I think I went too low carb

Options

Replies

• SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    8btfvvrtfjuc.png

Protein way too high? This does not compute.

{had approx. 256g of protein yesterday... wonder if that counts. Nah... it would need to be higher than that}

Edit: And I've graduated out of keto. Been there, done that. I think keto is fine. Some people do well on it. Do I think it's necessarily the "right" way to low carb? No. Do I think it's a "higher level" of low carb? Nope. It's just one approach to it.

Do you actually track your blood ketone level? Probably not. The "low carb'ing" that you believe to be effective is actually getting undermined by excessive levels of protein. If your true goal is to lose weight (a lot of weight) then over-eating protein sabotages any LC diet.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    SnowFlinga wrote: »
    Do you actually track your blood ketone level? Probably not. The "low carb'ing" that you believe to be effective is actually getting undermined by excessive levels of protein. If your true goal is to lose weight (a lot of weight) then over-eating protein sabotages any LC diet.

Not necessarily: http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SnowFlinga wrote: »
    8btfvvrtfjuc.png

Protein way too high? This does not compute.

{had approx. 256g of protein yesterday... wonder if that counts. Nah... it would need to be higher than that}

Edit: And I've graduated out of keto. Been there, done that. I think keto is fine. Some people do well on it. Do I think it's necessarily the "right" way to low carb? No. Do I think it's a "higher level" of low carb? Nope. It's just one approach to it.

Do you actually track your blood ketone level? Probably not. The "low carb'ing" that you believe to be effective is actually getting undermined by excessive levels of protein.

As a matter of fact, I have tracked my blood ketones when eating 200g+ of protein a day. And, yes, they remained solidly above the 0.5 cutoff for ketosis (I think the lowest was 0.7). I stopped bothering because nutritional ketosis isn't my primary goal. It's a secondary effect that I am unconcerned about. So, why waste money testing for it?

Like I said, I graduated from keto. I'm done with that. The excess-protein claims are unfounded anyway. Maybe "reduced" level of ketosis, but not "kicked out of ketosis." The beneficial effects of higher protein may even offset the reduced benefits of higher levels of ketotis. I am skeptical that the level of ketosis itself is related to the rate of weight lost anyway.
    If your true goal is to lose weight (a lot of weight) then over-eating protein sabotages any LC diet.

Can you find one single well conducted study that shows "over-eating protein sabotages any low carb diet"? Or is this just a hypothesis you happen to hold? It's an awfully bold claim to make. Especially with that word "any" and the vague description "over-eating."

Edit: I guess it's good I already lost a lot of weight--eating keto for most of it but way over protein the entire time, even when keto--and only have a little to go (if any, since I consider myself at maintenance). It would be a shame to find out that all my previous weight losses didn't actually happen because I over-ate protein the entire time. ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    http://caloriesproper.com/dietary-protein-ketosis-and-appetite-control/

This is also a very good review of the actual science regarding ketones and protein. None of it deals with levels like I have experienced. But, I did repeatedly test 0.7 and higher eating 150+g daily. And even that high at over 200g spread over a day. I think the point about reduced level of ketosis likely coming more from increased calories is valid. But, the studies still show that carb restriction is the most important.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wasn't going to mention it, but since you brought up his blog -- his latest blog post also pertains to this thread:
    http://caloriesproper.com/carbs-low-vs-lower/

.... what about low carb vs. lower carb?

Apparently, it doesn’t matter
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I wasn't going to mention it, but since you brought up his blog -- his latest blog post also pertains to this thread:

LOL, I say this all the time when people think going to zero-carb is going to make some massive difference in their results. I think consistency and patience is the most important. And, some people do just fine on non-keto levels of carbs.

Thanks for pointing this out. People should know that "keto" is not necessarily more advanced or better than "non-keto."
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

LOL, I say this all the time when people think going to zero-carb is going to make some massive difference in their results. I think consistency and patience is the most important. And, some people do just fine on non-keto levels of carbs.

Thanks for pointing this out. People should know that "keto" is not necessarily more advanced or better than "non-keto."

For me, it's entirely about hunger signals. On keto, I never get hungry. When I go up to 60, I get hunger back.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

For me, it's entirely about hunger signals. On keto, I never get hungry. When I go up to 60, I get hunger back.

That's where it boils down to finding the amount that works for you.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for this thread! I was feeling a bit like LunaKate and the guilt over having half a low carb flat bread to wrap my meat and spinach in for lunch. Getting caught up too much with "lowest must be best" in regards to me to has been making me feel....anxious. I will still shoot for 20net or less but nice to have the studies to read, and to see how supportive everyone is.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Excellent responses! No, there are no "keto points" or a trophy for who can live on fewest carbs. :mrgreen: It's all about personal health and sustainability.

LunaKate, if 30-40g makes you happy, that is awesome. I've done that level. It DOES provide more variety. That is where I'd like to eventually settle myself at maintenance except maybe do 50g net as a ceiling, but I do actually do a little better weightloss-wise at 20 or less.

Life is a BIG n=1. Nothing wrong with finding your perfect formula. :smile:

I don't win a trophy for staying under 10g a day? Pfft, what's the point?

I find myself eating the same things most days. A typical day will go like this:

Coffee with butter/coconut oil for breakfast.
    100g ham and little tub of cream cheese, with a cup of broth and butter for second breakfast.
    4 boiled eggs and a tblspn of mayo for lunch.
    A cheese stick and a coffee with butter for second lunch.
    Meat of some sort for dinner, eg: a steak with bacon and mushrooms on top or a single serve meatloaf (wrapped in bacon of course).
    Another coffee and perhaps a bag of pork rinds in the evening (25g packet).

Sometimes I'll mix it up and add some avocado, or some frozen broccoli, or mix some cucumber into the lunch eggs and mayo - but this is pretty much it. It's sustainable, it doesn't require alot of thought, it fits in to my lifestyle (I take the morning coffee and broth in travel mugs to work). I ate this way for about 8 months last year and was in my comfort zone. Things only went bad when Xmas happened, and it was at our house, and I made carby food so good I couldn't resist. Turned into a 3 month binge. Oh well, I'm back, and feeling so much better for it.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

So...
    "The participants were obese & sedentary, and according to HOMA-IR (a measure of insulin resistance), they were insulin resistant. Why is this important? Because in general, obese insulin resistant patients respond better to low carb than low fat diets, whereas the reverse is true for insulin sensitive patientsbut what about low carb vs. lower carb?"

How do I know if I'm IR or IS (or neither)? I sure as heck don't want to switch to a low fat diet. But I sureR than heck want to be losing weight... My weight losses, as per almost every post-menopausal woman, are *really* slow. Is there a corelation? I doubt anyone in the scientific world is going to do a study on that, but I'm interested in everyone's thoughts.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know how to tell for sure, but this was the first thing that google turned up. At least one recommendation was what I thought might help (blood sugar testing).

http://profgrant.com/2014/01/24/am-i-insulin-resistant/
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That's a great link, FIT_Goat.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Thank you Goat, that was interesting. So now we have...

Insulin Resistance profgrant.com/2014/01/24/am-i-insulin-resistant/
    "Checklist
    I’ve had trouble controlling my weight my whole life
    I have a high waist circumference (I’ve got a fat gut) – more than 100 cm men, 85 cm women
    I always feel hungry
    I feel like something sweet after dinner to stop my hunger
    Fatigue, exhaustion, depression
    High blood pressure
    Frequent hypoglycemia (low blood sugars)
    You are over 50 years old

BTW – if you have failed one of the glucose tests then don’t bother with the checklist, you are already insulin resistant."

Insulin Sensitivity ehow.com/facts_5724311_insulin-vs_-insulin-sensitivity-definition.html
    "Tissue responsiveness to insulin, meaning how successfully the receptor operates to permit glucose clearance, is termed insulin sensitivity. In the case of optimal insulin sensitivity, after a high sugar meal, insulin rises sharply, pushing glucose into the tissues rapidly, then dissipates. In the case of poor insulin sensitivity, however, insulin's elevation is sustained due to an inability to force glucose into muscle tissues."

But can I find a list of symptoms for IS? No, I cannot. But the IR certainly sounds mostly like the pre-LCHF me; particularly the hypoglycemia. I would get shaky and feel faint and nauseous if I didn't eat every 3 hours.

The "85 cm" waist for women annoys me very much though. I'm built like a sherman tank, I'm not going to have an 85 cm waist until I'm a skeleton. That figure is normally written as 88 cm anyway, and wouldn't that be over-weight for an Asian woman? Generalisations like that, with no allowance for build, make me spit chips >:) I'm a labdrador. Nobody expects a labrador to diet itself into being a greyhound!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you Goat, that was interesting. So now we have...

Insulin Resistance profgrant.com/2014/01/24/am-i-insulin-resistant/
    "Checklist
    I’ve had trouble controlling my weight my whole life
    I have a high waist circumference (I’ve got a fat gut) – more than 100 cm men, 85 cm women
    I always feel hungry
    I feel like something sweet after dinner to stop my hunger
    Fatigue, exhaustion, depression
    High blood pressure
    Frequent hypoglycemia (low blood sugars)
    You are over 50 years old

BTW – if you have failed one of the glucose tests then don’t bother with the checklist, you are already insulin resistant."

Insulin Sensitivity ehow.com/facts_5724311_insulin-vs_-insulin-sensitivity-definition.html
    "Tissue responsiveness to insulin, meaning how successfully the receptor operates to permit glucose clearance, is termed insulin sensitivity. In the case of optimal insulin sensitivity, after a high sugar meal, insulin rises sharply, pushing glucose into the tissues rapidly, then dissipates. In the case of poor insulin sensitivity, however, insulin's elevation is sustained due to an inability to force glucose into muscle tissues."

But can I find a list of symptoms for IS? No, I cannot. But the IR certainly sounds mostly like the pre-LCHF me; particularly the hypoglycemia. I would get shaky and feel faint and nauseous if I didn't eat every 3 hours.

The "85 cm" waist for women annoys me very much though. I'm built like a sherman tank, I'm not going to have an 85 cm waist until I'm a skeleton. That figure is normally written as 88 cm anyway, and wouldn't that be over-weight for an Asian woman? Generalisations like that, with no allowance for build, make me spit chips >:) I'm a labdrador. Nobody expects a labrador to diet itself into being a greyhound!

I think that's generally why a waist to hip ratio is used more often. The main point is that if you're insulin resistant, you store most of your excess weight in your abdomen area, which increases your waist and alter your waist to hip ratio. (The so-called "apple shape.")

The at-home way to test is to take your morning glucose. Anything over 100mg/dL is generally considered insulin resistant. You can also do your own tolerance test by eating a set amount of carb-heavy food or liquid (ideally simple carbs for purposes of the test), then test at 1, 2, and 3 hours afterward. An insulin sensitive person will not likely have their blood sugar rise above 140mg/dL or so, while an insulin resistant person will see a number quite a bit higher at the 1 and 2 hour mark. Likewise, an IS person will have normal readings at 3 hours, while an IR person's may still be elevated, or may drop abnormally low.

If your fasting glucose is normal, but you still suspect insulin resistance, have your doctor run a fasting insulin test. This is different from the glucose test, and will tell you how much insulin is required to keep your fasting glucose at the level it's at.

Also, there are no "symptoms" of insulin sensitivity, because that's the functional state for humans. Insulin resistance is the dysfunctional state. "Symptoms" of insulin sensitivity would include, then, something like: ability to lose weight by adjusting intake or activity level, even/typical fat distribution (even if obese*), low/normal body fat percentage (if not overeating), fasting blood sugar of 60-99mg/dL (ideally, 60-80mg/dL), etc.

* While many people think that obesity is what leads to insulin resistance, it's actually often the other way around. You can actually tell which people had the insulin resistance first by looking at their fat distribution. The people with "beer belly" type distribution -- a lot of abdominal fat, but lean extremities -- were likely insulin resistant before they gained weight.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thank you Fit-Goat for a really informative link. The sub link to the LCHF guy was fascinating reading. The point that Prof Schofield made about the internet as an enabler of the alternative view rather that the view of the 'appointed one' was very refreshing and true as this support group clearly demonstrates.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    But can I find a list of symptoms for IS? No, I cannot.

No symptoms because it's not a condition --- insulin sensitivicy is what we want.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Thank you @Dragonwolf and @kirkor I have a fasting blood glucose reading from last May (well before LCHF) and it was 5.7. Obviously Australians use a different system to the American one - why am I not surprised. The nurse said it was high for a fasting reading. My husband's was 4.4 and she was happy with his.

That reading was around 11am and I hadn't eaten since around 9pm the night before. I'd had coconut milk in a cup of coffee an hour or so before the reading though. (David has his coffee black.)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here's a conversion chart. 5.7 is mildly elevated. 4.4 is very good.

http://www.diabeteschart.org/mgmmol.html
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you @Dragonwolf and @kirkor I have a fasting blood glucose reading from last May (well before LCHF) and it was 5.7. Obviously Australians use a different system to the American one - why am I not surprised. The nurse said it was high for a fasting reading. My husband's was 4.4 and she was happy with his.

That reading was around 11am and I hadn't eaten since around 9pm the night before. I'd had coconut milk in a cup of coffee an hour or so before the reading though. (David has his coffee black.)

Your husband's reading would be < 80 mg/dL.

A 5.7 mmol/L reading would be a ~103 mg/dL reading using the above scale. That's just slightly in the IR range, depending on which scale you choose. It's definitely high for a fasting reading (especially for someone not doing LCHF--as our readings are sometimes artificially high).

So, yeah. That's one indicator that you're probably IR. Along with the other signs (weight trouble, abdominal fat, etc.) it means you can be pretty sure you have some degree of it.

Edit: Missed the coconut milk comment. That could have caused a higher than real reading. It would be best to get a true fasting reading. Although, with the other signs, you probably don't need it. You can operate on the assumption that you do have it.