Question about nuts

Options
DonPendergraft
DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
I will be starting this program before too long, but I have a question now regarding nuts. If I've met goal of where I need to be in terms of protein and carbs, I understand that it's OK to eat fat to satiety. Almonds for example have been suggested. But when I look on the nutrition label for raw almonds, 23 almonds gives me 6 grams of carb. I can see how sitting there with a bag of almonds would end up giving me way to many carbs. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Some nuts have more carbs than others. Macadamia nuts are generally well regarded.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You're looking at it correctly. Nuts are very easy to over-indulge in. The carbs can add up fast. Plus, I find them incredibly unsatisfying and eat way too many of them without realizing it.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, if you are trying to control carbs and/or calories you should portion out nuts and not eat out of the bag. I have pretty much cut out nuts for the most part for the past month as I was eating too many of them. I agree macadamia nuts have the best macros. Pecans are pretty good too. Almonds and peanuts are ok in controlled portions, but yes, they all do have carbs.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think I could live happily on macadamia nuts and bacon.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Almonds are good grab and go food, but they have too many carbs for daily use. Macadamia nuts are probably best macro wise, but are expensive
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Everyone chooses how to spend their carbs, but they're going to come from somewhere. If you look at net carbs (fiber subtracted from carbs in the US, just carbs in the rest of the world), you aren't actually getting all that much from your vegetables, provided you're not gorging on squash and sweet potatoes all day. What's left is up to you, yogurt or nuts or fruit. Depending how much you have to work with, maybe two, but not all three. If you're not keto, you probably do have room for all 3.

Also, eaten one at a time instead of a palmfull at a time, 23 almonds may be more filling than it appears.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One ounce of walnuts.... 200 caloies, 4 carbs 2 fiber 5 protein 20 fats...
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    People who say "nuts are a good low carb snack" are not wrong, if you eat a serve, which is about 8 or 9 nuts (1 oz). Who does that? I avoid them altogether. A small handful of nuts can have 5+ carbs, and oh so many calories. Not worth it.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    People who say "nuts are a good low carb snack" are not wrong, if you eat a serve, which is about 8 or 9 nuts (1 oz). Who does that? I avoid them altogether. A small handful of nuts can have 5+ carbs, and oh so many calories. Not worth it.

I do that.... I weigh out 30 grams and eat them.... A satisfying snack.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I just grabbed a handful of peanuts (and ate them). For science, I counted them. 24 peanuts. I had been logging them as "one serving" which is 35 nuts. I was too conservative. So I ate another handful. :)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'd question one serving as being 35 nuts. If we're talking science I mean. Are they large nuts? Small? Varying sizes? I'd weigh them.
  • wabmester
    Options
    OK, I'll plot the size distribution next time I'm hungry. Maybe I can get it published.

00953679-41.2.cover.jpg
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I had been logging them as "one serving" [. . .] too conservative. So I ate another handful.

LMAO... that's the right attitude. :smiley:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Here is my spreadsheet of nuts: (source of info CalorieKing)

k4fi0skdaw9q.jpg

afyb1lkb5n9j.jpg

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Nice chart, Dan!
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i love nuts and find that an ounce of macademia or almonds is a great on the go snack. however, i weigh them out and put them in a baggie, so i know for sure i am only eating an ounce. if i just snack on them without restraint, i end up eating trillions.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    so according to Dans chart, almonds have 2 net g of carbs per oz?

Good becuase that's the way I've been counting them. Using Net carbs.

Chestnuts are the ones that kill me. I love roasted chestnuts ...
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I snack on Brazil nuts , they're quite cheap at the market and work out quite lowish carb wise.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »

I do that.... I weigh out 30 grams and eat them.... A satisfying snack.

Especially when paired with cheese or another balanced snack to double the satisfied whammy effect.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Nice chart, Dan!

DITTO to ditto man! very helpful :)