_____ wrapped in bacon

Options
Twibbly
Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
I love dried apricots wrapped in bacon.

What would you suggest I try out that would be much lower carb? I'm looking for something snacky I can munch on.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    The jalepeno or sweet peppers @DittoDan linked are really really good I am told, I have a nightshade allergy so cant eat them but hubby LOVED them and daughter even liked them. We've also done bacon wrapped chicken with mustard sauce. Very good! and bacon wrapped around a frozen cheese stick and then fried, very good.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    It didn't even occur to me that jalapeno poppers would be in the bacon-wrapped category. I think my brain was stuck on "sweet".

Bacon wrapped chicken sounds good - I've done it with whole breasts, but never smaller pieces. I wonder about cutting chicken into strips, stuffing with cream cheese or pesto or something, then wrapping it shut with bacon?

Do you deep fry the bacon wrapped around a frozen cheese stick?
  • Alliwan
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    It didn't even occur to me that jalapeno poppers would be in the bacon-wrapped category. I think my brain was stuck on "sweet".

Bacon wrapped chicken sounds good - I've done it with whole breasts, but never smaller pieces. I wonder about cutting chicken into strips, stuffing with cream cheese or pesto or something, then wrapping it shut with bacon?

Do you deep fry the bacon wrapped around a frozen cheese stick?

The jalepeno's are stuffed with cream cheese but no sweetner. We normally do chicken breast strips wrapped in bacon then with a mustard sauce over it and baked. But you could fry it and then dip in the mustard sauce.

Hubby just pan fries the bacon wrapped cheese stick but Id think deep frying them would work too.

On a funny side note, I didnt even know personal home deep fryers existed when I lived in California. It wasnt until I moved to the midwest and saw my Inlaws had one. Now I want one just to try out things like the bacon wrapped cheese sticks.
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fried halloumi cheese?
    I would say corn on the cob but I don't think that is particularly low carb (or much of a 'snack' food) but it sure did look nice.
    egg mayo? if you make it like a little bacon wrapped ball thing maybe
    feta cheese, babybel, shredded chicken/turkey
    Mozzarella
    :)
    or low carb sausage meat?
  • Alliwan
    Options
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Hmmm...I wonder how crab cakes or salmon patties would taste wrapped in bacon?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Prawns wrapped in bacon then deep fat fried.... Yummy
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. We did that for the first time a few weeks ago, husband said we need to get a bigger George Foreman so we can make bigger batches of it when it's too cold to cook out.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Asparagus. We did that for the first time a few weeks ago, husband said we need to get a bigger George Foreman so we can make bigger batches of it when it's too cold to cook out.

Any particular recipe?

I think I need to just try all my veggies wrapped in bacon, as a blanket rule.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    scallops or shrimp can be wrapped in bacon. Asparagus can be bundled with bacon.
    I saw chicken bacon pinwheels on the pinterest. secured with picks and grilled. whoa.
    get some of that precooked bacon and thread it on a pick...thread on couple pcs of greens, thread on a baby tomato...thread the bacon...add a spooch of mayo or aioli..
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    wrap some cooked bacon around your finger. Its a tasty treat and fun to eat.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Chicken. Seriously.

Also, water chestnuts (though I assume the original recipe isn't LC friendly, I'm sure it can be modified).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Chicken. Seriously.

I bake thighs wrapped in bacon and call them "chicken garters" B)

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Chicken. Seriously.

I bake thighs wrapped in bacon and call them "chicken garters" B)

LOL. And drooling.....
    _____ wrapped in bacon
    Everything!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    ^^^What she said!

scallops
    shrimp
    brussels sprouts
    asparagus
    cheese of all kinds
    chicken
    sausage
    cream cheese stuffed peppers
    hard boiled eggs
    beef tenderloin, of course
    turkey

then use the bacon grease to saute all your veggies!
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i love peach wedges wrapped in prosciutto with basil and thrown on the grill. don't know how many carbs but likely less than dried apricots.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Any particular recipe?

I think I need to just try all my veggies wrapped in bacon, as a blanket rule.

Nope, 1 asparagus spear, one bacon strip, wrap and grill.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloins wrapped in bacon are a huge hit in my household.
  • jlblmoon
    jlblmoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ok, I'm not much of a bacon person, but, a healthy snack that I like to do is "Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks" dipped in Organic Marinara Sauce. I have the recipe if anyone wants it, just let me know.