2»

Replies

• KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Thanks Akimajuktuk and KomuchaCat. I forgot one thing I should mention. Toxins accumulate and are stored in the animal's fat. So it's important to remember, if eating conventionally raised meat that has been exposed to who knows what....that you should not eat the fat from that meat. Eating just the lean meat will be healthier for you. But on the other hand, grass fed and pastured meat that has been raised organically, has wonderful delicious fat that is very good for you to eat.

I think this is a distinction that "classical Paleo" (ie - Cordain's paleo) should have made clearer, especially when Cordain changed his stance on saturated fat (though it seems he still thinks it's bad, just not "as bad" on Paleo as on SAD? I don't know, I'm not particularly a fan of his version). One of the big misconceptions about Paleo is that you can only eat lean meats, and that's not really the case (especially anymore), but most of the contemporary big Paleo names say to trim the fat if you're getting conventional, and add fat in other ways, because of the toxin issue, but if you get organic/pastured, don't worry about trimming the fat.

The fat on conventionally raised animals is so tough and rancid who wants to eat it anyway? I think this is why my version of Paleo is always going to lean more toward WAPF than the original Cordain "branded" Paleo. We need saturated fat from healthy creature foods. And raw dairy...which would be a great thing to supplement your healthy Paleo diet with if you can't afford pastured meats at every meal, also assuming you have access to it and it's not illegal in your state. Obviously if your body doesn't get along with dairy it's out, but for me personally dairy and I are BFF's so raw milk will be pryed from my cold dead hands :smiley:

I <3 raw milk, but unfortunately, I'm in a state where it's not only illegal, but draconically so (seriously, the farmers can't even sell it, if they do, the USDA comes in and spoils their entire stock in addition to fining them into the ground; even herdshares are walking a fine line). My mom lives in the next state over, though, where it is legal, so I get a nice treat when I go visit her. :)

We don't drink much milk in my house, though. My son's lactose intolerant and my husband might be, too, and I keep both my sugar and my whey intake down (hyperinsulinemia), so that cuts out fluid milk anyway. Cheese is a different matter, though. >:)

That is a serious bummer...but I'm sure when you do get your hands on the stuff it's devine! I've always heard that people who are lactose intolerant can sometimes do OK on raw milk...however in my experience this is a mixed bag. I have a cousin who switched to raw milk and swears he does fine on it but pasteurized he's sick as a dog. But my husband says the raw milk bothers his stomach but he's fine on pasteurized. I'm not sure if it might actually be that he is not used to the amount of fat and needs to beef up his fat metabolizing skills. It's kind of funny because when I go to the natural food store I buy myself whole raw milk and buy him vanilla almond milk. The first time I did that the girl who checked me out asked if my husband wouldn't switch to almond milk assuming that was mine...I was like no way I'm raw milk all the way and hubs gets the "wussey" milk LOL! I kid, got nothing against nut milks over here...
  • kjwalker2014
    kjwalker2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I you still can't do that, though, no one's going to take away your Paleo card. Paleo is as much about the mindset as it is about the specifics of the food you buy. Buy the best you can for right now, and keep on the lookout for ways to improve.

This. I spend much less on groceries than I used to and can buy organic fruits/veggies/eggs now. The closest butcher to me burned down last year so for now the best option for my budget is Costco meats which are in no way organic or grass fed, but it's the best I can do for now so I'm not sweating it. I am still doing better than I was when I was eating multiple servings of grains and junk every day!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks Akimajuktuk and KomuchaCat. I forgot one thing I should mention. Toxins accumulate and are stored in the animal's fat. So it's important to remember, if eating conventionally raised meat that has been exposed to who knows what....that you should not eat the fat from that meat. Eating just the lean meat will be healthier for you. But on the other hand, grass fed and pastured meat that has been raised organically, has wonderful delicious fat that is very good for you to eat.

I think this is a distinction that "classical Paleo" (ie - Cordain's paleo) should have made clearer, especially when Cordain changed his stance on saturated fat (though it seems he still thinks it's bad, just not "as bad" on Paleo as on SAD? I don't know, I'm not particularly a fan of his version). One of the big misconceptions about Paleo is that you can only eat lean meats, and that's not really the case (especially anymore), but most of the contemporary big Paleo names say to trim the fat if you're getting conventional, and add fat in other ways, because of the toxin issue, but if you get organic/pastured, don't worry about trimming the fat.

The fat on conventionally raised animals is so tough and rancid who wants to eat it anyway? I think this is why my version of Paleo is always going to lean more toward WAPF than the original Cordain "branded" Paleo. We need saturated fat from healthy creature foods. And raw dairy...which would be a great thing to supplement your healthy Paleo diet with if you can't afford pastured meats at every meal, also assuming you have access to it and it's not illegal in your state. Obviously if your body doesn't get along with dairy it's out, but for me personally dairy and I are BFF's so raw milk will be pryed from my cold dead hands :smiley:

I <3 raw milk, but unfortunately, I'm in a state where it's not only illegal, but draconically so (seriously, the farmers can't even sell it, if they do, the USDA comes in and spoils their entire stock in addition to fining them into the ground; even herdshares are walking a fine line). My mom lives in the next state over, though, where it is legal, so I get a nice treat when I go visit her. :)

We don't drink much milk in my house, though. My son's lactose intolerant and my husband might be, too, and I keep both my sugar and my whey intake down (hyperinsulinemia), so that cuts out fluid milk anyway. Cheese is a different matter, though. >:)

That is a serious bummer...but I'm sure when you do get your hands on the stuff it's devine! I've always heard that people who are lactose intolerant can sometimes do OK on raw milk...however in my experience this is a mixed bag. I have a cousin who switched to raw milk and swears he does fine on it but pasteurized he's sick as a dog. But my husband says the raw milk bothers his stomach but he's fine on pasteurized. I'm not sure if it might actually be that he is not used to the amount of fat and needs to beef up his fat metabolizing skills. It's kind of funny because when I go to the natural food store I buy myself whole raw milk and buy him vanilla almond milk. The first time I did that the girl who checked me out asked if my husband wouldn't switch to almond milk assuming that was mine...I was like no way I'm raw milk all the way and hubs gets the "wussey" milk LOL! I kid, got nothing against nut milks over here...

Yeah, our experience was that our son actually did a little worse on raw milk, unfortunately, and we'd been a whole milk house for some time. He doesn't miss it, though. He loves his almond and coconut milks. The worst part is not being able to get ice cream out with him, but the store is carrying almond and coconut milk ice creams now, and the almond milk one, at least, has been a hit. It's got more crap in it than I'd like (a bunch of gums, primarily), but it's a treat, and it's a compromise from having to tell him no all the time, and provides an option for birthday parties where ice cream is being served. Thankfully, he doesn't ask for ice cream often and is happy polishing off a pint of berries.

I think if the issue is actually with lactose, it's not going to make much of a difference, but I'm not sure everyone's lactose issues are actually lactose issues (or just lactose issues), and are instead issues with either the homogenized fats or pasteurized product, and that's why some people can do raw when the other bothers them (since lactose intolerance is usually just assume when someone has issues with dairy; rarely is it looked into deeper). It's my completely unscientific hypothesis, though.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yeah, our experience was that our son actually did a little worse on raw milk, unfortunately, and we'd been a whole milk house for some time. He doesn't miss it, though. He loves his almond and coconut milks. The worst part is not being able to get ice cream out with him, but the store is carrying almond and coconut milk ice creams now, and the almond milk one, at least, has been a hit. It's got more crap in it than I'd like (a bunch of gums, primarily), but it's a treat, and it's a compromise from having to tell him no all the time, and provides an option for birthday parties where ice cream is being served. Thankfully, he doesn't ask for ice cream often and is happy polishing off a pint of berries.

I think if the issue is actually with lactose, it's not going to make much of a difference, but I'm not sure everyone's lactose issues are actually lactose issues (or just lactose issues), and are instead issues with either the homogenized fats or pasteurized product, and that's why some people can do raw when the other bothers them (since lactose intolerance is usually just assume when someone has issues with dairy; rarely is it looked into deeper). It's my completely unscientific hypothesis, though.

I believe I have a dairy allergy, but have not had formal testing. I was put on soy milk as a baby for it (EEK! My next intolerance I am sure!), and found that I really get inflammatory symptoms from it as well as GI with some types. It has never been as simple as lactose, or the handful of Lactaid pills would have helped! :) I find I have more intense reactions to some types, like sour cream, milk, yogurt and soft cheeses over others like hard cheeses. I am least bothered by Parmesan or Romano. I assumed I had a casein problem because it is associated with gluten problems, but it seems that whey and lactose are more of an issue. I do get inflammation in my head from all dairy, which I gladly ignore at times for my precious cheese!! More addictive to me than gluten ever was! Raw milk cheese is the same to my system as regular. I tested this with the same brand and type of cheeses, one raw and one not. Same. Actually 2 different brands. Same results, the raw still affected me the same, although I did quite like it!