Mar 2015 Challenge ~ Mar 29th - Apr5th

Options
cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,407 Member
Just in Time For Spring: 21-Day Arm-Sculpting Challenge

Week 3

Getting started: The challenge consists of five basic exercises that help to target all the areas of your arms. Over the course of the challenge, you will increase the number of reps you're doing of each exercise, eventually working up to three sets of 15 reps for each exercise.
Below is an explanation of how to do each of the five exercises, followed by the plan itself.

Choosing the appropriate size weight is key here — you want one that fatigues your muscles by the end of the three sets. If the challenge ever feels too easy, that's your cue to increase the weight of the dumbbells (and if you find you are fatiguing too early, decrease the weight amount). Beginners should start the plan with five-pound weights, and for you more-experienced lifters, make this challenge work for you by grabbing a heavier set.

Bicep Curl

• Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand at the sides of the body.
• Keeping your elbows close to your side, slowly raise the dumbbells to the chest.
• Moving with control, lower back to the starting position.
• This counts as one rep.

Upright Row

• Place a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body, shoulders over the pelvis, and a slight bend in the knees.
• Keeping the dumbbells close to your body, raise them to your shoulders, bending your elbows out to the sides. Slowly lower them to the starting position.

Triceps Kickback

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand, hinge forward from your hips, bending the knees slightly. Bend your elbows behind you.
• Straighten your arms behind you with your palms facing in. Your arms should be parallel to the floor. Squeeze your triceps, and then return to the starting position.

Overhead Shoulder Press

• Hold a dumbbell in each hand just above the shoulders, palms facing in.
• Straighten the arms above you.
• Bend the elbows coming back to the starting position to complete one rep.

Bent-Over Reverse Fly

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand with your closed palms facing out, stand with the knees slightly bent. Keeping your back flat, bend forward at the hip joint.
• Lift both arms to the sides, maintaining a slight bend in the elbows, and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Then, with control, lower the dumbbells back together.
• This completes one rep.

Week 3 of our 3-Week Plan

Choose an appropriate size dumbbell (three to eight pounds) and follow the plan below. Every other day is a rest day to give your muscles a chance to rebuild and become stronger.

Day 15 14 reps of each (3x)
Day 16 Rest
Day 17 15 reps of each (3x)
Day 18 Rest
Day 19 15 reps of each (3x)
Day 20 Rest
Day 21 15 reps of each (3x)

Let us know how you are doing. Have FUN!!!

Chris

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, fun, definitely, "fifteen" you say, hmm... (...after deleting the first thing I wrote.) :laugh:
  • cpanus
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ...yeah, I was thinking maybe WE should repeat week two, but then I realized it wasn't WE that should repeat it...heheheheheheh! :o
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    Challenge completed x3. And I challenged myself to use 5lb weights for all exercises.

Kathy
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Challenge x3 and still working on steps for the day.

Lynnette
  • cpanus
    Options
    Got 4.5 miles done this morning then shopped and lunched with DD! She needed the break but then told me at lunch that when we were done she was going back to work on her dissertation...it's almost done. She's in the middle of her last chapter.

total miles - 7.62...total steps - 14,671 for today. I have gym in the morning. I'm pretty sure I'll get all the arm exercises in. ...pretty sure. I'll be walking tomorrow too.

Have a great Tuesday everyone. I am, as of 3:30 this afternoon, officially retired! bwahahaha!

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Rest day for me today.

Chris, I'm doing flys and kickbacks without weights, not to simply go through the motions, but because I can't lift my arms 36 times (12 reps x 3 sets) when using weights. Would it be better for me to use 3# weights and do fewer reps?

How excited for you that it is official and that your DD's dissertation is wrapping up. Milestones. :smiley:

Kathy, I'll think of you doing the flys & kickbacks with 5# weights - you get to be my inspiration. :bigsmile:

Lynnette, You're a monster. A given. And a compliment. :laugh:

Sweet dreams,
    Paula :yawn:
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Chris, congratulations on retirement!!!
    Did weight workout yesterday. Have not hit the challenge yet but have been getting back on track with my Couch 2K program. planning to hit the gym after work to do the run for week 6.
    Lynette and Kathy- good work with the challenge!
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    Challenge rest day. Tennis practice this evening 90 minutes. Headed to bed early...in the office tomorrow.

Chris - Congratulations!

Goodnight

Kathy
  • lcarls71
    Options
    Challenge rest day here also but did hit up Abs class and have over 13k steps in.

Kathy way to up the ante with the 5# weights. I definitely have to go lighter on the flys, 3#-5# depending on the day. Anything heavier and my shoulder clicks like a typewriter, lol.

Clara are you training for a particular run? I opted out this year of the Glow and Color runs here.

Paula lighter is better than nothing. I use the lighter weights for flys also.

Chris it sounds like she is determined to get it finished. Good for her, it exhausts me just thinking about it ;)

Woke up to 3-5" of fresh, crunchy snow this morning. Needless to say no one was amused :s Hoping for a warm up for the long weekend.

Lynnette
  • cpanus
    Options
    Lynnette hate to tell you this but it was a hot, sweaty day here in northern California! Gorgeous! Windy, though... ;)

Kathy - Thank you! <3

Clara - good job with the C2K. :)

Paula - what Lynnette said. :*

Got outside early this morning and managed 4.25 miles in an hour then hit the gym w/trainer for 45 mins then picked up Bean then did our challenge because I didn't do it yesterday!!!! Total steps 15,789...total miles 8.32. It's been a good day! B)

Chris
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    lynette, I'm not training for a particular run but may start to take part in some local runs once I've become a better runner. Right now I'm really a jogger but I'm making progress.
    Paula- you are an inspiration!
    Chris- so glad you're daughter is almost done. And what a workout day you had!
    Kathy-good job with the challenge!
    Hope no one plays April Fool tricks on ya'll!
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,889 Member
    Options
    Happy April Fools Day to us all. Stay sharp and not fall for anything!

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Got 4.26 miles done in 61 minutes this morning...hit Target for a few things...picked up Bean...we went for 2.12 miles in 41 minutes.

I'm have way through DD's final chapter. Must finish...this will be a REST DAY for me as far as our challenge goes.

I hope you are all having fun today!!

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi Shelley,

Speaking of not falling for anything, my husband bought a birthday card for his mom.

On the front two fish are looking at each other. One is in a fish bowl. The other one is in a gallon of VODKA grinning and saying "this is awesome!" Inside it says: Here's to spending your birthday in good spirits.

True or Fool? :flowerforyou:

Paula
  • PaulaKro
    edited April 2015
    Options
    TRUE! I'd made a copy to send you, but it's probably faster if you just google "Gemma Correll vodka fish". They are orange and black, so are they clown fish or just silly fish! :laugh:
  • lcarls71
    Options
    Clara I am more a jogger also, that is when I do actually run lol. I jogged two 5k's last year and let me tell ya there were more "joggers" there than "runners".

Finished up my 12k goal steps today and our challenge. Abs are a bit sore from class yesterday. It warmed up some today so I was finally able to sweep the garage out and get the net lights off the bushes from Christmas, lol. Those lights were driving hubby nuts :p even though the timer has not be plugged in for months just them being out there still irked him something fierce.

Lynnette
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,889 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    TRUE! I'd made a copy to send you, but it's probably faster if you just google "Gemma Correll vodka fish". They are orange and black, so are they clown fish or just silly fish! :laugh:

If they are clown fish they are really smashed and not looking their best! Funny how things come full circle. When you saw the card you had a better understanding of the science behind the cute card. And I was able to see all the different items that fish and vodka have. I liked the one with the 3 cats using straws to drink a cocktail from the fishes bowl. Thanks for sharing! B)

Chris working on DD paper is not a rest day! :s Walking with Bean is more relaxing for sure.

Clara and Lynette I love that you guys jog. Way to go. I do a little sprinting, cause I might have to do it for real. But you two rock. Christmas lights down before Easter is a win. My neighbor loves the ones on her porch. As in loves them all year around. >:)

Worked late. Got home and walked the boys. I am off tomorrow. Planning on getting some painting done!

Shelley
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Okay, did 3 sets of everything. Still straining on the 12th rep, so going to stay at that level for awhile.
    - Curls, rows, presses: 12/ea 6.6#
    - Kickbacks: 10/ea 3#
    - Flys: 5/ea 3#

Clara & Lynnette, My PT (physical therapist) says I'll be running before they're done with me. I have never been a runner worth mentioning. :noway: Maybe jogging... But she claims they're also going to have me doing squats and lunges ??!!???! So we'll see. Wow!

Shelley, Couldn't find the cats. Easy to imagine though. :laugh:

Chris, Doesn't sound like you're ever going to be bored. But finally you have time to live your life! :grin:

Kathy, Hope you have good weather for your tennis.

G'night all! Paula :yawn:

• lcarls71
    Options
    Fish and vodka??? I must Google this, lol.

Challenge and steps completed. Off work until Monday so I am planning on some much needed attention being paid to this house ;) No training next week so back to some OT for me and going to put forth some serious effort to keep the gym in the schedule.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Paula - great job on the workout!
    Chris working on DD paper is not a rest day! :s Walking with Bean is more relaxing for sure.
    Shelley

Shelley...so true...so true. The end is near...I keep saying that!

Lynnette - good job on the workout and steps. Hope you get to the gym.

Got my miles in this morning but by the time I picked up Bean the wind was too strong and cold. It was pretty nasty. Nopey, nope! Puppy would have survived, but I wouldn't have.

Tomorrow DD is on holiday and all next week is her Spring Break. Tomorrow we shop again then back to finishing her paper.

I hope you all have a great Friday!

Chris