both watched his maturity regress over the years. And he's so skiddish, because their mom is so overprotective, it just boggles my mind! Sometimes I think my BIL goes to work so faithfully (does one of those county-run workshop things) just so he can feel like a productive adult.

Also, as a person with high functioning Autism, thank you for helping that woman the way you are. Laying things out the way you are is huge, because it makes expectations clear. One of the hardest things for pretty much all of us is divining expectations and whatnot, especially when other people are involved (this is why many freak out when plans get changed on them, it screws with the expectations). It sounds like she might be non-verbal, too (or perhaps was when she was younger), which makes communicating that kind of need so much harder and more frustrating (and when you understand that, it becomes no wonder when an Autistic person freaks out -- imagine being a perfectly intellectually capable person (because mental capacity distribution is actually pretty much the same among people with Autism as it is among neurotypicals) unable to communicate the way others do, and getting treated like you're stupid or stuck at age 2, it has to be maddening). Having someone who understands that you're a capable adult, and you just need clear rules/directions/expectations and an alternative form of communication, is huge.

Thank you! I have never spoken to a person who can articulate what Autism feels like, but I do know from working with them that other than the sensory things, the way you treat them matter a LOT! Treat them ike an infant, you WILL get a tantrum! And our lady can scream to the point I think I may have hearing loss from being in a bathroom with her! But guess what, she is now doing 100% more for herself and having less behaviors, and she now calls me to talk her down when she gets anxious. I think that is a win! She IS verbal, but can't articulate well. She contradicts herself a lot, so I am not sure what that is about yet. She will say she wants to go to the bathroom, but SCREAM "NO!" at me when I say "Ok, let's go!" Could also be part of the bribery culture she is used to. Haven't cracked that code yet! But she does get it when she is clearly asking for a bribe and I tell her we are not here to do that we are here to help her do what she needs to do.