Muscle fatigue getting worse.

Options
2»

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Like others are saying, electrolytes could well play a factor, and for someone as active as you are you probably need to pay closer attention to that than most of us.

But the keto adapted part is going to matter, and is something you'll unfortunately just have to be patient with. You'll notice yourself hitting the wall sooner than you're used to, but that should change at some point during your second month on keto (maybe not instantly, might be like 6-7 weeks in for some), and your peak performance abilities should go back to where they were pre-keto.

Yes there are options that involve more carbs, but you *absolutely* don't want to consider them until you're 100% sure you're keto adapted, I'd suggest waiting a couple more months to even think about this as an option.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    2 weeks in to Keto is very likely a short period to do rigorous exercise. You probably need to slowly build up the distance/time and your body will adapt.

Exactly. You need to be patient. Unless you are an exercise instructor or something you do need to give it a rest for a couple more weeks at least until you become keto-adapted. In your free time you gain, I highly recommend that you read either The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance and/or The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs. Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek to understand why your performance is suffering now but it is worth it to stick it out a few more weeks to reap the benefits of being keto-adapted.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant to you or not but, along with the exhausted muscles I was really short of breath at the least exertion, which I also ignored and put down to the summer heat. That was stupid because summer has never effected me like that before. I ended up with heart palpitations and feeling really lethargic, no interest in anything for about a week afterwards, so my body forced me to rest whether I liked it or not. I ended up at emergency with the heart palpitations because I was really scared. I'm 58 and that's the first time I've ever gone to a hospital other than birthing my 2 sons. I'm just not a sickly person.

Just posting that in case you do feel any other symptoms so that you know it *is* worth paying attention to them. I hope you are not getting any of that though.
  • MrsNonsense
    MrsNonsense Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @GrannyMayOz‌ well, It's hard for me to notice any shortness of breath, I've had breathing problems for the past 8 months, just to find out a couple months ago that I had allergies, (been on several inhalers and whatnot), now I'm taking claritin and singulair daily and my breathing issues were improving but I wasn't 100%, so I didn't really know it would get worse with Keto.
    I'm not an instructor or anything like that, I've been trying to get back in shape because I have plans of joining the service soon, I was having asthma-like symptoms for months before I got told I had allergies, I couldn't even walk up the stairs to my apartment, so I was very happy when I was able to start working out again. So now finding out that I won't be able to for a couple of months puts me in a tough spot. Decisions decisions :(
    I have lots of energy and I feel great except for this muscle fatigue thing.
    I'm sad.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    You need to patient and give the body time to adjust or eat more carbs. If you eat more carbs, body adjusts slower but if you don't add carbs then let the body adjust. Couple of months might be too long, take a week off and slowly increase the time you workout. Its short term loss, long term gain. Your body is adapted to burning carbs even at a lower HR and it is not going to change overnight to burn fat. The real magic of Keto happens when you give the time for body to adapt and when your body start using fat at higher HR. I decided to run a full marathon last week, with out training or even running for 6 months. I felt fresh with no soreness or pain after the race. I am pretty sure Keto played a big role in lack of inflammation. So decide what you want, short term satisfaction or long term benefits.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I agree with the electrolytes comments.
    No one said you had to stop for a few months, just back it down a bit.
    I have asthma and the magnesium will help with your breathing after a week or two of supplements (or just getting enough). It is an anti-inflammitory.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I agree with Leonidas and Kuranda, I don't think you need to stop for a couple of months. I stopped completely for a week, because of the heart palpitations and feeling so ill, and only did a little the following week. After that I was back to my old routine at the same fitness level as when I'd stopped. So *for me* 2 weeks was enough and you're a lot younger, so I hope that 2 weeks would be all the break you'd need and then you can get right back to it. If your experience is the same as mine.
  • DissLocated
    DissLocated Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    2 weeks in to Keto is very likely a short period to do rigorous exercise. You probably need to slowly build up the distance/time and your body will adapt.

Agree with this. 2 weeks is quite a short time. I've been keto for 3 months now and have no problems exercising - in fact I've never felt fitter!

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I agree on magnesium. It helped my legs work better.

Google Vitamin D3 and K1 and K2. I never understood the relationship of those two vitamins on calcium uptake until recently.

I just got some Life Extension Super K to try a couple days ago so no thoughts on it at this time. It seems for the body to best get the use of Vitamin D3 that Vitamins K1 and K2 are required. D3 is very cheap locally but I am only finding Vitamin K options on line and the cost is not bad unless it has about 500 mcg of K2 in the Complex.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I agree with the electrolytes comments.
    No one said you had to stop for a few months, just back it down a bit.
    I have asthma and the magnesium will help with your breathing after a week or two of supplements (or just getting enough). It is an anti-inflammitory.

Ooooh! I didn't know this. I have "suspected" asthma. Runs in the family and I've recently developped annoying symptoms. I have an appointment next week to confirm it. Been really trying to avoid inhalers. I will try this!!
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Here is my 2 cents.

As @leonidas_and_spartacus‌ said, adapting to a ketogenic diet is a major stress on the body. The kind of stress that uses a lot of resources and requires many moving parts. If you chose to follow a ketogenic diet you have to give your body a break during the adaptation period and maybe a little longer. I would recommend (based only on my personal experience) to take it easy during the adaptation period so as to not create additional problems we can't control or even we might misinterpret.

Basicaly during this period you should:
    1-limit the carbs to 20g
    2-limit the protein to whatever + or - 20g wiggle room
    3-Add fats to everything.
    4-watch your minerals - I just drink broth and use spinach and mushrooms.

I don't start counting calories until adaptation (about 3 to 4 weeks in). The reason some of us get the carb flu, feel performance and recovery go way down or maybe even some euphoria / depression in the first few days is because the body does not like what we are doing to it.

Avoid song stressors such as exercise, arguing with your spouse if you can, long travel during the adaptation. It will go a long way to speed up the adaptation and limit weird issues.
  • MrsNonsense
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had the worst night last night. I was feeling unusually tired and when I went to bed, as I was falling asleep I stared having heart palpitations and my shoulder/neck muscles were really tired.
    I started taking magnesium/calcium and potassium supplements yesterday. Started with 500mg calcium, 200mg magnesium citrate and 99g potassium gluconate.
    I was very worried, took me a while to decide to fall asleep. I was so scared I thought on quitting everything the next morning.
    Also, I added coffee and diet soda to my diet (I'm not used to drinking those, really). 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day for the last 2 days, 1 or 2 soda cans a day for the last 2 days.
    Should I be worried?
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You need to stop working out for a week or two. I tried working out in first two weeks in Keto, I felt terrible. I didn't even try to workout for first 4 weeks in Keto. Then I started adding 5 min every day to my work outs. People underestimate how big a change keto can be to your body. All your life, you are used to carbs, there is no need to put unnecessary stress by working out in first few weeks. Take electrolytes but stop working out. What are your goals? Lose weight? Better endurance? better performance?
  • MrsNonsense
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @leonidas_and_spartacus‌ I want to go back to playing roller derby, I also wanted to run the tough mudder in Vegas this year and I'm getting back in shape to join the service.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I had the worst night last night. I was feeling unusually tired and when I went to bed, as I was falling asleep I stared having heart palpitations and my shoulder/neck muscles were really tired.
    I started taking magnesium/calcium and potassium supplements yesterday. Started with 500mg calcium, 200mg magnesium citrate and 99g potassium gluconate.
    I was very worried, took me a while to decide to fall asleep. I was so scared I thought on quitting everything the next morning.
    Also, I added coffee and diet soda to my diet (I'm not used to drinking those, really). 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day for the last 2 days, 1 or 2 soda cans a day for the last 2 days.
    Should I be worried?

I had heart palpitations at night before starting keto and during the first few weeks. I'm only just realizing they seem to have stopped. I have had very sore neck and shoulder muscles too, but I think I sleep in a funny position: stretching exercises seem to help with these. I wonder whether the heart thing is part of the adaptation? Don't know if anyone knows why this might be? I don't expect caffeine will help though. Good luck.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've always been a regular and somewhat heavy exerciser. While adjusting to Keto, I couldn't last more than 30 min on the arc trainer, and even that was excruciating. However, after a couple weeks, I regained all my ability. Maybe just walk for now and let your body adjust. You have to keep in mind that your body is adjusting the entire pathway it uses to make ATP, the energy source for your cells. This means that changes in gene expression are also taking place. Your body will adjust. You don't need to add more carbs. Mg might help a little, but it won't work miracles.