lchf and blood pressure

spush
spush Posts: 132 Member
Now, I have no doubts in my lovely way of eating being good for my blood pressure but has anyone any stories, tips etc?

Bit of background. When I was in the wasteland ( waistland! ) of high carbing my doc put my on an ace drug which gave me the worst cough in the world for 4 months till I refused to take it. Now she wants me to start a new tablet but I've asked for 3 months before agreeing on new drugs. I do have a bp monitor at home and will be keeping records.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Let us know how you get on. Good luck! I had a couple of high BP readings before Christmas, before LCHF, but haven't had the courage to test again...
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    I've read a lot of people on reddit saying it fixed their hbp. Mine has always been normal (except 1 time, and I was vindicated at the next appt).
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    I've always had normal BP Since lchf, it's actually gotten low! I have to watch :)
  • OMADZombie
    OMADZombie Posts: 15 Member
    I've only been back on keto for a week, but I just took my bp and it was 119/65 (I'm not on meds). I haven't had it that low in years. I've never seen as low as 65. Granted it may change long term, but I'm happy for now. :)
  • rmath76
    rmath76 Posts: 8 Member
    I've been on veto for 3 months, and I keep hoping my blood pressure will go down. No luck yet... :( Hoping to avoid medication, so I'm going to keep on keeping on! :smiley:
  • spush
    thanks guys :) lets keep going
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    During my 7th month I suddenly started seeing great BP readings - Pulse rates too. Better than I have had on a consistent bases in probably 10 years. Been on meds probably about 5 years without this kind of lower readings
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    My bp has yet to drop.... Instead it is running quite high. 166 / 77 but my heart rate has gone from the mid to high 90s to the low 70s.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    My blood pressure was only slightly high. With keto, and the weight loss I saw early on with keto, blood pressure meds were the first ones I was able to get off of completely.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Before LC I suffered with high blood pressure. Tried 2 different medications , like you one made me cough like crazy. Finally I figured out it was the lisinopril . The pharmacist laughed and said you have the lisinopril cough . Anyway the second prescription was a waste I took one pill and felt really bad.
    Now my blood pressure is normal in fact it's low , unless I'm stressed or my anxiety is up.
    For me LC and not injesting high fructose corn syrup lowered my blood pressure ☺️
  • spush
    steffiejoe wrote: »
    Before LC I suffered with high blood pressure. Tried 2 different medications , like you one made me cough like crazy. Finally I figured out it was the lisinopril . The pharmacist laughed and said you have the lisinopril cough . Anyway the second prescription was a waste I took one pill and felt really bad.
    Now my blood pressure is normal in fact it's low , unless I'm stressed or my anxiety is up.
    For me LC and not injesting high fructose corn syrup lowered my blood pressure ☺️

It was lisinopril for me too!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,377 Member
    At 227lbs still, (so obese) my HR yesterday was 66 and my bp 100/74.

Genetically, my mom and one of my sister's and my teenage daughter (14, 5'10", 128-130lbs) all have low BP and even at 375lbs, my blood pressure was still only like 130/86. So as my weight keeps coming off, I suspect I will drop lower yet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I have high blood pressure because I'm almost 39 and taking hormonal birth control. I've never had high blood pressure otherwise, excepting a little stress incident while heavily pregnant. However, the BCP made my BP go high enough that I had to get on meds for my own peace of mind. But, I'm finding with Lisinopril, with which I've had excellent results, that I have massively increased sun sensitivity (no cough for me - I might consider trading you!). I'm looking forward to switching meds or considering getting off of them altogether, but I'll have to have some results to back it all up. My BP has been measuring normal, but I haven't been to any appointments since going LCHFMP. Looking forward to my check up this month. But I have to see my regular doc about the BP... sigh. Can't deal with another copay right now.