Season 5 - Episode 16 - Season Finale - "Conquer" - 03/29/15

Options
2»

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    thefeniks wrote: »
    Michonne put her katana back on the wall, then pulled it down.

I thought about Rick possibly shooting Reg but there are a few things that make me doubt that is what happened. Do the town folk of Alexandria know that everybody turns, not just the ones who have been bitten? Also, Rick and Deanna already had a discussion about killing Pete, at the grave site. My feeling is that Deanna's, "Rick, do it" comment was a nod to that earlier discussion and her way of saying kill him. Lastly, I don't think Rick would have coldly pulled the trigger without an apology of some sort. Kind of like Daryl's, "sorry brother", before he sot Dale.

I'm *certain* that Deanna had Reg in her arms when she told Rick, "do it". And he clearly turned away from her to shoot so whoever he shot wasn't in her hands. Also, note how Pete suddenly stopped ranting incessantly? He would never have done that without a bullet to the head. #porchdick
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Ok, having re-watched that last scene about 5 times while looking for a link that included the credits and scenes following, I'm positive that Rick put that bullet in Pete's head, not Reg's, and without any hesitation whatsoever! And of course, Pete was suddenly silent, as sofaking6 pointed out.

Also noticed before that, as soon as Pete entered the little courtyard and started growling about Rick not being one of them, Carol whispered to Rick, "Do it now!" - totally missed it last night, too many things going on I suppose. Reg would still be alive had Rick done it right then, but it would have been without Deanna's blessing, and she'd still be against him. So poor Reg.

In my 5 re-watchings, the moment between Morgan and Rick is just amazing - Rick's face, Morgan's face....gah!
    Michonne put her katana back on the wall, then pulled it down.
    Yes, she was about to hang it up and then reconsidered, and I'm so glad she did! That katana should be on her back at all times in my opinion! That's where it belongs.

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

Also noticed before that, as soon as Pete entered the little courtyard and started growling about Rick not being one of them, Carol whispered to Rick, "Do it now!" - totally missed it last night, too many things going on I suppose. Reg would still be alive had Rick done it right then, but it would have been without Deanna's blessing, and she'd still be against him. So poor Reg.

We watched it with the subtitles on and it read as "Not now." I took it as a warning to Rick to not jump the gun (no pun intended) and wait to let Pete show his true colors to the group. I'll definitely have to rewatch also!

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Last, who sprayed painted the warning about the wolves on the car? I don't remember it being there when Daryl and Aaron showed up. Did Daryl and Aaron do it after Morgan saved them?

I thought the Wolves did that. Remember back at Noah's residential compound there was similar warning sprayed on a wall. I feel like they do that after they run through an area.

I thought the same thing but then I wondered why they would want to warn people if they are trying to trap them. Maybe they are just staking their territory.

• sofaking6
    Options
    Last, who sprayed painted the warning about the wolves on the car? I don't remember it being there when Daryl and Aaron showed up. Did Daryl and Aaron do it after Morgan saved them?

I thought the Wolves did that. Remember back at Noah's residential compound there was similar warning sprayed on a wall. I feel like they do that after they run through an area.

I thought the same thing but then I wondered why they would want to warn people if they are trying to trap them. Maybe they are just staking their territory.

That's my thinking. Some way to mark places that are in their territory or where they have set traps or...anyway they are definitely Terminus-level monsters, and they all seem to have that Gareth hipster douche thing down pat, so I'm really looking forward to their violent deaths later on this year :) Seems like between Morgan actually meeting a couple and Darryl and Aaron springing a trap our group will finally have a clue about this new enemy.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    That was such a good season finale and it set up the next season so perfectly. Watching Rick shoot Porch Dick in classic Rick style was so, so satisfying.

Seeing Morgan come out the other side of Crazytown and not only outplay the Wolves, but save Daryl's bacon and be reunited with Rick was amazing.

Father Gabriel and Nick both being granted mercy was kind of incredible as well. I don't think a single viewer would've been sad to see either bite it, but watching members of Rick's crew demonstrate their compassion and humanity time and time again after being tried and being out there as long as they have is exceptional.
  • d14n4m
    d14n4m Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love Carol, but not buying the scene with Pete. He did not so much as blink in his fight with Rick. But Carol slooooowly pulls a knife on him while holding a casserole in the other arm and he cowers like a scolded dog. I appreciate what they were trying to show, how strong she has become since season one, but I think it could have been written better.

I think he was more afraid of Carol because he knew she was right. After the accusations that he beat his wife, it would be very easy to believe that would be the instigator in a confrontation with Carol. Who would believe that the nice sweet cookie lady would attack a full grown man?
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Still thinking about it!

The title - I saw a war coming but of course with the support of his people, Rick conquered Alexandria without a shot.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

We watched it with the subtitles on and it read as "Not now." I took it as a warning to Rick to not jump the gun (no pun intended) and wait to let Pete show his true colors to the group. I'll definitely have to rewatch also!
    Oooo, well now I have to watch it again and listen more closely! :agree:

Edit: Yeah, hard to tell, even with earbuds in and the volume up on the laptop. I am leaning towards "not now".....

sofaking6 wrote: »
    they all seem to have that Gareth hipster douche thing down pat,
    Bahahahaha - excellent description! :grin:
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Ok watched Talking Dead last night:

-Pete is definitely the one that Rick shot
    -Apparently Morgan beeped the car horn to check if there were walkers nearby before leaving the guys in the car, ie he was trying to make sure they'd be safe as he left them there (although it was generally agreed that it wasn't clear on the show). So he really does believe now that all life is precious.
    -The final scene showed up again at the beginning of my TDD recording - the car Daryl and Aaron were in was a little sports car (right?), but the one with the graffiti was a big SUV.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Ok watched Talking Dead last night:

-Pete is definitely the one that Rick shot
    -Apparently Morgan beeped the car horn to check if there were walkers nearby before leaving the guys in the car, ie he was trying to make sure they'd be safe as he left them there (although it was generally agreed that it wasn't clear on the show). So he really does believe now that all life is precious.
    -The final scene showed up again at the beginning of my TDD recording - the car Daryl and Aaron were in was a little sports car (right?), but the one with the graffiti was a big SUV.

Agreed, the car they were stuck in was a small car, not a big SUV.

Carol definitely said, "Don't do it." And Michonne was right, something's gonna happen, but don't make something happen.

My husband's thought was that Morgan showed up at the wrong time, so he's now horrified that Rick just killed Pete like that. What do you think Morgan's reaction will be? (And I can't believe we have to wait until October to find out!)
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I really think Morgan will see it as an opportunity to pay Rick back in kind and help someone who has helped (tried to help) him in the past.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Morgan's arrival to me signified just how much Rick has changed since we were first introduced to his character. The Rick we knew in season 1 would never have shot Pete so easily without pause, but as viewers we've seen and understood how he's reached that point. Since Morgan travels alone, he's never had to deal with losing fellow survivors due to resurfacing threats that were previously spared. Even now, Morgan has no idea that his unwillingness to kill the Wolves that threatened his life resulted in them killing another innocent traveler (the poncho man) later. I believe Morgan will learn the error of his ways once the Wolves make it to Alexandria.

I definitely think Rick and Carol need to chill and not conspire together. They sometimes act too fast, without considering the fallout. Most of what they do is (usually) with good intent, but their methods are questionable. Rick knows Michonne won't let him act off the cuff like this, which is why he looked so bashful when he confessed to not telling her about his and Carols' plans. Seeing Carol and Rick scheme made me think why characters like Glenn, Michonne, and Maggie are so important, because I think they help pull some of the leaders back from the edge and prevent them from going full out Governor on everyone. They help to balance the brutality necessary to survive with the humanity needed for the will to keep going.