Dragonwolf wrote: »

The cake is a lie!

Sorry...couldn't resist....

+1 for the portal reference
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I have recently decided to track for macros only and nutrients (so I can supplement as needed) and to not stress the calories. I am having success with it! I don't always track anymore, and my intake is all over the place, but I think I eat what I need more this way. Stressing over it makes it worse for me. The key is I am also trying to be more active and not to eat if I am not actually hungry. Mindless snacking can get me! But if I do track for a few weeks and say hey, I ate 2000 calories of snacks , UH, I might wanna check that! I am eating double what MFP recommends and I lost 2# this week! So, I think in the context of a good diet where we are having our needs met the calories will sort themselves out if we are mindful as well to not be gluttons! I used to be a tracker but found it was not serving me anymore (to count calories).

I'm considering this option too. Just not counting the calories any more as I feel my hunger signals are pretty in check. I'm concerned that if I'm hungry, I must (for whatever reason) be at too much of a deficit, which could have negative impacts in terms of metabolism and insuling resistance. Which is what i'm trying to correct. That's not to say I'll eat with reckless abandom (though the thought is nice at times)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Quatroux wrote: »

The cake is a lie!

:highfive: Woot! Someone got it! My geekery has been fulfilled for the morning!
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2400-2500 cals per day and have no problem losing 2 lbs a week as long as I keep my protein 100-120 gms. I gain weight if my protein goes over 150g on a 2400-2500 cal diet. Figure out yourself, all these blogs and recommendations don't mean jack if your body is different. A good start would be to forget numbers and start listening to your body.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Quatroux wrote: »

The cake is a lie!

:highfive: Woot! Someone got it! My geekery has been fulfilled for the morning!

Sorry! I forgot to acknowledge it. I was trying to think of some clever way to talk about how I was thinking "the pie was a lie" when we bought one for the rest of the family on 3/14.

both my husband and I are going to serve the cheesecake suggested above for our birthdays, and we're going to make the fat head faux-carb pizza for ourselves and serve trattoria pizza to the 'normies.'
  • glossbones
    Options
    Oh, what's everyone's favorite almond crust cheesecake recipe? I see a whole lot of recipes, and the carb counts are all over the place.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My godmother had an awesome cheese cake: literally layers of different round cheeses on top of each other, getting smaller as they pile up. I'm not describing it well, but it looked fantastic.

When my friends got married, they chose not to have a wedding cake. Their families got together and gave them a "cake" just like you describe, as a wedding cake! Wheels of cheese of different sized made up the "layers" and they decorated it with flowers around each "level". The base was the biggest wheel of cheddar I have EVER seen! Must have costs hundreds of dollars! Needless to say, they were pretty darned happy.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Oh, what's everyone's favorite almond crust cheesecake recipe? I see a whole lot of recipes, and the carb counts are all over the place.

Who needs a crust? The innards are the best part! :stuck_out_tongue:

(But yeah, seriously, check out crustless options, too. From there, you should be able to just sub out the sugar for an equivalent sweetener like Splenda or xylitol.)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    My godmother had an awesome cheese cake: literally layers of different round cheeses on top of each other, getting smaller as they pile up. I'm not describing it well, but it looked fantastic.

When my friends got married, they chose not to have a wedding cake. Their families got together and gave them a "cake" just like you describe, as a wedding cake! Wheels of cheese of different sized made up the "layers" and they decorated it with flowers around each "level". The base was the biggest wheel of cheddar I have EVER seen! Must have costs hundreds of dollars! Needless to say, they were pretty darned happy.

I'm gonna ask for one for my birthday! ;) that way, I'll get most of it to myself!

I am thinking of making myself a peanut butter chocolate keto cheesecake for Easter so I won't feel deprived when everyone is scoffing their Easter eggs.

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    After searching starbucks on IG and reading this thread, I could really go for some ice coffee and cheese cake. What a winning combination!... coffee cheesecake?
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options

I usually wing it w/ almond flour and crushed pecans or almonds + butter + sweetener (SF davinci syrups are my go-to). I only make enough of a crust to coat the bottom & a little up the sides of the cheesecake, so amounts would depend on the size of your springform or other pan you're baking in. I seem to remember that Dana Carpendar had a pretty good recipe in one of her low carb books, but I know there are tons online, too. Experiment a little to see what works for you, but I think the less crust, the better. Gives you just enough of the "mouthfeel" of traditional cheesecake, looks pretty, and keeps your carbs lower. Definitely DO pre-bake your crust for about 10 minutes and cool before you add your filling, too.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2400-2500 cals per day and have no problem losing 2 lbs a week as long as I keep my protein 100-120 gms. I gain weight if my protein goes over 150g on a 2400-2500 cal diet. Figure out yourself, all these blogs and recommendations don't mean jack if your body is different. A good start would be to forget numbers and start listening to your body.

There you are! Hadn't seen your posts in awhile and wondered where you went to. You are a very good resource to have on these forums! :-)

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    @octobubbles There's a Strawberry Coconut Flour Cake recipe here that's Paleo and looks really nice empoweredsustenance.com/coconut-flour-cake/
  • glossbones
    Options
    @octobubbles There's a Strawberry Coconut Flour Cake recipe here that's Paleo and looks really nice empoweredsustenance.com/coconut-flour-cake/

Ooh that does look good! Thank you!

• annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    crustless cheese cake. Why bother with a crust? Spray your tin.
    Problem with cheese cake is when to stop eating all those tiny tasting bits.
    Pretty soon half is gone! There are a LOT of calories . Just saying, not that Goat is counting but some of us need to.

• kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I personally, don't count calories. If I'm hungry I eat, if not I don't. Some days I feel like I eat all day, others I don't eat much at all. I pretty much eat high fat and stay under 20g of carbs a day. I have lost 103 pounds since July 21 with 21 to go until I'm at a healthy BMI
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Way to go Kristen ! You've found what works for you. For now, I need to track my calories and try not to go over.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @kristenlarkin that's fantastic!
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I remember during my last successful low carb run I would actually get a slice of real cake complete with plate and fork, walk around with it for a few minutes so everyone saw it, then set it down somewhere in the kitchen when no one was watching. No one ever noticed that I didn't actually eat the thing. Of course don't try this if you're still struggling with cravings...
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I remember during my last successful low carb run I would actually get a slice of real cake complete with plate and fork, walk around with it for a few minutes so everyone saw it, then set it down somewhere in the kitchen when no one was watching. No one ever noticed that I didn't actually eat the thing. Of course don't try this if you're still struggling with cravings...

Now that is clever. I will try and do this with wine next time I am out with friends.