WHEN did your hair loss start?

Options
2»

Replies

• mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mine started at 3 months and it's still falling out (I'm 4 1/2 month post op right now). I read an article that iron and zinc deficiencies also cause hair loss after surgery. So I added OTC iron and zinc to my vitamin regimen (my multivitamin didn't have a significant amount of either). I also added biotin since my NUT told me it would help. So far no bald spots, just very, very thin hair. My hair stylist told me she does see new hair, so I hope I grow it faster than losing it until this finally ends.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have any noticeable hair loss, but there must have been some because my hair feels a bit thicker now. Maybe it's just because I eat a lot healthier now and take vitamins regularly.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Mine started at about 5 months and was over by about 8 months. I had minimal hair loss thanks to taking two multivitamins a day, iron, biotin, vitamin D and B12.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    dsjsmom23 wrote: »
    Mine started at 3 months. It's not at all noticeable, because I have a TON of hair, but it's annoying, finding hair everywhere! I had to buy a broom to sweep my bathroom everyday.
    I'm now 5 months out and it has slowed down significantly.

And now i'm almost 9 months out, and it has stopped completely.
    I started taking omega 3's at 7 months, and that helped my hair significantly!

• jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm a cosmetologist (hair stylist) in a natural/ organic salon...here are a couple of pointers
    Biotin- keep using it if you have hair loss even if you don't think it's working...your body will use it for other things first and eventually it will get to your follicles
    no chemicals- if you color your hair switch to an ammonia free color and buy shampoos that are sulfate free...go as natural as possible
    Protein- duh!
    Omegas- flax oil and fish oil are full of omegas...you can hide flax oil in just about anything! This will strengthen your hair and give is luster
    Rosemary- this is a more herbal approach, you can rub it on your scalp in oil form or just eat it
    Coffee- wierd buy you can get shampoos that contain coffee and it actually stimulates your hair follicle
    Also for gods sake if your hair is stringy and falling out cut it short! It will look better while you go through that phase! Even I you are married to your long hair guess what it grows back
    Ps don't use Nixon or rogain please!!!
    Pps check all ingredients on the environmental working group website called skin deep
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I struggled and continue to struggle with hair loss. I started noticing the loss at about 3 months after surgery. I've been losing hair for about 4 months now (I am 7 months post op as of this week). Its only started to slow down, but at least its slowing down! I don't have handfuls of hair anymore during and after my shower so that is good news!

I was good with my protein and vitamin intake after surgery. I was told that since I had the VSG and heart surgery within 2 days of each other, that my body went through so much and to expect a lot of hair loss. It is noticeably thinner, but I cut it about 6 inches to my shoulders and it immediately looked fuller. I also started taking hair, skin, nails vitamins. About a month ago I started using Dabur Vatika Wild Cactus shampoo and other wild cactus products. I freaked out about my hair and so I did alot of research, found this product and it has helped my hair a lot. My hair is still thin but it makes my hair feel thicker and gives it more body.

Its also important to remember that we worry about our hair and notice it more than anyone else. But playing around with hair products and taking extra vitamins can't hurt, especially if it will make you feel better because you are trying to combat the loss. At least it made me feel better knowing that I was actively trying to stop the loss.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    jove102 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm a cosmetologist (hair stylist) in a natural/ organic salon...here are a couple of pointers
    Biotin- keep using it if you have hair loss even if you don't think it's working...your body will use it for other things first and eventually it will get to your follicles
    no chemicals- if you color your hair switch to an ammonia free color and buy shampoos that are sulfate free...go as natural as possible
    Protein- duh!
    Omegas- flax oil and fish oil are full of omegas...you can hide flax oil in just about anything! This will strengthen your hair and give is luster
    Rosemary- this is a more herbal approach, you can rub it on your scalp in oil form or just eat it
    Coffee- wierd buy you can get shampoos that contain coffee and it actually stimulates your hair follicle
    Also for gods sake if your hair is stringy and falling out cut it short! It will look better while you go through that phase! Even I you are married to your long hair guess what it grows back
    Ps don't use Nixon or rogain please!!!
    Pps check all ingredients on the environmental working group website called skin deep

if only I had cut my hair immediately. I look back at those photos and my hair just looked awful. all the stress on the follicle of leaving it long probably caused me waaaay more loss.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest fear! I am a little more than a week before surgery and six months away from wedding...I am religious about biotin, my vitamins and proteins even pre-surgery. Thanks for all the tips everyone, it's nice to know what to possibly expect.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

FYI about Rosemary--please use with caution if you have blood pressure issues as it is contraindicated for people with blood pressure issues (especially high).

• mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had an interesting conversation with my surgeon last week. When I ask about hair loss, he said that all the supplements I was taking (biotin, iron, zinc) weren't going to make my hair stop falling out or grow back any quicker. Bottom line, according to my surgeon, is that my body went into starvation mode and I experienced very rapid weight loss. My body stopped using protein to make hair and used it to keep me alive. Once the rapid weight loss levels out (which he thinks is now for me), my body will begin to make new hair. He laughed and said that patients believe that the supplements are what starts the new hair growth, but it is just plan old physiology - starvation stops and the body goes back to normal function.
    So.......I'm sure all the biotin iron and zinc I'm taking is still good for my health, but I'm not sure it will do anything to enhance my hair growth. Of course this is just one doctors opinion, but I was told pretty much the same thing by my primary care physician back in January. I'll just be happy when hair growth exceeds hair loss!!!!
  • loribashor
    loribashor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mae7365 wrote: »
    I had an interesting conversation with my surgeon last week. When I ask about hair loss, he said that all the supplements I was taking (biotin, iron, zinc) weren't going to make my hair stop falling out or grow back any quicker. Bottom line, according to my surgeon, is that my body went into starvation mode and I experienced very rapid weight loss. My body stopped using protein to make hair and used it to keep me alive. Once the rapid weight loss levels out (which he thinks is now for me), my body will begin to make new hair. He laughed and said that patients believe that the supplements are what starts the new hair growth, but it is just plan old physiology - starvation stops and the body goes back to normal function.
    So.......I'm sure all the biotin iron and zinc I'm taking is still good for my health, but I'm not sure it will do anything to enhance my hair growth. Of course this is just one doctors opinion, but I was told pretty much the same thing by my primary care physician back in January. I'll just be happy when hair growth exceeds hair loss!!!!

After much reading on the topic, I think this is exactly true. There is not much we can do other than make a great environment for hair growing back. Supplements of vitamins and protein should help create that environment. There was a post on another thread from a hair dresser and I think that her suggestions were also good regarding not using a lot of harsh products or over-processing. This can help slow the process so that the new hair can catch up with the hair that is going to fall out.
    Other than these things, I just look at a lot of before and after photos from successful VSG'ers. They have great hair :). So, we'll be fine. And, we'll be so much healthier as well!
  • jove102
    Options
    mae7365 wrote: »

Well if you look at what I wrote that your body will use it where it needs it the most, first and eventually it will get to your follicles, then you will see I am saying the same thing as your surgeon...taking zinc and iron are good too! From working in the organic/ natural industry I have seen a lot of doctors Poo poo natural cures because they don't know enough about them...I literally see results every day..I get you were trying to help in this post but it's sort of negative and when woman lose their hair it effects so much of them...our beauty lies in our hair...and didn't we do all of this to feel healthy and beautiful again?
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    our beauty lies in our hair...and didn't we do all of this to feel healthy and beautiful again?

My beauty certainly doesn't lie in my hair. I like my hair, and yes I would be sad if I lost it, but it doesn't make or break me. I also didn't have this surgery to be beautiful. My health was waning and I needed to get things under control. Looking better is simply a bonus.

I, for one, appreciate the honesty of that response. She said that we should continue to take supplements to help down the line, but she's also giving the reality of it all. The fact is, supplements may or may not help prevent hair loss. By saying that it will, what is that doing to the person that they're not working for? Everyone is different. I have been extremely lucky and at 6 months out, I haven't had hair loss. That's without taking anything. On the other hand, there are people out there taking handfuls of supplements everyday and still losing hair.

Try not to assume that everyone's journey is the same as yours, or that we all did this for the sake of our outer appearance.
  • jove102
    Options
    I deal with woman who have lost their hair because of chemo every day and trust me if you lost all of yours you would change your tune...also if you read my lat sentence I mentioned feeling "healthy" and beauitiful...being healthy is beautiful my friend...I didn't have this surgery because of my outward appearance but it has made me feel great and more happy with my outward appearance. So taking a line from you, don't assume honey
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I lost the most hair between months four and five. I'm at 7 months now and it's thickening up again. My doctor has been great about checking in on all my vitamin levels, and I've tried to stay on plan re: protein.

I'm one of those women who lose a *lot* of hair after my pregnancies (I have amazingly lush, thick hair while pregnant, though!), and this hair loss wasn't as extreme as I've experienced then. I could tell it was thinning, but I didn't get the receding around my forehead/temple area that I've had before.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with rogaine?
  • raqdabells73
    raqdabells73 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am over 2 months out and have noticed that I am losing a bit more hair than usual. I have started taking Biotin and making sure to take my vitamins and protein intake is where it should be. Hoping it will stop soon.