Dry Beans

Options
prissygal
prissygal Posts: 39 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Does anyone cook dry beans? I've heard that they cause weight gain, any opinions here?

Replies

• mbythell
    mbythell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They are a good, low-fat source of protein. Like all other foods, they don't make you gain weight unless you eat too much of them.

Best way to cook them is in the oven - they stay firm and keep their shape.

Preheat the oven to 150C/300°F. In a large ovenproof saucepan with an ovenproof lid, or a lidded casserole dish, mix together the rinsed beans, enough water to cover plus a couple of centimeters (3/4") more and seasonings such as onion, garlic, bay leaves, etc... Salt quite heavily (I use 2 1/2 teaspoons for 1 pound of beans). Place in the oven and cook for about 1-1/2 hours, or until beans are tender. Check every half hour to make sure the water level is not getting too low. Once the beans are tender, remove from the oven and discard the vegetables used for seasoning.
  • heather_riffenburg1
    heather_riffenburg1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use dried beans because of the sodium in canned beans. I've never tried cooking than in the oven. So you don't have to soak then overnight? Have you ever freezed thir extra cooked beans?
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some dried beans are toxic and require traditional soaking or you will get sick. Do not cook beans directly in crockpots, microwaves or ovens in the same water used for soaking. The toxin in beans is leached out in the soak water and must be discarded. One that comes to mind are kidney beans, but I believe at least fava beans, white beans and lima beans have the same chemical. When soaking these beans, the bean water must be discarded and not used in the recipe. All beans can be boiled for at least 10 minutes to make them safe (discarding the water) and canned beans are safe straight out of the can, but raw beans must be briskly boiled and the water discarded. People get sick all the time from putting these raw beans in slow cookers. I provided an FDA link below. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/CausesOfIllnessBadBugBook/ucm071092.htm
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I soak them, then drain, rinse, and put in new water. I add diced onion, garlic, peppers, etc. and any herbs I'm in the mood for and cook them in a cast iron dutch oven. I do not add salt until they are almost done - about the last half hour. Adding salt too early can affect shape and texture. They can crumble or kind of melt to nothing, or always stay a little hard in the middle.

I've never had crockpot beans turn out quite right. They need to boil.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I freeze black beans, kidney beans and chickpeas after soaking and boiling. That way I can cook them in bulk because it takes so long. The frozen beans can be used in any recipe that you would use canned beans. I NEVER cook them with salt.
  • kaz1350
    kaz1350 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I rinse and then do a hard boil for 10 minutes. Let sit in the water (burner off) for 2 hours. Then rinse thoroughly. Fill with clean water and boil until done. I always throw in rough cut onion, celery, garlic. Drain and you can freeze what you are not using. Freeze in individual portions for future use
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great information. I have several bags of beans just sitting in my kitchen cabinet. Your posts inspire me to use them next week. Beans are a good source of protein which I find I lack when I am tracking calories on MFP. Maybe adding beans to menu will help me add more protein.
    70044776.png
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I cook dried beans all the time. I don't add anything, just follow the soak, rinse, drain, cook instructions on the package and divide and freeze for adding to rice or other recipes later.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I also use dry beans in my menus. They are a good alternative to animal protein, especially when they are combined with pasta or rice so that the protein is more complete ... but for the most part. I cook them up and keep them for adding to my soups, stews, and as salad toppings.

Someone wrote about Kidney beans making you sick ... here is what I found....

Kidney beans are pulses ,,, as are peas and lentils, and the same kidney bean lectin is found in white (cannelloni) and broad beans such as fava. Here are the cooking instructions to prevent digestive issues that can occur with improper preparation.

Preventing red kidney bean poisoning
    This type of food poisoning occurs as a result of consuming raw or undercooked kidney beans. So in order to prevent this from happening, take the following precautions:

Soak the red kidney beans for up to 8 hours. This can be done overnight if you prefer.
    Drain and rinse these beans. Throw this water away
    Put these beans in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil
    Boil them for at least 10 minutes to destroy the toxins
    Simmer them for 45 minutes to an hour
    If these beans are still hard in the centre then cook them for longer until they have softened.

Follow any cooking instructions carefully and do not be tempted to shorten the cooking time.

the source for this info is: http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/food-poisoning/red-kidney-bean-toxins.html