Low Cal Dessert Recipes?

Options
MelShier
MelShier Posts: 2 Member
Anyone have any yummy dessert recipes that won't split the pants zipper? I have a crazy sweet tooth but don't know what I could make. Any recipes or low cal baking tips are appreciated :)

Replies

• webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i make black-bean brownies which are low calorie, gluten free and vegan. more importantly, they taste fudgey and chewy and super chocolately! they have added protein powder, but this can easily be missed out.
    you can find my blog posts here; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/webrat_jen/view/protein-chocolate-brownies-vegan-and-gluten-free-737939
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For baking and such, i have found that substitutions, where you switch something unhealthy like butter for something better (like low fat margarine or apple sauce) can be very hit and miss, since sometimes the switch will affect the texture, cooking time or rising of the baking. i prefer to do a 1/2 switch, where you would use half the amount of butter and then top it up with apple sauce or margarine to make up the difference. same with sugar and sweeteners; doing a full switch can sometimes make the finished product less tasty, which is not what i want when i bake!

vegan recipes tend to use less butter but more sugars, but can be a useful starting point to work out what substitutions you like and do not like. (i love apple sauce instead of butter when the recipe allows, but although i like avocado, do not like that in my baking).

lastly, the final tip i use is to make tiny batches when possible, to reduce temptation to eat the whole tray!
    single mug cakes, or mircowave cookies are great for this!

making mini-cupcakes instead of full sized cupcakes can also help without missing out of the flavour.

if you want super healthy treats, and like bananas, then i have a ice cream treat for you! slice up and freeze a banana (or 4) and then blend in a food processor (you'll need a fairly heavy duty one to cope, but it is worth it). eat the resulting icecream, which is sweet, full of vitamins and minerals, about 100cal per banana used and absolutely delicious!
    when making this for non-healthy eating friends (who can get fed up with my insistance of making treats with strange vegetables), i tend to add a bit of maple syrup too.
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We make cupcakes with any chocolate cake mix and a can of Libbys Pumpkin. No need for eggs, oil, or water. Bake as directed. We usually frost some with cool whip, and the rest are plain.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Sorry I know it's not a recipe but Fiber one lemon bars are so delicious and have only 90 calories and the lowest sodium I've seen in other "dessert" ish bars at 80mg.
  • washbellymare
    washbellymare Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi . I found date-sweetened quinoa chocolate chip cookierecipe we love
  • metalmaiden17
    metalmaiden17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One of my favourites is some frozen fruit (usually raspberries or cherries) with a dollop of low fat cool whip (around 100 cal). I am a big ice cream fan and I love frozen treats. Another one is a creamsicle (70 cal) or a fat free fudgesicle (40 cal).
  • msjo
    msjo Posts: 1
    Options
    Sorry I know it's not a recipe but Fiber one lemon bars are so delicious and have only 90 calories and the lowest sodium I've seen in other "dessert" ish bars at 80mg.

I absolutely love these!
  • tmshank18
    tmshank18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

These are wonderful!!
  • MelShier
    MelShier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the baking tips everyone :) these all sound great!