Do you eat more calories

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I count calories... Sorry but calories still count, unles you are a fit-goat....
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    No one has said otherwise....

Not even me. Calories do count. I just don't count calories. My body moderates my hunger based on need. Clearly, I am eating less calories than I am burning. I have to be. I am losing mass and getting smaller.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi Twibbly..glad to oblige. I discovered this 3 ingredient mix looking for a cheaper version of Marscapone Italian cheese, which is very bland, and used for sugary desserts.

faux Marscapone- 3/4 C cream cheese, 1/4 C butter, 1-3 tbl heavy cream..let all warm and soften, not melt. Mix well with fork or hand mixer, a whisk won't do much. add 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbl+ lemon juice, stevia or Swerve, or your fave sweetener. You now have one 8 oz cup of cheesecake for ~1100 calories. I keep it all in one flatter cereal bowl, and use a 2 tbl scoop as my "serving" which is ~ 135 calories for 1 oz.

I use fresh berries or frozen and as much sweetener as I like and heat a minute in microwave, or on stove, adding tiny bit of gum can thicken. Once cheesecake is chilled in fridge, Just pour some hot berry sauce onto your serving. Or dip by teaspoonful into the sauce…yum!

I am a lazy cook. I don't portion into tiny bowls, too much time, waste, and cleanup. a scoop works great as a handy measure at same time.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Petri Dish here. I am doing this; I am adding protein and carbs and making them equal to (=) or less than (<) my fat intake. Simple. I read this on one of those low carb math sites that make your head spin and you keep needing to check back to review. ( if a car travels west at 60 miles per hour and the dog gets loose, how long will it take to run away?)

No math is simpler than this. Adding. (Use to teach math. )

Asking Goat is a big mistake. You'll learn. Now we have humor. Cheeze.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi Twibbly..glad to oblige. I discovered this 3 ingredient mix looking for a cheaper version of Marscapone Italian cheese, which is very bland, and used for sugary desserts.

faux Marscapone- 3/4 C cream cheese, 1/4 C butter, 1-3 tbl heavy cream..let all warm and soften, not melt. Mix well with fork or hand mixer, a whisk won't do much. add 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbl+ lemon juice, stevia or Swerve, or your fave sweetener. You now have one 8 oz cup of cheesecake for ~1100 calories. I keep it all in one flatter cereal bowl, and use a 2 tbl scoop as my "serving" which is ~ 135 calories for 1 oz.

I use fresh berries or frozen and as much sweetener as I like and heat a minute in microwave, or on stove, adding tiny bit of gum can thicken. Once cheesecake is chilled in fridge, Just pour some hot berry sauce onto your serving. Or dip by teaspoonful into the sauce…yum!

I am a lazy cook. I don't portion into tiny bowls, too much time, waste, and cleanup. a scoop works great as a handy measure at same time.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the recipe :)
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    You can see my protein is a bit higher than recommended. ;) And, I intentionally try and spread it out over 3-4 meals a day.

Way too high ;)
    My keto coach has me limited to 24g protein on a per meal basis. Everyone is different but that is my limit. Any more and I get raised blood glucose through gluconeogenesis.
    I suggesting cutting the protein down and filling up on fat instead.

This is my setup from the keto calculator
    ---
    *Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 8.5*

43/M/5'8" | CW 196 | 31% BF | Lightly active

* 3027 kcal Goal, a -25% deficit. (641 min, 2421 max)
    * 20g Carbohydrates
    * 72g Protein (82g min, 135g max)
    * 295g Fat (31g min, 228g max)

----

And yes, with 30-40 mins per day of very relaxed resistance exercise with lots of stretching between sets, I'm building some nice muscle! :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have recently decided to track for macros only and nutrients (so I can supplement as needed) and to not stress the calories. I am having success with it! I don't always track anymore, and my intake is all over the place, but I think I eat what I need more this way. Stressing over it makes it worse for me. The key is I am also trying to be more active and not to eat if I am not actually hungry. Mindless snacking can get me! But if I do track for a few weeks and say hey, I ate 2000 calories of snacks , UH, I might wanna check that! I am eating double what MFP recommends and I lost 2# this week! So, I think in the context of a good diet where we are having our needs met the calories will sort themselves out if we are mindful as well to not be gluttons! I used to be a tracker but found it was not serving me anymore (to count calories).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    FXOjafar wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    You can see my protein is a bit higher than recommended. ;) And, I intentionally try and spread it out over 3-4 meals a day.

Way too high ;)
    My keto coach has me limited to 24g protein on a per meal basis. Everyone is different but that is my limit. Any more and I get raised blood glucose through gluconeogenesis.
    I suggesting cutting the protein down and filling up on fat instead.

This is my setup from the keto calculator
    ---
    *Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 8.5*

43/M/5'8" | CW 196 | 31% BF | Lightly active

* 3027 kcal Goal, a -25% deficit. (641 min, 2421 max)
    * 20g Carbohydrates
    * 72g Protein (82g min, 135g max)
    * 295g Fat (31g min, 228g max)

----

And yes, with 30-40 mins per day of very relaxed resistance exercise with lots of stretching between sets, I'm building some nice muscle! :)

You must be new around here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    FXOjafar wrote: »
    Any more and I get raised blood glucose through gluconeogenesis.
    Have you confirmed that you actually experience this or is this an assumption? I recently read that this is an overstated risk. Would love to know if anyone has actually experienced it (perhaps blood glucose readings after high protein vs. a meal with similar carbs and lower protein).

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Quatroux wrote: »
    Would love to know if anyone has actually experienced it (perhaps blood glucose readings after high protein vs. a meal with similar carbs and lower protein).

I assume that the smell of ammonia (breath and/or sweat) is a telltale sign. The only way your body makes ammonia is from protein catabolism.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

My thought exactly.

We have birthdays coming up and I'm trying to decide what to do about serving cake. I think to most guests anything I make will be a catastrophe, while simultaneously tempting me back to the carb side. I may just get a small treat cake for them and make some of those macadamia brownie bombs for myself.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    We have birthdays coming up and I'm trying to decide what to do about serving cake. I think to most guests anything I make will be a catastrophe, while simultaneously tempting me back to the carb side. I may just get a small treat cake for them and make some of those macadamia brownie bombs for myself.

For my birthday, last year, I made a low-carb cake. My wife also bought a real "back-up" cake. A few people, dutifully, tried the low-carb cake, but they all ate the real cake. This year, I won't waste my time or effort. My wife can buy a cake for everyone else, if she feels like it. I'm having a big huge steak.

I would prefer just to have a cookout and not do cake at all. But, my wife thinks that is just me trying to avoid having a birthday party.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We have birthdays coming up and I'm trying to decide what to do about serving cake. I think to most guests anything I make will be a catastrophe .

Low carb cheesecake with or without an almond flour crust is almost always a hit, even w/ my carbivores. Make up a nice low carb strawberry or blueberry topping/drizzle, real whipped cream...good stuff! It may be a slightly higher carb day than usual, but nothing like the sugar hits that traditional cakes are.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options

My thought exactly.

See, I've had absolutely zero problem doing standard baking: brownies with frosting, fudge(mostly my 14yo makes this, about once a month), cookies, whatever... and not eating it. For my birthday, we just didn't have cake, because well... -my- birthday and I didn't want it, lol. But for the husband's birthday saturday, there will be cake. I will just not partake. MY family has gotten used to me saying "no thanks".
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

My thought exactly.

See, I've had absolutely zero problem doing standard baking: brownies with frosting, fudge(mostly my 14yo makes this, about once a month), cookies, whatever... and not eating it. For my birthday, we just didn't have cake, because well... -my- birthday and I didn't want it, lol. But for the husband's birthday saturday, there will be cake. I will just not partake. MY family has gotten used to me saying "no thanks".

The cake is a lie!

Sorry...couldn't resist....
  • glossbones
    Options
    Maybe I'll try the cheesecake, thanks everyone! I don't particularly care (I thought I might just have a strawberry cheesecake bomb and coffee), but my husband's party (our birthdays are less than a month apart) will definitely at least have a traditional cake.

I'd be immensely happy with a steak. I've been wanting a nice rare one since Tuesday's dinner got overcooked... FIT_Goat I can't get the image of your 56-or-whatever ounce steak out of my head...
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'd be immensely happy with a steak. I've been wanting a nice rare one since Tuesday's dinner got overcooked... FIT_Goat I can't get the image of your 56-or-whatever ounce steak out of my head...

I have nothing on this woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESCB_-8L994

Two... 72 oz steaks in like 15 minutes. That's 9 pounds of just meat. Plus a bunch of sides (but who needs those).
  • glossbones
    Options
    so a seven-layer steak cake... buttercream frosting?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    so a seven-layer steak cake... buttercream frosting?

Only if "buttercream frosting" is code for slices of butter held in place by unsweetened whipped heavy cream. ;)
  • glossbones
    Options
    sounds good to me!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My godmother had an awesome cheese cake: literally layers of different round cheeses on top of each other, getting smaller as they pile up. I'm not describing it well, but it looked fantastic.