CICO?

Options
jmarton1977
jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
I'm a recent convert to LCHF eating after doing Atkins induction for about six months. I try to keep my calories in check according to what MFP tells me I should be eating to lose 1 lb per week (around 1400). If I get close to that goal, I seem to stall, or gain, however if I go over my calories by 200 or more I always seem to drop. The human body is weird, I tell ya. It just goes to show that there are more factors at work than Calories In, Calories Out.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do well on 1600 calories and still lose. Yet the calculators always say to be around 1200-1300 to lose.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I only have my calories set so that my macros give me the right carb limit. Beyond that, I don't care about calories, and I do enjoy thumbing my nose at MFP when it tells me I'm going to get fat after I complete a day's entries. ;)
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It is amazing to me... As long as I hit my macros... I am almost never hungry. I rarely go over on calories. LCHF seems to be my sweet spot...
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    well it partly has to do with how the MFP calculator is weird.
    There are plenty of other calculators that you can use as a resource instead. You use them to calculate your approximate TDEE and BMR. You choose a number, and eat at that calorie rate.

MFP likes to be weird if you use the automatic settings, so. Go and find your TDEE and BMR on your own, and you'll probably find that your calorie consumption is higher than MFP is telling you.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Well, in fairness, I've yet to find a TDEE calculator that gives me the right number. I've tried them all. Unless I am massively underestimating my activity level, I'm outside the main part of the bell curve.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Higher metabolism maybe Goat? I have a friend who is quite tall, and very thin (I mean like 70kg and 6'5"). He has nothing wrong with him physically. He is very INactive (sits on the computer all day). He's had hormones tested etc. BUT ... he eats lollies and drinks coke constantly. And his meals are like falling over the edges of a dinner plate huge. I wrote down his food intake for a few days and he seems to consume in excess of 4000 cals, every day. I could only WISH, lol. But. It does indicate that there is alot more going on than simply "if you're this height and this weight and do this much you need this many calories".
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I would guess so. But, when I was doing regular MFP (just lower calories and moderate intake of everything), I found that I was getting worse results than I should have. Basically, I should have been losing a pound a week, I was losing less. Now I should be gaining a pound a week, I am still losing.

It's weird. Maybe my metabolism has changed.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hey, my #1 son has an Ivy League PhD in biochem and still has trouble controlling his weight. If it was easy everyone would do it.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    Hey, my #1 son has an Ivy League PhD in biochem and still has trouble controlling his weight. If it was easy everyone would do it.

Ya know.... This really does make me feel better....

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent convert to LCHF eating after doing Atkins induction for about six months. I try to keep my calories in check according to what MFP tells me I should be eating to lose 1 lb per week (around 1400). If I get close to that goal, I seem to stall, or gain, however if I go over my calories by 200 or more I always seem to drop. The human body is weird, I tell ya. It just goes to show that there are more factors at work than Calories In, Calories Out.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I believe you. But here is my experience, I do Keto & Intermittent fasting, no exercise, am T2 Diabetic. My fasting consists of, one day a week, I skip eating, only water.

I just made a spreadsheet and ran the numbers. I used 35 days (5 weeks) in a row. With MFP, I inputted all 35 days of calories (I added 5% for indiscretions and wrong input, omitted input). I used the measured TDEE of 2,246 @ day. Which is a deficit of 1,025 per day.

The deficit for the 35 days, is: 33,831 calories. Divide that by 3,500 (calories in a lb) and you get 10.2 lbs. theoretical CICO weight loss.

During that time I actually loss 12.5 lbs., which is 2.3 lbs more than CICO predicted. There is something about Fasting that gives me greater weight loss than CICO predicts.

Definitely weird....

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Previous Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)