Do you eat more calories

Options
panda4153
panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
Hello, I have been with MFP for a few years. I lost 60lbs using the IIFYM methodology and counting calories. However, I have stalled, so I have transitioned into a LCHF diet. So far I really like it, but I do miss sweets :smile: I have found that Russel Stovers has some pretty good sugar free chocolates with low net carbs that seems to fill my craving pretty well.

I am wondering if people find that they are able to eat more calories and still lose on LCHF. I have been counting my carbs closely, and making suring I am hitting my fat and protien macros, but I have not been stringent with staying in my calorie counts for the day. In fact most days I am over by as much as 300-400 calories. I am trying to listen to my body, and I eat when I am hungry. If I am not hungry I don't eat.

I am not complaining, I have still lost 2lbs this week, but I am wondering if this normal? should I pay closer attention to the calories? I have read a lot of different things online, some say that you should still count calories others say don't worry about it so much. I have also read that it should find my appetite to naturally be satiated but I find that I am more hungry then before, could this be because I ate at a calorie deficit for so long that now that I am eating higher fat foods my appetite is kicking in?

I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences you can share.

Replies

• Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking to my calorie limit - but would be interested into know if I didn't need to. Who wouldn't like the option of a bit more food :smiley:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Most people will find that they lose a bunch of weight in the first couple of weeks they start LCHF. This is water weight and won't last, just so you're aware.

After that, many people find they can increase their calorie allotment by a couple hundred calories and still lose at the same rate. It's not guaranteed, but if after a month or so, you're losing at a faster rate than you were at this calorie amount before LCHF, then feel free to increase your calories a little.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    how-to-resist-temptation.jpg
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on the person's metabolism, expectations, wanted rate of loss, etc. Also, if you are hungry on LCHF, you are probably not eating enough fat and/or calories for YOU. Maybe bump your fat % up by 5% and see if that helps. Also, I recommend you try to eat your allotment every day unless you are sick or something. If I skimp on cals one day, I'm ravenous the next, and it tends to make me binge. So, eat as much as you can to actually lose, and 2 lbs in one weeks is stellar, so be thankful for your progress so far.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I can't help myself. LOL... I tried.

I, personally, have success losing weight eating well above the amounts that are recommended. Where I should be eating around 2200-2400 to maintain my weight, I average around 2600 and am still losing weight. Can I promise similar results for everyone? Only if no one is around to make me keep that promise. ;)

I can say that I am not the only person who has atypical results like this.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat is an experiment in protein thermogenesis. If you're going to increase your caloric intake with meat, it should be fine. Ice cream? Maybe not so much. :)

IMHO, the "don't count calories" should only apply to people in tune with their diet and metabolism. Just starting out with LCHF? I would watch and wait.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wabmester is right about that. Here's the bottom of my keto-calc results.

xu2blb58yzno.png

You can see my protein is a bit higher than recommended. ;) And, I intentionally try and spread it out over 3-4 meals a day. These are based on averages from the last time I bothered to track (which was 40 days of continuous tracking or so). Over the last 10 weeks, I have not gained weight. I have averaged a 0.35 lb/week loss (0.16 kg/week).

I am on my-own-plan. :p So, the experiment continues.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Vive la n=1!

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Rather than being tempted by fake candies and chocolates which seem to increase sweet cravings in some people and contain sugar alcohols, why not try some of the "fat bomb" recipies Ditto Dan has posted?
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When i was counting calories, i was eating 1100-1200 a day and losing only very slowly. Since i started cutting down on carbs, i have been eating about 1400 calories a day and losing weight about three times faster than i did before.
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tried strict Paleo for a month without tracking and gained 2 pounds. I loved the freedom of not tracking--I mean, loved it! My brother is the kind of guy who can eat a pound of bacon a day for breakfast and still lose--he's lost 20 lb in a month on 4,000 low-carb calories a day. Lucky dog. I, on the other hand, have found more success staying within a reasonable range. But reasonable fluctuates all over the place depending on my activity level and stress level. I ate about 1200 calories today, but some days I'm much closer to 3,000. I think it will be nice when you get to know your body and make a judgment for yourself.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I count calories... Sorry but calories still count, unles you are a fit-goat....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in the eat when hungry and watch the weekly trend category. My calorie allotment from MFP, based on 1 pound per week loss is 1720. Some days I eat <1600. Some days I eat almost 3000 calories. But, my FitBit syncs with MFP, and I installed than nifty PC add in for net carbing and pie charts, etc. and both show that at weekly, my calories are still generally considered at some kind of deficit.

I eat more when I'm hungry, and I eat less when I'm not. I use carbs as a limit, proteins as an acceptable range, and fats as needed to fill the gaps. Since 1/15, I'm down 15-20 pounds overall, 1.5 pants sizes, and several waist/hips/arms/thighs inches, so what I am doing WORKS FOR ME.

I can't say it works for everyone. After ditching the carb cravings (I strongly strongly recommend @KeithF6250 's recommendation to ditch sugar alcohols altogether, for the reasons he says, they "taste" closest to real sugar, and our bodies keep the cravings when eating them. Use Stevia (Pure Via Stevia is a great one) or other sweetener - natural or otherwise, that agrees with you, and keep it to a minimum.), I could HEAR my body's internal hunger voice better. Once you get to that point, the whole thing becomes simpler.

I track my food for carb levels, sometimes protein, etc. But calories are a faintly interesting byproduct. I don't put much stock in the over or under numbers unless I am way, way under! One day I was less than 800 calories due to stress, heading into the dinner hour with zero appetite, so I went for calorie dense fats to help...
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This past weekend I ate 2100 calories one day. MFP threatened me with a significant weight gain in 5 weeks. MFP recommends that I eat 1200 calories for a weight loss of something a little over 1 pound per week. I think the last time I checked my TDEE I would have to eat less than 1000 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week. I had my calories set to 1200 per day and would go over by 300-400 every day. I bumped it up to 1300 and now I go over about 1/3 of the time. I have no answers about how much people can eat. I wish I was like @FIT_Goat‌ that would be awesome. I'm not a huge proponent of the "oh you're not losing weight, try eating more" camp. If that were the case it seems like we would see a bunch of obese anorexics walking around. Trial and error, that's my answer.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you're losing, keep calories where they are. No need to take away food when you don't have to. If you were to stall for 3-4 weeks, maybe consider dropping calories by 100-200? Most importantly, if you're hungry, eat!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I count calories... Sorry but calories still count, unles you are a fit-goat....

No one has said otherwise....
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Titrating between NOT having any sweet substitute under Keto..going commando, OR finding Keto 'desserts' that work is personal. Some weeks you may be fine with pure low carb and no sweet 'taste' foods, then you really desire it…so after a lifetime to fight this need for sweet might lead to falling away right when sticking makes the difference.

What is your absolute favorite?

Ice cream? there are whole egg and heavy cream recipes that make buying an ice cream maker worth it if it helps YOU.

Next is chocolate sweet..recipes exist everywhere online, especially the talented Keto guy at www.ruled.me who offers pages of recipes free..he cooks all the time and is working on pies and other desserts that are PURE Keto.

Chocolate cane? Plain real Cocoa+Almond butter+coconut oil are amazing..add Macadamia or chopped Brazil nuts and shredded coconut flake for perfect high fat candy.

Fruit sweet? making hot berry sauce with blackberries, raspberries, and pouring over a chilled Keto cheesecake made from:butter-cream cheese and heavy cream…is out of this world!!..and my personal favorite.

Hot & sweet? try Almond milk (unsweet vanilla), butter and cocoa+flavors and heat- an amazing super wonderful hot coco drink with fewer calories and almost NO carbs.

I even tried blending hot almond milk and raspberry sauce, and butter…terrific!

I use Stevia and Swerve and no chemical sweeteners as my preference.

If you allow yourself to track a set calories number you will know the results better than guessing, starving at 1000 may teach you nothing. The "EM2WL" group at MFP promotes constant heavy exercise and eating just below TDEE..it takes a longer to lose 'fat' and build real muscle, but they can weigh MORE and LOOK thinner, but this method is suited to those who CAN do heavy exercise long term so attracts body builder and fitness buffs.

Good luck on your journey of discovery!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Hello, I have been with MFP for a few years. I lost 60lbs using the IIFYM methodology and counting calories. However, I have stalled, so I have transitioned into a LCHF diet. So far I really like it, but I do miss sweets :smile: I have found that Russel Stovers has some pretty good sugar free chocolates with low net carbs that seems to fill my craving pretty well.

I am wondering if people find that they are able to eat more calories and still lose on LCHF. I have been counting my carbs closely, and making suring I am hitting my fat and protien macros, but I have not been stringent with staying in my calorie counts for the day. In fact most days I am over by as much as 300-400 calories. I am trying to listen to my body, and I eat when I am hungry. If I am not hungry I don't eat.

I am not complaining, I have still lost 2lbs this week, but I am wondering if this normal? should I pay closer attention to the calories? I have read a lot of different things online, some say that you should still count calories others say don't worry about it so much. I have also read that it should find my appetite to naturally be satiated but I find that I am more hungry then before, could this be because I ate at a calorie deficit for so long that now that I am eating higher fat foods my appetite is kicking in?

I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences you can share.

Just a thought from looking at your diary. You use a lot of "standard" entry measurements, 1 sausage link, 1 cheese slice, etc. As long as you're still losing, that's not an issue. If you find you're stalling for an extended time (or gaining), it would be worth it to use a food scale for everything. Rarely do my cheese slices weigh up to the amount the package says, and the margins on sausage vary by company. Even eggs are different than the 1 egg entry - there have been times when I've been making a batch of a recipe, and weighing the number of eggs called for left me short or over by half an egg. In the meantime, be aware that while you're using those kinds of measurements, you may not actually be over by 300-400 at all.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi JPW1990, I actaully weight most of what I eat, I adjust the standard measurement to match whatever the weight of what I am eating. For example if package says 1TBS (28g) I will weigh it, if it is actually 32g I put in 1.14tbs. This works great for when I am using my scanner to scan in barcodes for the items I eat.

I have found that my cheese and bread almost always weigh what the package says is a serving, but if it is off, then I adjust for it.

My kitchen scale was a great investment. It has helped alot for me to know what correct portions are.

To add, if I dont know exactly what something weighs, for example if I eat out, or don't have my scale with me I enter the standard measurement. I know things are off in some cases by about 20% it can go either way over or under. I try to to get to intense over this as, I do not want to be so ruled by food, that I am afriad to eat something if I dont know exactly how much it weighs. You see this a lot on the general forums. I want to be healthy and feel good, sometimes you just have to live and let it go :)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Fruit sweet? making hot berry sauce with blackberries, raspberries, and pouring over a chilled Keto cheesecake made from:butter-cream cheese and heavy cream…is out of this world!!..and my personal favorite.

In order for this to get in my belly this weekend, a recipe would be very helpful.

*nodnodnod*

Please?