Organic and Grass-fed foods

Options
There is no way we can afford to buy organic and Grass-fed meats, I have a family of 4 and 5 people to feed during the week. I wish I could but it is not in the budget. Can I still do paleo and primal without using organic/grass-fed meets?

Replies

• shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I couldn't afford it either. I found that when I quit buying the processed foods and snack items, that I could afford the extra cost on the organic friuts, vegetables and grass fed meats. I was very happy because my budget did not change on a weekly basis. I did spend a little money up front buying the spices and oils for cooking but that's it! Try it and see how it works out for you, enjoy!
  • angelnorgaard
    angelnorgaard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I understand what your saying, I too feed 5+ 2 step kids when they are here ( 4 teenage boys & the hubby, make for a lot of food). I am the only one who eats primal 80-90% of the time. I buy what I can afford. And do well with it, I will not break the bank just to have organic and grass fed. One thing you could try is growing your own veggies might help save $ depending on the climate you live in. Friend request sent.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    shellylb52 wrote: »
    I used to think that I couldn't afford it either. I found that when I quit buying the processed foods and snack items, that I could afford the extra cost on the organic friuts, vegetables and grass fed meats. I was very happy because my budget did not change on a weekly basis. I did spend a little money up front buying the spices and oils for cooking but that's it! Try it and see how it works out for you, enjoy!

This. It's about choice. And networking and research. Get to know your local farmers (assuming you live in an area where agriculture occurs). Not all produce has to be organic -that's where research comes in. As for animal foods, quality is of UTMOST importance.

I actually spend less money on groceries that I did before Paleo and I live in the Arctic and fly most of my food in. It took awhile to find a supplier for free ranged meats but I did find one. I never gave up. I eat wild meats when I can get them too. I also didn't need all the fancy ingredients to make Paleo substitutes but I fell into that for awhile. That's where things get unnecessarily expensive.

Being sick is expensive too. There are often lots of ways to save money and not skimp on good quality animals and plants. You also don't need the most expensive cuts either.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ignore the prices in your typical grocery store. They're going to jacked up artificially. Instead, find farmers and farmers markets.

If you're in the continental US, then I can pretty much guarantee you have farms within an hour or two of you. You can check out http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html to get started.

Farms and farmer's markets will have higher quality and lower prices for food in general, but it does require a little extra legwork. It's more than worth it, in my opinion.

I you still can't do that, though, no one's going to take away your Paleo card. Paleo is as much about the mindset as it is about the specifics of the food you buy. Buy the best you can for right now, and keep on the lookout for ways to improve.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think the cost of organic meats exorbitant and not sustainable. I get high quality beef products from a butcher, we raise free range chicken & quail but only eat them if they have bad temperaments or are hit by car. The eggs, though, ahhh ... you have never had a nutritious egg until you go free range. Wild game is great for hunters.

There is a balance for me between organic and non organic.

Environmental Working Group

http:/ewg.org/foodscores/products/722648715640-SuperiorPittedDates

This website helps you evaluate processed food products that might be fine or shock you with the ingredients. On their home page is a chart of 15 best produce items and the dirty dozen. Soft produce is often more difficult to grow and susceptible to pesticides. The dirty dozen should probably be organic.

Sometimes it's hard to know what to eat.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can still do it. However I completely agree with what has already been said that it's worth doing some extra research into farm CSA's, cowshares, online prices, etc. Get cheaper cuts and put in the slow cooker. If you see grassfed on sale at the market stock up...many times my local natural food store will reduce the price greatly on local grassfed ground beef because they have an overabundance, then throw it in the freezer.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Look at my budget thread here!! Lots of great ideas! But I am a "foodie" now for great quality meats because to me I can't go back! I do make bargains where I can...like I bought grassfed beef that wasn't from my local vendors so I could make jerky or meatloaf muffins where the taste isn't as important. I save the stuff I have become dependent on for just plain meat and a veg meals. Go to farm markets, network. Stop at farmstands and ask what they do and what they have when people are there (fruit and veg stands often do other things). I "know" several now that I can look into options for a half cow or half pig for cost. I also "know" some farmers that I buy out of fruits to freeze like currants and berries for cheap in season. Save all your vegetable and bone scraps in the freezer for broth. Make soups and stews. It CAN be done!

BUT If you are really, really strapped for money, what I would do is buy all you can from the markdowns at farm markets, Aldi's, the "Specials" that are about to expire at the grocery store, and use the $1 bags of frozen veggies. For meats get the highest quality you can. Use seafood. Thee are cheap seafoods that are wild caught. Tuna. I recently found a coupon for organic canned chicken I plan to make Buffalo Chicken salad out of. LOOK, Shop, look at coupons, go online for coupons, look at local store specials, Wholesale clubs, etc. And see what everyone said to me in "Budget Help"
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I could afford it either, but found ways to make it work. I only buy the "dirtiest" ( heavy pesticide use when produced) produce as organic. Does that make sense ? Apples, celery and kale for instance are likely to have been treated with more chemicals than avocados and onions.

But if cost is an issue, I'd aim to have my meat grass fed and pastured, and choose to buy conventional produce and wash it well. The reason is that animals raised conventionally will likely be exposed to many different sources of toxins, from genetically modified and pesticide laden feed, to various drugs and chemicals used when raising them. Cows eat a lot of feed before we eat them. You are what you eat, but you are also what your animals eat.

I chose my farmers since I know the cows only eat grass etc on the land that the farmers care for in a sustainable way, and the grass has not come in contact with any chemicals. The cows have not been ingesting grains, especially inferior grains. They are eating what they are meant to eat, grass and not corn, so as a result, the composition of their flesh is much healthier. The ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids is mush lower in grass fed animals, thereby making it healthier for us to eat. I know this will help me guard against weight gain and it will keep me healthy. The other animals I purchase from the farmers are chickens, turkeys, and pigs that, although they do eat grains, they are organic grains (not corn), and the animals also forage for other wild tidbits. I trust the way my farmers care for their land and their animal and me, so I believe I am getting the best I can, and that it is worth the price.

Buying in bulk helps a lot with the cost. But if cost is still an issue, I believe that Mark Sisson taught me somewhere on his site, that conventional beef has the least amount of toxins found in the meat when compared to poultry for instance. I personally would never buy conventionally raised meat again, but if I had to chose for some reason, I would buy pastured poultry and buy conventional beef.

Also important to note is the quality and taste of the organic grass fed and pastured meat compared to conventional meat. The pork I get from the farm is from heritage breeds of pigs and the meat is much fattier and richer in flavour that regular white fleshed pork, this pork is deeper in colour and the flavour is amazing. Pastured chickens have a completely different texture than the conventionally raised fluffy styrofoam textured chickens you get in a regular grocery store. Pastured chickens have a firmer texture and actually have legs on them that they actually got to use ! They taste real to me.

Maybe less of a better protein would be better than a larger amount of conventionally raised meat ? Just an idea.

Oh and one of my favorite reasons for getting organic meat right from the farm...I get free bones for bone broth, free feet and organs, and other parts I won't mention here. I use them all, including rendering my own tallow and lard. It has greatly enriched our relationship with food in my house, and I won't go back.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^Terrific post, Kitnthecat! I completely agree. Contaminants bioaccumulate in the animals we eat so it is absolutely essential to get the best meat one can afford. The veggies are less critical but buying organic for the "dirty dozen" is a good idea.

Your observations on the free ranged pork and chicken is the same as what I've noticed. The pork is richer, fattier, more delicious. The chicken firmer which obviously makes sense when those chickens actually got to move around during their life. At first I didn't like the texture because it was different, but I quickly changed my mind. The food is definitely more "real" and far more nourishing.

• KombuchaCat
    Options
    ^^^Totally agree! If I had to start making cuts in my budget I'd start with the produce first.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Thanks Akimajuktuk and KomuchaCat. I forgot one thing I should mention. Toxins accumulate and are stored in the animal's fat. So it's important to remember, if eating conventionally raised meat that has been exposed to who knows what....that you should not eat the fat from that meat. Eating just the lean meat will be healthier for you. But on the other hand, grass fed and pastured meat that has been raised organically, has wonderful delicious fat that is very good for you to eat.
  • Dragonwolf
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Thanks Akimajuktuk and KomuchaCat. I forgot one thing I should mention. Toxins accumulate and are stored in the animal's fat. So it's important to remember, if eating conventionally raised meat that has been exposed to who knows what....that you should not eat the fat from that meat. Eating just the lean meat will be healthier for you. But on the other hand, grass fed and pastured meat that has been raised organically, has wonderful delicious fat that is very good for you to eat.

I think this is a distinction that "classical Paleo" (ie - Cordain's paleo) should have made clearer, especially when Cordain changed his stance on saturated fat (though it seems he still thinks it's bad, just not "as bad" on Paleo as on SAD? I don't know, I'm not particularly a fan of his version). One of the big misconceptions about Paleo is that you can only eat lean meats, and that's not really the case (especially anymore), but most of the contemporary big Paleo names say to trim the fat if you're getting conventional, and add fat in other ways, because of the toxin issue, but if you get organic/pastured, don't worry about trimming the fat.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Yes, exactly Dragonwolf. And not only is it better for you...... it's delicious ! I was always one to trim all the fat pre-paleo/primal, so it was very funny to me to experience pastured pork for the first time. I made a pork roast, and it was the fattiest roast I had ever seen. But then I tasted it ! I was about to serve it up to my kids, and while slicing it up....it didn't even make it to the table before I started ripping pieces of it and stuffing it into my mouth. I've never tasted fat so tasty ! It makes me happy.......
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Overlapping what a few people have said above-

By getting to know some of the farmers in my area, I learned that some of them haven't bothered with the trouble or expense of becoming "certified organic", but use practices that meet or exceed 'organic' standards. Their product is usually much more affordable than grocery store organic.
  • incognitocity
    incognitocity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    its worth the extra time it takes to map out your routine to find these products, buy in bulk and freeze

for what its worth

at whole foods NYC where i shop:

1lb grassfed 85/15 organic ground beef is 8.50 its prepacked by Simply Nature Organic, just grassfed meat, no extras, i buy 3 packs and freeze since it has an expiration date, and its always available there. i found it bc i asked, i never would have otherwise

if you go to the meat counter, the regular ground beef, not grassfed or organic is 13.99 a lb. i want to kick myself for those years i spent buying that.

• Kitnthecat
    Options
    It's very interesting to me now, that before I went primal, I never noticed all the alternative type food sources I had right under my nose. It was if a secret world opened up to me. I now have several places where I live ( not including farmer's markets) where I can get grass fed and pastured meat if I needed it. Or places where I can get something different than what my farmers' sell.....like bison or elk, or filler and nitrate free deli meats. You just don't know until you start looking and asking questions. Then you get to know your prices and can comparison shop and get the best deal.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Scudder76 wrote: »

By getting to know some of the farmers in my area, I learned that some of them haven't bothered with the trouble or expense of becoming "certified organic", but use practices that meet or exceed 'organic' standards. Their product is usually much more affordable than grocery store organic.

"Organic" can isn't clear on how much pasture they might have had, or not had, and it can just mean they were fed organic grains. Absolutely local is the best bet where one can actually visit the farm.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I think this is a distinction that "classical Paleo" (ie - Cordain's paleo) should have made clearer, especially when Cordain changed his stance on saturated fat (though it seems he still thinks it's bad, just not "as bad" on Paleo as on SAD? I don't know, I'm not particularly a fan of his version). One of the big misconceptions about Paleo is that you can only eat lean meats, and that's not really the case (especially anymore), but most of the contemporary big Paleo names say to trim the fat if you're getting conventional, and add fat in other ways, because of the toxin issue, but if you get organic/pastured, don't worry about trimming the fat.

The fat on conventionally raised animals is so tough and rancid who wants to eat it anyway? I think this is why my version of Paleo is always going to lean more toward WAPF than the original Cordain "branded" Paleo. We need saturated fat from healthy creature foods. And raw dairy...which would be a great thing to supplement your healthy Paleo diet with if you can't afford pastured meats at every meal, also assuming you have access to it and it's not illegal in your state. Obviously if your body doesn't get along with dairy it's out, but for me personally dairy and I are BFF's so raw milk will be pryed from my cold dead hands :smiley:
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    Scudder76 wrote: »

"Organic" can isn't clear on how much pasture they might have had, or not had, and it can just mean they were fed organic grains. Absolutely local is the best bet where one can actually visit the farm.

So true!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The fat on conventionally raised animals is so tough and rancid who wants to eat it anyway? I think this is why my version of Paleo is always going to lean more toward WAPF than the original Cordain "branded" Paleo. We need saturated fat from healthy creature foods. And raw dairy...which would be a great thing to supplement your healthy Paleo diet with if you can't afford pastured meats at every meal, also assuming you have access to it and it's not illegal in your state. Obviously if your body doesn't get along with dairy it's out, but for me personally dairy and I are BFF's so raw milk will be pryed from my cold dead hands :smiley:

I <3 raw milk, but unfortunately, I'm in a state where it's not only illegal, but draconically so (seriously, the farmers can't even sell it, if they do, the USDA comes in and spoils their entire stock in addition to fining them into the ground; even herdshares are walking a fine line). My mom lives in the next state over, though, where it is legal, so I get a nice treat when I go visit her. :)

We don't drink much milk in my house, though. My son's lactose intolerant and my husband might be, too, and I keep both my sugar and my whey intake down (hyperinsulinemia), so that cuts out fluid milk anyway. Cheese is a different matter, though. >:)