I think I went too low carb

Options
LunaKate
LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I feel like for me personally I need some carbs in my diet. The first 2 weeks went really well and I was happy and ate about 20g carbs a day. Then I basically started avoiding carbs so much I was having less than 10g a day and only eating meat and cheese. This has made me soooo bored. I tried to research recipes but it still all seemed like the same thing over and over. I have become so bored with food that I have not been bothering to fill out my food diary. Even when I was hungry I didnt want to eat. So I have decided to up my carbs. I want to make sure I eat 30g a day at least but not go over 40g, and have a little at each meal. I hope I am able to stay in keto with this many carbs and not feel so restricted in what I am allowed to eat.

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    We each know our own bodies and minds LunaKate. If you're not happy, then changing it up is a great move. I'm sure you will find what's right for you very soon.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Food boredom is my brain trying to convince my body that it needs donuts.... For you I would ask do you count total carbs or net carbs? Yesterday my net carbs was 11 ... My total carbs was 38. Maybe try total carbs would be a better bet.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with 30-40 g carb/day if that is sustainable for you. For the vast majority of people that is still ketogenic, if that is your goal. There does seem to be a bit of a sentiment lately that you aren't doing "real" keto unless your carbs are 20 g or under, but that's not what Phinney and Volek say is necessary for most people. The most important thing is finding a low carb level that works for you and is sustainable long term. I hope you have found it!
  • LunaKate
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I usually only count net carbs but the way I was eating even total was less than 10g. I was having my coffee w/cream for breakfast. Eggs and butter, or some bacon/deli meat and a piece of cheese for lunch. And for dinner I was usually just having a meat, maybe with some cheese. I didnt even bother with a veggie most the time. As I add more carbs I will be sure to watch total as well as net. Im sure even 40g total would help me :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has their own carb tolerance level, above which they start experiencing reduced effectiveness of this way of eating or other negative side-effects. I don't think it's anyone's place but the person living in that body to experiment and find the right level for themselves. If you are happier and more successful at 40g than you would be at < 10g. Then eat 40g. I've said it multiple times, "There's no medal given out for having the lowest carb goal."

And, as it was pointed out, it's very possible you can still be in keto at that level. So, why torture yourself, if you don't have to?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I saw a blog post one time, about a woman who experimented with a pretty much zero carb diet for health reasons. She was having all kinds of health issues before she started it. She found that she got better on a diet of soured raw milk and raw beef, but she also found that she was basically apathetic. So, she increased her carb intake (with glucose, of all things, but that seemed to matter for her), and the apathy went away.

It's a pretty good (and short) read -- http://theprimalparent.com/2011/07/27/the-carnivores-dilemma-a-diet-of-just-meats-and-fats/

Everyone's got to figure out what works for them. It sounds like your issue was a lot more mental and you may have been going down a path of disordered eating ("basically started avoiding carbs so much..."), so it's good you recognized that that setup doesn't work for you. (I would contend that such a way of eating doesn't have to be boring, since you can add all kinds of fatty sauces and spices and play with different cuts and preparations, but none of that matters if your mental state is starting to become disordered.)
    There does seem to be a bit of a sentiment lately that you aren't doing "real" keto unless your carbs are 20 g or under, but that's not what Phinney and Volek say is necessary for most people.

I've also noticed an influx of "I was doing 40g of carbs before, but now I'm doing 15-20g to get into ketosis." I'm just like, "uh...what? Did I miss the memo that 20-50g isn't still keto?"
    Eggs and butter, or some bacon/deli meat and a piece of cheese for lunch. And for dinner I was usually just having a meat, maybe with some cheese. I didnt even bother with a veggie most the time.

That's actually largely what I do, except I found that two meals make things so much easier. Then sometimes, I'll basically binge on broccoli or salad (I kid you not -- I'll polish off one of those four-serving bags of frozen broccoli, or a large salad with a bunch of veggies and some meat that's supposed to serve at least two, on my own). The cyclical thing seems to work for me.
  • LunaKate
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    And, as it was pointed out, it's very possible you can still be in keto at that level. So, why torture yourself, if you don't have to?

This is just what I was thinking. I do make sure I have lots of variety in my meats, and I really enjoy them, but for some reason it became tedious for me. I enjoyed my hot dog for lunch so much more with that half a bun. It felt more like a meal then when I ate just the hotdog with a condiment. Also carrots are one of my favorite veggies but I was avoiding them because I read they are higher in carbs. I checked the package and its only 8g per serving. Surely I can fit that into my day.

I was actually feeling guilty and like I was cheating when I was 'giving in' to my carb cravings and having a low carb wrap to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I now realize just how silly that is.

Its just my personal preference. It makes me happier to include more carbs, I can go lower, I did for 3 weeks, but I find it too confining for me. Thank you all for understanding and being so supportive!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Watch the deli meat as it can have sugar added and cheese is the tie that binds.

I just finished a salad of Romaine, (2 cups) diced chicken from the roaster I buy , two tbs. of Cedars Tabouli salad and a quarter avacado. Topped the delicious mess with 3 tbs of Maries Chunky blue cheese dressing. Great second act to 4 pieces of nitrite free bacon and coffee avec cream.

Salad can be very inventive and imaginative and making homemade dressings rich and carb free.
    Try Cobb Salad with your leftover ( as if ) bacon.

Me? best to be under 20 carbs in order to get this train to the station.
  • LunaKate
    Options
    Yes, I am always careful to check the carbs on the label of deli meat, they add sugar to almost all them! Its so annoying! That does sound really good, I do love salads but I dont like to have them every day. I like hot food better than cold food, especially in the winter!
  • LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I believe I've had luck staying in ketosis at the 30-40 range, the weight is still coming off at least! I'm with you, 20 a day is just not sustainable for me personally, I like food too much and really enjoy eating it. At 20 it was just a tedious chore.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My only advise would be to up your carb intake by 5 a little at a time until you reach the carb level you are comfortable with. You might find you are comfortable at 20 or you might be more comfortable with more. Since this is a way of life and not just a temporary diet, you have to find what you are able and willing to stick with for life. Everyone has a difference tolerance level to carbs, before they stop losing weight, so up it little by little to find yours and you will do great. Good luck!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Excellent responses! No, there are no "keto points" or a trophy for who can live on fewest carbs. :mrgreen: It's all about personal health and sustainability.

LunaKate, if 30-40g makes you happy, that is awesome. I've done that level. It DOES provide more variety. That is where I'd like to eventually settle myself at maintenance except maybe do 50g net as a ceiling, but I do actually do a little better weightloss-wise at 20 or less.

Life is a BIG n=1. Nothing wrong with finding your perfect formula. :smile:
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I love all the support in this thread. Really shows how awesome this group is. <3 you all!
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post on this very topic!

So, in the beginning I ate about 20-25g carbs/day since Jan. 2nd, 2015. I lost about 24lb. since then. However, I have been having insomnia (a lot- have to take ambien), and in the last 10 days got hit with crazy fatigue- like crazy exhaustion. When I do sleep, I am not refreshed- the fatigue hits about three hours after waking up. I supplement sodium, magnesium, potassium, multi-Bs, vitamin D, fish oil. My weight loss also stalled in the last month- thinking it is from lack of sleep- the whole cortisol thing?

I have read that people can get adrenal fatigue on this WOE- or at least expose an underlying hormonal disorder like hypothyroid etc. Not sure if this is a legit thing. I also read that a ketogenic diet may not be good for people with pre-existing mood disorders (I have had depression and anxiety over the years). I am thinking that it was too low carb and I stopped making enough serotonin (from too low carbs) to keep my brain working right, and the fatigue and body aches could be depression . My mood is OK, but I am physically exhausted.

I have since (two days ago) added two slices of whole wheat bread/day (adding 32g carb/day). I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow to try and figure this out. I do not want to quit, but something has to give. Hopefully I wont gain a bunch of weight and I can find the sweet spot and continue to lose at least a pound every two weeks. Heck, 1lb a month is fine as long as I can keep the weight off and feel better.

Interested in your opinions. What tests should I ask the doctor about? I am hoping that I can still lose weight on 60- 100g carbs/day. If she tells me to go off the diet completely I will be really upset.

-Dawlfin
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    dawlfin, good article for you here:
    http://chriskresser.com/ask-the-rd-adrenal-fatigue-2

FWIW, it sounds like you're doing the right thing -- raise your carbs to 50-100g/d.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

FWIW, it sounds like you're doing the right thing -- raise your carbs to 50-100g/d.

Thanks Wab. I will check it out.

-Dawlfin
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What many LC Dieters tend to do when cutting carbs is upping their protein way too high (eating lots of meat and cheese). The better formula is to keep your carbs in check (everyone has a unique level that's right for them), eat sufficient protein for your current LBM (Lean Body Mass), and fill out the balance of your caloric requirements with healthy fats.

Any yes, this is the premise of a keto diet (or achieving nutritional ketosis). It's my opinion that many Low Carb dieters are people who just haven't yet "graduated" to the higher level understanding that will eventually bring you to the keto WOE.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    8btfvvrtfjuc.png

Protein way too high? This does not compute.

{had approx. 256g of protein yesterday... wonder if that counts. Nah... it would need to be higher than that}

Edit: And I've graduated out of keto. Been there, done that. I think keto is fine. Some people do well on it. Do I think it's necessarily the "right" way to low carb? No. Do I think it's a "higher level" of low carb? Nope. It's just one approach to it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Jimmy has a response to that -- http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/7-lingering-myths-everyone-should-know-about-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/23384

@dawlfin318‌ - I took a look at your diary, and I think part of your problem might be not eating enough in general (see also - the LLVLC link I posted, above). You don't seem to be logging lately, so I jumped back to the middle of February. You were 400-800 calories under target every day I looked at, and often even upwards of 300-500 under your base target of 1,500.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think the first study I ever looked at wrt LCHF showed increased cortisol levels with LCHF vs a more moderate low-carb diet at the same level of calories. Increasing calories should help, but so should increasing carbs.