Still not losing and 27 carbs a day may be to blame

Options
That's the number the keto calculator gave me for carbs but I think I am so metabolicly (is that a word?) challenged from 30 years of yoyo dieting that 27 may still be too high. I check my BS every morning, fasting, and it has been running over 100 so I know I'm not in ketosis plus I don't have that calm feeling I did when it was running in the 70 to 85 range so I believe high cortisol levels from stress may be at work here as well, very frustrating but still feel way better than I did when I was on the standard American diet so I will be staying with this WOE and lower my carbs to under 20 and see if that helps. Anyone else dealing with the same issues?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You can be in ketosis and your blood sugar still run over 100mg/dL, it's actually how I operate right now (in fact, I have measured days where my fasting glucose is around 110, and yet my ketones are close to 1). The only way to know whether you're in ketosis, for sure, is to do the blood test. Your glucometer might be able to do it, and you'll just need the strips for it.

From the looks of your diary, you've only been doing this for a little under three weeks. If that's the case, you need to give it time. You just drastically modified your way of eating. The big losses you always hear about in the first couple of weeks come from water weight. If you were already eating relatively low carb, or if you are fairly active, you won't see that big drop. Additionally, if you are insulin resistant or diabetic, then you have to give your body time to heal and reduce the amount of fat around the liver and pancreas (the visceral fat). This takes some time, and until it does that, you'll be lucky to see anything happening on the outside.

You're also sabotaging yourself, because you're stressing over your weight and your diet. Trust the system for a month, starting now, and don't worry about it. Re-evaluate at the beginning of May.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You can be in ketosis and your blood sugar still run over 100mg/dL, it's actually how I operate right now (in fact, I have measured days where my fasting glucose is around 110, and yet my ketones are close to 1). The only way to know whether you're in ketosis, for sure, is to do the blood test. Your glucometer might be able to do it, and you'll just need the strips for it.

From the looks of your diary, you've only been doing this for a little under three weeks. If that's the case, you need to give it time. You just drastically modified your way of eating. The big losses you always hear about in the first couple of weeks come from water weight. If you were already eating relatively low carb, or if you are fairly active, you won't see that big drop. Additionally, if you are insulin resistant or diabetic, then you have to give your body time to heal and reduce the amount of fat around the liver and pancreas (the visceral fat). This takes some time, and until it does that, you'll be lucky to see anything happening on the outside.

You're also sabotaging yourself, because you're stressing over your weight and your diet. Trust the system for a month, starting now, and don't worry about it. Re-evaluate at the beginning of May.

Thank you for the amazing advice! I am diabetic T2 and didn't realize that about the visceral fat! I'm going to keep calm and keto on per your advice and see what happens. I ordered a new glucometer today that tests ketones, what is the best range to be in for ketosis? Thank you for taking the time to explain and calming my fears!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You might try to lower your protein consumption. Your body can make glucose from protein, and at the levels you're consuming, that could well be happening. Everybody's different.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    You might try to lower your protein consumption. Your body can make glucose from protein, and at the levels you're consuming, that could well be happening. Everybody's different.
    Will do thanks!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I really think you need to lower your consumption.... You are at 2200 calories per day.. Now I dont know anything about you or your activity level... But I think you should try and drop your calories down to about 1850. At your 2200 per day I would be losing about .6 lbs per week.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    I really think you need to lower your consumption.... You are at 2200 calories per day.. Now I dont know anything about you or your activity level... But I think you should try and drop your calories down to about 1850. At your 2200 per day I would be losing about .6 lbs per week.
    That's all well and good and I've had days when I'm under due to not being hungry but most days I'm still hungry even at 2200 calories, right now I'm just trying to focus on staying away from carbs bc I know they are probably what is keeping me hungry
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

The first 3-4 weeks, people should aim for 150g of protein or higher to minimize lean body mass losses. After full adaptation, lower protein may be in order. This is especially true as diabetes tends to cause excess protein to be more of an issue.

Calories are such an imprecise way to approach things. It's like saying that putting more gas in my car will make me drive further every day. Or putting less gas in my car will make me drive less. That's only true to a point, and it actually has the cause and effect backwards. Once adapted, he'll find the calorie level that's right for him.
    That's all well and good and I've had days when I'm under due to not being hungry but most days I'm still hungry even at 2200 calories, right now I'm just trying to focus on staying away from carbs bc I know they are probably what is keeping me hungry

This is a good focus, especially in the early days. If you're hungry, eat. When you're not, don't force it. You'll find the sweet spot over time.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

The first 3-4 weeks, people should aim for 150g of protein or higher to minimize lean body mass losses. After full adaptation, lower protein may be in order. This is especially true as diabetes tends to cause excess protein to be more of an issue.

Calories are such an imprecise way to approach things. It's like saying that putting more gas in my car will make me drive further every day. Or putting less gas in my car will make me drive less. That's only true to a point, and it actually has the cause and effect backwards. Once adapted, he'll find the calorie level that's right for him.

This is a good focus, especially in the early days. If you're hungry, eat. When you're not, don't force it. You'll find the sweet spot over time.

Thank you FIT-Goat, as always, much wisdom and much appreciated input!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options

If you look at my diary now you will see I'm under, I put food in the diary that I take to work in case I'm hungry but tonight didn't eat the chicken legs bc the Meatza kept me full all night yay!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That's the number the keto calculator gave me for carbs but I think I am so metabolicly (is that a word?) challenged from 30 years of yoyo dieting that 27 may still be too high. I check my BS every morning, fasting, and it has been running over 100 so I know I'm not in ketosis plus I don't have that calm feeling I did when it was running in the 70 to 85 range so I believe high cortisol levels from stress may be at work here as well, very frustrating but still feel way better than I did when I was on the standard American diet so I will be staying with this WOE and lower my carbs to under 20 and see if that helps. Anyone else dealing with the same issues?

Who told you that BS over 100 means your not in ketosis? BG levels are not predictors of ketosis.

I have been Keto adapted for 6 1/2 months, T2 Diabetic with BS's over 180-200. A BG meter is not a "ketone" meter. It only measures BG, not Ketones. If you get a Ketones meter or a Ketonix (breath ketones device) you can measure if your in ketosis. I use the Ketonix. Every time I test, (even after I eat some small amount of carbs) I am in ketosis. And in the range that is optimal.

If you can't afford a meter, just keep doing what you are doing. 27g carbs, to me, is great! YMMV. I regularly eat more than that, but I do keep it under 40g. I would follow your plan, if you don't lose/or stall, try less carbs. Then, try less calories. Then try IF. Keep experimenting until you find the combination to your weight loss lock.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Previous Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    <snip> I ordered a new glucometer today that tests ketones, what is the best range to be in for ketosis? Thank you for taking the time to explain and calming my fears!

Any reading higher than 0.5 means you're in ketosis. Any reading higher than 3.0 is unnecessary. I believe there is danger in being around 10 or so for T2 diabetics ( or so I believe), but anyway 0.5 to 3.0 (morning fasting) is what you're hoping for.