Vitamin D deficiency causes weight problems? Who knows anything about this?

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
I am 47 and definitely perimenopausal. It ve been struggling with losing about 5-10 lbs to get to what I consider my ideal weight. . . .

I had my yearly last week, and I asked my ob/GYN to do a thyroid test because of the difficulty I have had with trying to lose, and even manage, my weight. She agreed, and then said, "I'll run a vitamin D test also because that can be an issue in weight gain too". (I had never heard of such, but why would I?). Well, my test results came back very deficient. I did a bit of Internet research (I know, the gold standard, right?) and I'm reading that vitamin D is definitely a player in weight management. It is actually not a vitamin but a hormone, that helps leptin (the hormone that signals us to stop being hungry) to work correctly. Weight gain and obesity are some of the common symptoms. Also, muscle and joint pain and overall inflammation. Could it be that my ever-present soreness that I have blamed on just being older and working out could be because of this? And it also affects mental clarity and mood. Again, I've been blaming those things on perimenopause. Wow! It will be interesting to see where this goes! This could really explain/change some things for me!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine's low again too. It WAS low. Then I did the supplements. Got it up there, and managed to keep it up for about 5 years. Now it's low now. I moved my sunscreen to work. I'm in the sun for 30 minutes or so a day, and still low.
    I just started supplementing again too. But this time doing D3, not the prescription D2.

Here's hoping it makes a big difference for you!
  • tigerblue
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm‌ do you have any symptoms that you noticed? And can you tell if it changes anything for you, other than the blood test?

Also, any side effects from the vitamin? My doc reccomended the D3--4000 IU daily.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    @Sabine_Stroehm‌ do you have any symptoms that you noticed? And can you tell if it changes anything for you, other than the blood test?

Also, any side effects from the vitamin? My doc reccomended the D3--4000 IU daily.
    I know I'm more tired these days but it's hard to tell what's vitamin d and what's just menopause insomnia. The scale is stubborn but again hard to know what's causing what. I'm back on the big dose of D now. I wonder if I'll notice anything as well.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My Vitamin D was extremely low detected thru blood tests. I was beginning to feel achy, shaking a lot, my arms/legs were hurting all time and feeling like going to sleep, I had a hard time gripping things....my muscles just were not working correctly and I was tired a lot. I have been on a Boosted dosage of Vitamin D right now. In middle of April I will go back get blood work done to see if my levels are where should be.

I don't think that I realized Vitamin D was a player in weight loss though...interesting
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...this is an interesting post. Here in the northeast USA we are still in the grips of winter and I have not gotten out to get my sunshine much at all. I have noticed the scale going up or at least staying put even though I am working with my eating and exercise. I think I will start taking my D3 again. I have a 5000 unit softgel that I take, especially when I know I will be exposed to illnesses.
  • tigerblue
    Options
    This is all new territory for me. I have never really been into the herbal or alternative remedies type thing, so I've never really paid much attention to how vitamins are important! I guess I will be learning. I do think that there is wisdom in nutrition and herbal medicines, etc that our mainstream medicine just discounts, though. It looks like doctors may be paying more attention now, and that is nothing but a good thing!
  • lyhenry
    lyhenry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    After years of having low levels of D, I have finally gotten into the habit of taking 5000IU almost daily, and my last blood test showed it in the normal range. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed a difference taking it or not taking it. And I don't think it's contributed to weight loss since I've struggled with that both with and without it. But I'll keep taking it since, on paper, it seems like a good thing to do.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am 47 and definitely perimenopausal. I've been struggling with losing about 5-10 lbs.

I asked my ob/GYN to do a thyroid test because of the difficulty I have had with trying to lose, and even manage, my weight. She agreed, and then said, "I'll run a vitamin D test also because that can be an issue in weight gain too".

I'm 47 and have extremely low vitamin D. The main symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are bone loss and fatigue. The latter can make you less active, so you burn fewer calories. But it's a leap from that to "causes weight gain."
    Any side effects from the vitamin? My doc reccomended the D3--4000 IU daily.

You should be fine taking what your doctor recommends: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108
    Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day.

Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor for a specified time frame. Blood levels should be monitored while someone is taking high doses of vitamin D.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Actually the latest studies show there is a correlation with low D and weight gain. The causation aspect is uncertain. One theory is that having low D increases your appetite as your body tries to correct the deficiency by prompting you to eat more food. I've also had very low D in the past and it can make you very very tired. I collapsed after work and on weekends. Low activity levels from fatigue probably contribute to the correlation.

It's very hard to reach toxic levels of D, especially if you are being monitored. My doctor had no issues whatsoever with me taking 5k iu a day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Actually the latest studies show there is a correlation with low D and weight gain. The causation aspect is uncertain. One theory is that having low D increases your appetite as your body tries to correct the deficiency by prompting you to eat more food. I've also had very low D in the past and it can make you very very tired. I collapsed after work and on weekends. Low activity levels from fatigue probably contribute to the correlation.

It's very hard to reach toxic levels of D, especially if you are being monitored. My doctor had no issues whatsoever with me taking 5k iu a day.
    That theory makes a lot of sense. I would bet it can be applied across the board for a nutrient poor diet. I'd bet those who eat nutrient poor diets tend to overeat more, due to the quest for nutrition.
    And we know that while obesity rates have risen, so has malnutrition, particularly among the poor.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think the theory makes sense too.

I think it's similar for the correlation between weight gain and lack of sleep. I know I eat more when I'm tired. The impulse feels like it would wake me up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I think the theory makes sense too.

I think it's similar for the correlation between weight gain and lack of sleep. I know I eat more when I'm tired. The impulse feels like it would wake me up.

Yup. Definitely.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    lyhenry wrote: »
    After years of having low levels of D, I have finally gotten into the habit of taking 5000IU almost daily, and my last blood test showed it in the normal range. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed a difference taking it or not taking it. And I don't think it's contributed to weight loss since I've struggled with that both with and without it. But I'll keep taking it since, on paper, it seems like a good thing to do.

There are a lot of other aspects, things that prevent weight loss. Excess cortisol is often the culprit, other hormonal imbalances, really a lot of complex interactions. It's likely not just the one thing.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Once I started the 2000 mg suggested by my doctor, I feel better and more on control of my intake. It's amazing stuff if one is deficient.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hmm after reading the post. I'm going get my levels checked. Thanks for the information :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    my dr runs that test as a matter of course.