Question about nuts

Options

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    DittoDan the Man...very helpful chart! Thank you!

I used to snack on raw almonds (one serving) before going on the keto diet. Now I find I'm searching for higher fat bomb type snacks instead to fill in THOSE gaps.
    I do make a nice chicken salad with rosemary marcona almonds, but the amount that goes into it is 1/4 cup (69g) for the whole 4-serving recipe. Recipe also includes celery. Net carbs per serving of the chicken salad ends up being... 2g. I can live with that. :)

Sometimes I sautee some cabbage to go with pork chops, too, and I throw a half a serving (7g) of slivered almonds into the skillet with that. Again, the net carbs are still within budget.

Keeping in mind that the rest of my food is only incidental carbs from a serving of broccoli or spinach (for the most part), that still leaves me with wiggle room and I don't usually have a hard time anymore keeping under 16g net carbs per day.
    Unless chocolate happens. >_>

-T.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    spush wrote: »
    I snack on Brazil nuts , they're quite cheap at the market and work out quite lowish carb wise.

I think you need to be careful eating a lot of Brazil nuts on a regular basis. My understanding is that over-consumption may lead to selenium toxicity.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2007/06/25/how-dangerous-i/
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple just did two reviews, one on nuts, the other on seeds. I found them of interest since I consume roughly 1/3 cup of various types of nuts and seeds when I have my medium carb breakfast about 3 times per week. (Other ingredients include Greek yogurt, cream cheese , coconut oil & blue berries; 16 g total carbs, 6 g fiber, 37 g fat, 18 g protein.)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-seeds/#more-54766
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-nuts/#axzz3VUc30X72

I think I've finally finished all the links which looked interesting but I haven't finished digesting them yet. Upon further review I think I may add some nuts which I have not been consuming recently and modify my weekly consumption mix a bit. I want to start building up a bit of muscle but at age 68 with T2 plus cholesterol, kidney and arthritis concerns it's a little trickier than it used to be. This getting old stuff isn't for sissies.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    shai74 wrote: »
    People who say "nuts are a good low carb snack" are not wrong, if you eat a serve, which is about 8 or 9 nuts (1 oz). Who does that? I avoid them altogether. A small handful of nuts can have 5+ carbs, and oh so many calories. Not worth it.

I do that.... I weigh out 30 grams and eat them.... A satisfying snack.

Especially when paired with cheese or another balanced snack to double the satisfied whammy effect.

Knit,

I wonder if I used Cream Cheese to dip my almonds in ~ would taste good? hmmmmm...I'll have to try that.... and maybe dip some pecans.....

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    23 Studies on LCHF vs LFHC

P.S. If anyone wants my (9) food group Excel spreadsheet, just message me with your e-mail address.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I wonder if I used Cream Cheese to dip my almonds in ~ would taste good? hmmmmm...I'll have to try that.... and maybe dip some pecans.....

Crush 'em up and mix 'em in, you've seen the Keto Cake Pops, right?
  • DittoDan
    edited March 2015
    Options

Crush 'em up and mix 'em in, you've seen the Keto Cake Pops, right?

no....ima googlin' (unless you happen to have a good recipe handy or a link?)

Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Chocolate Covered Strawberry Fat Bombs
    Bacon Wrapped Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken
  • Teneko
    Options

I really like to take raw almond butter (nothing but ground almonds) and mix it with cream cheese. This reminds me of when I was little and my mom made cheese balls for New Year's Eve parties.
    It's also good stuffed in celery, and is good with plain mascarpone cheese instead of cream cheese as well.

-T.
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    spush wrote: »
    I snack on Brazil nuts , they're quite cheap at the market and work out quite lowish carb wise.

I think you need to be careful eating a lot of Brazil nuts on a regular basis. My understanding is that over-consumption may lead to selenium toxicity.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2007/06/25/how-dangerous-i/

Thanks, that's interesting
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    That recipe looks wonderful @octobubbles thank you so much!
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    People who say "nuts are a good low carb snack" are not wrong, if you eat a serve, which is about 8 or 9 nuts (1 oz). Who does that? I avoid them altogether. A small handful of nuts can have 5+ carbs, and oh so many calories. Not worth it.

I used to be a nut nut as well but found them way too calorie dense to fit into my goal calorie intake. That being said I still enjoy the occassinal tablespoon of peanut butter with some celery.

• DittoDan
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »

I really like to take raw almond butter (nothing but ground almonds) and mix it with cream cheese. This reminds me of when I was little and my mom made cheese balls for New Year's Eve parties.
    It's also good stuffed in celery, and is good with plain mascarpone cheese instead of cream cheese as well.

-T.

T,

I tried that today (on celery), very good.... :) Thank You!
    More Emoticons
    Keto Constipation & Psyllium Husks
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As I read this ^ my wife has the makings for her peanut butter eggs set out. She will mix up the filling and form it into balls to chill overnight and then dip into melted chocolate and refrigerate again to harden. I haven't thought about them since last Easter and I'm reviewing the ingredients. Four packages of cream cheese, check. Two small jars peanut butter, Jiff instead of my usual brand but maybe for a special treat. Vanilla, OK just a bit to bring out the flavor of the chocolate. Two pounds of powdered sugar! I think we've hit a deal breaker. I've ended my relationship with sugar and artificial sweeteners and inviting them back in association with a family dinner and wine is not a good idea. I desperately need to review all the fat bomb recipes involving peanut butter or almond butter and cocoa powder.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Here is my spreadsheet of nuts: (source of info CalorieKing)

k4fi0skdaw9q.jpg

afyb1lkb5n9j.jpg

I hope this helps,

My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)

Oh man, I have been eating sunflower seed kernels. The bag I have says 1 net carb (4 total) for a 1/4 cup. I hope this bag is right and not the chart. I hope the bag is right. Thanks for posting the chart. It is really helpful

I think nuts are an ok snack. I can't have them all the time, because I mindlessly eat them. I continue to eat them even when I am not hungry. That is just me though. I do enjoy them for an once in awhile snack though, just to have something different. Some people prefer to have nuts that have the shells on them, because they take longer to eat and you are less likely to over eat them. When I have nuts I have to take a handful and put the bag away. I can't sit with the bag in front of me or before I know it half the bag is gone.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm pretty sure it appeared in another thread around here (When I find a good recipe I just store it on my phone since it's so hard to search here, and our tangents don't always make it easy to remember where something was posted...)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I have been eating sunflower seed kernels. The bag I have says 1 net carb (4 total) for a 1/4 cup. I hope this bag is right and not the chart. I hope the bag is right.

How many grams?

• kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    28 Kirkor
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to keep your nut intake in check if you go with the unsalted versions. If we take a page from the paleo world you'll find that salt and sugar are known to upset our body's natural appetite management. If you eat a handful of salted nuts you'll want more because of the salt. Whereas a handful of unsalted nuts will usually hit the satiety point without feeling like you want more.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    +1. Salted nuts are like popcorn for me. Unsalted, no problem.
  • Teneko
    Options
    I tried that today (on celery), very good.... :) Thank You!

Yay! I'm so glad to hear somebody liked it!
    I was thinking that in keeping with the "cheese ball" inspiration that the cream cheese + almond butter would be even more awesome with a dash of tabasco sauce or maybe horseradish.
    HMMMM...*plots*

-T.