How to Fry an Egg

Options

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Cast iron skillet is better and less toxic than non-stick. I do the butter in the pan and flip it over version when I want a softer egg. But sometimes I want a crispy edged egg, so that's when I use bacon fat in a hotter pan than the butter version. Crack the egg into the hot pan, and the egg white kind of puffs up and gets all crispy on the edge, and tastes like bacon. :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Two things:

I use the new ceramic coated pans and will NEVER go back to anything else. These are NOT coated with toxic substances. They are NOT Teflon coated. Walmart has them, but you HAVE to read the labels on the pans, because many try to say they are ceramic and they're not. The first ones I bought, the manufacturer tried to trick you, they were ceramic on the OUTSIDE of the pan! (Teflon on the inside.)

The reason I won't use any other, than those pans, (I bought a whole set), is because they are the best non-stick pans you can buy and they were cheap & lightweight. I never could get cast iron pans to not stick, they are heavy and slow to heat up.

Secondly, if you want runny eggs (over medium) when you flip the egg, count one...two....three....etc, then make a mental note as to how many seconds it takes to get the perfect egg. Do this for consistency. They turn solid really quick (I think 30 seconds) YMMV.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Are You Having Charlie horse/leg cramps?
    Need Potassium?
    More Emoticons
    Keto Constipation & Psyllium Husks
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have no problem cooking eggs in stainless steel pans. I just use sufficient butter.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I should pull our my small cast iron skillet and work on getting it reseasoned. My big old Wagner that was my dad's back when he was in college managed to warp on the bottom. New pans aren't in the budget for a while, even cheap ones.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe. I also sometimes mix my ground beef with Italian sausage, then make burgers. Nom, nom.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Don't be afraid of cast iron. If yours needs to be re seasoned, that is easy to do, then you're done. I bought couple of the new fangled ceramic pans and I found that with lots of use, they became less non stick and then everything just stuck like crazy to it. They were expensive and I didn't get the use out of them that I thought I should have, given the price.

But the cast iron will last forever and once properly seasoned, are way more nonstick than nonstick pans. They are also easy to care for. I never let mine sit in water to wash it, just rinse under hot water, while scrubbing with a brush. Then I let it dry and smear a light coating of coconut oil over it and it is ready for the next use. I have two that we use daily and they never leave the top of the stove. And since bacon fat is natural and stable at room temp, at least here in Canada in late winter, if I am frying bacon in the pan in the am, I just leave the drippings in the pan to cook my steak or whatever for supper.

Bacon and eggs are great in cast iron, but watch what happens when you cook pork chops or steak or burgers in them....and the meat develops that delicious browned crust on the outside....and you'll never go back to non stick.

OK now I'm off the topic of eggs and onto meat...sorry, oops.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Don't be afraid of cast iron. If yours needs to be re seasoned, that is easy to do, then you're done. I bought couple of the new fangled ceramic pans and I found that with lots of use, they became less non stick and then everything just stuck like crazy to it. They were expensive and I didn't get the use out of them that I thought I should have, given the price.

But the cast iron will last forever and once properly seasoned, are way more nonstick than nonstick pans. They are also easy to care for. I never let mine sit in water to wash it, just rinse under hot water, while scrubbing with a brush. Then I let it dry and smear a light coating of coconut oil over it and it is ready for the next use. I have two that we use daily and they never leave the top of the stove. And since bacon fat is natural and stable at room temp, at least here in Canada in late winter, if I am frying bacon in the pan in the am, I just leave the drippings in the pan to cook my steak or whatever for supper.

Bacon and eggs are great in cast iron, but watch what happens when you cook pork chops or steak or burgers in them....and the meat develops that delicious browned crust on the outside....and you'll never go back to non stick.

I seasoned them with lard, oil, used Pam and they still didn't work. They were passed down from my dad, they were probably 30 years old. I hated them. My ceramics are still good after 6 months. I know that if they get over heated, they may fail. So I am careful not to do that.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    We have hamburger sitting in the fridge that's probably about 40% fat....can you tell that I agve the butcher extra special instructions this year? Lol
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Hey Dan, it's OK to disagree. Use whatever works for you. :)
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    you HAVE to read the labels on the pans, because many try to say they are ceramic and they're not. The first ones I bought, the manufacturer tried to trick you, they were ceramic on the OUTSIDE of the pan! (Teflon on the inside.)

That reminds me of these "titanium" pans I have from Anolon. They are just aluminum pans with the coating. However, they have lasted 10 years and still work perfectly. I couldn't imagine replacing them with the hopes of anything being better - even if the noinstick coating might be one of a billion things that could kill me.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I can't get the cast iron skillet to not stick. Even bacon sticks to the mother effing thing! It makes me so angry. Plus then my whole house smells like a dirty restaurant kitchen and I smell like I moonlight as a fry cook. I still continue to try all of the time. It works well for cracklin' chicken but it doesn't really taste any better than when I use my other skillet. I have the cast iron skillet where you turn it over and it is a "grill" on the other side. I found the grill side works well for burgers and pork chops. But I can absolutely forget frying an egg on the darn thing, even if it's fried in 1/4 inch of bacon grease. The yolk still tears.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

if your cast iron is really old and rusted/spotty then there are SEVERAL steps you will need to do-- several times over.

I bought some cast iron pans from kroger for REALLY cheap because no one wanted them-- really bad shape coated with rust all over etc. followed the directions from http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-restore-a-rusty-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-203086

worked like a charm!

NOW on to the topic ;) I prefer to crack my egg in a bowl and THEN pour it into a nice hot pan with either butter or EVOO in it. I don't like a whole lot of egg white hence the crack into a bowl first for me-- but I want the yolk nice and runny! a poached egg is also delish on a burger!
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    Plus then my whole house smells like a dirty restaurant kitchen
    Low carb problems
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    My house always smells of meat.....it's good.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I do my eggs in a frypan with a lid. Put the pan on low-medium heat. Melt some butter. Crack a couple of eggs into it, and PUT THE LID ON. Glass lids are great for this. Why? Because the white is cooked on the top of the egg as well without having to flip it over, and the yolk can still be runny. I hate sunny side up eggs with a "snotty" white on the top.

For burgers I have discovered silicon egg rings. I used to use the metal ones but they annoyed the hell out of me. Even greased beforehand the egg still stuck and they were a pain to clean. The silicon ones just slip right off. Crack the egg into the ring, cook it until getting set, pop the ring off, flip it over for all of about 30 seconds. Done.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've found my eggs flip quiet easily using coconut oil instead of butter. With butter I break my eggs every time :(
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Sometimes I chop bacon up in pieces and fry it in the pan until almost done, then crack a couple of eggs into the pan and let it cook. When one side is cooked, I flip it over, and the bacon pieces stick to the fried eggs, making a kind of crust. It's fun to eat that way, and I just might add some cheese after it's flipped.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Sometimes I chop bacon up in pieces and fry it in the pan until almost done, then crack a couple of eggs into the pan and let it cook. When one side is cooked, I flip it over, and the bacon pieces stick to the fried eggs, making a kind of crust. It's fun to eat that way, and I just might add some cheese after it's flipped.

This ^^^^^^ :) I do this too! yummy! I used to drain off some of the drippings (pre-keto) but now I just eat 'em with all the drippings!

Bacon Wrapped Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken
    Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I seasoned them with lard, oil, used Pam and they still didn't work. They were passed down from my dad, they were probably 30 years old. I hated them. My ceramics are still good after 6 months. I know that if they get over heated, they may fail. So I am careful not to do that.

FYI, Pam (or other generic spray) makes non-stick coatings stop working and voids the warranty on almost every pan type out there.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

FYI, Pam (or other generic spray) makes non-stick coatings stop working and voids the warranty on almost every pan type out there.

Wait...what? ...Really? Not that I use "cooking sprays" anyway (we do have spray coconut and/or olive oil, but we rarely use it anymore, in favor of butter everywhere), but...why is that?