Ad Lib April {April 8th}

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
Link to original thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10124232/ad-libitum-april-challenge

Tomorrow, or tonight, post your first week information here.

Weight (or change)

Anything else you want to include.

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Weight: 140kg - 1.5kg loss

Absolutely no tracking at all.

OK, Goat knows but I'll go public - I'm trialing zero carb for April. I actually started on 28th March.

I figured 20g is about a tablespoonful right? A tablespoon. Almost nothing. I'm going to stop eating them all together and see what happens as I was naturally inclining that way anyway.

Major differences:

It's simple. Meat with spices and fats. That's it. No slaving over recipes and trying to find options and substitutes. No counting anything.

I have ZERO cravings for sugar and carbs. Seriously, they just evaporated. Gone. I sat beside the kids while they ate their chocolate and didn't even want any. This is huge for me. I've been an obsessive chocolate eater in my day.

The family hasn't noticed or hasn't said anything anyway. I still prepare vegetables for them but the kids won't eat them if they don't want to so I don't force them to. The hubby eats a token few for dinner, I suspect to make himself feel better about his eating habits more than anything.

Yesterday, I was hungry. I ate what seemed like a lot yet when I counted it up today (for interest's sake) it was still only 1800 cal AND I had my very first real "I'm not hungry now." Usually I gauge when to stop eating by how full my stomach feels but right near the end of my meal I looked at it and felt that I really didn't want anymore of it. So I stopped eating. This is the very first time EVER this has happened to me and I'm 48 years old.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the next few weeks take me and reading about everyone else's journey. :)
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    hello all! it's been a good week. i am only weighing at the end, but my clothes are definite continuing to fit better. i am sleeping well and waking up energized and have more energy for workouts. (this is also my first week entirely sans caffeine - though i had been cutting down).

i have been experimenting with different ways to log & track. i have just logged carbs, logged everything but not until the end of the day, and logged everything as i went but tried not to adjust anything but carbs as a result of the info.

for now, though it's still a bit scary, i prefer to just log carbs and relax about everything else. it's certainly less stressful! i am coming to trust my body and my hunger.

i noticed that my tea with stevia and heavy cream was making me hungry and feeling off, so i decided i am going to ditch dairy (except butter and ghee) and stevia (no other sweeteners either). also toying with getting rid of nuts. i don't eat a lot of those anyway.

i am definitely craving and eating more meat, and doing less forcing myself to fill in macros with fat. according to the day i logged it all after the fact, though, my macroa are still spot on for goal and my calories are fine.

all in all i feel great and am really enjoying this!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I know I've told people this before, but I can see that a couple people are already experiencing it. If you take care of the carbs, most of the time the calories will take care of themselves. Your body knows what it wants and needs. I'm glad you're finding the calories don't spiral out of control.

@Sajyana :: I am glad it's working so well for you. It does have an amazing ability to kill cravings, once you have nothing to feed them. I liken it to smoking. It is easier for me to not smoke at all, than it would be to have just two cigarettes a day.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    also forgot to mention two other things i have noticed: my skin is looking a ton better (even toned, hydrated) and i am way less grumpy.

(i am heading into my second month of keto and this stuff just continues to improve).
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Weight trend: 70.9 kg (-0.3 kg ~0.6 lbs).

Larger than typical drop this week. This happens though. So, next week will probably be a smaller drop or none at all. Like I said, my goal isn't necessarily to continue to lose weight. So, any that happens is bonus.

This week has been pretty stressful at work, and will continue to be. Once it is over, things turn around pretty quickly for me.
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Weight 156.6 Up .4 lbs for the week. Was down .4 yesterday but made a bad decision last night and ate a slice of pizza. Have to own up to our transgressions I guess. Still under 50 carbs but they were bad ones!. Hopefully this almost pound will drop quickly for a better show next week.
  • WKATHY70
    WKATHY70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weight 160lbs
    Carbs =<15
    Cals = ~1200
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Current weight 190.2 = no change from last weigh in

I'm really surprised by this as I ate anything and everything I wanted on Sunday. I went almost no carb Monday and Tuesday to get back on track. I will say that I had a "sugar" headache Sunday eve and I felt sluggish on Monday.

Not even watching calories. Only logging foods with carbs to keep up with carb count (I skipped Sunday, I'm sure it was waaaayyy up there). Shooting for less than 20g / day but typically fall around 15g / day.

I've read thru so many of your responses and it has been confirmed that I am an odd bird. I don't get "hungry". Before this WOE I would get "hangry" - lol - while I didn't feel hungry I would get a headache, be grouchy, twitchy, etc. But I simply do not get that tummy growling hunger that so many speak of. I've had a few days that I had to eat something at the end of a day only because I hadn't eaten all day. While I didn't feel bad or have any symptoms it worries me to go all day without eating. My body is finally working with me and I sure don't want to put it into an "omg she's starving me" mode. So I make sure I'm eating what I think is enough and only watching my carb counts.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Initial weight: 164.8
    Current weight: 166.4
    Loss: +1.6

Which means exactly nothing to me. I got a low on March 31, which meant I was going to shortly pop up 2lbs and bounce around that for weeks before I lose again. If I'm still up that much at the end of the month, THEN I'll care about a gain. All this week I have bounced between 165 and 167. Completely normal for me. So SSDD so far. :smile:

This is what my weigh has done since Feb. This is what my metaphor "a cracked out kangaroo on moon shoes" looks like in practice.
    h3cvjc9wo85d.jpg

So it's evident that a bounce up in 1 week means nothing. Especially considering being female, if you get my meaning. I took my 2 week measurements on Monday. I'm down over 2 inches. This counts limb measurements only once. I don't think I have anything to worry about thus far. Today is just another bounce around on the trampoline.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Down 1.4 lbs since last Wednesday.

Was up higher for quite a bit since last weigh-in, then I happened to increase my fat yesterday and that all "took care of itself," so-to-speak. I've tracked less, thought about it less.

Did have a 'carby' weekend, but still not over my firm cap. Just not as low as my preferred cap. Was eating that cheesecake I made for a few nights and feeling bloated. Things have improved since abandoning it. The actual birthday is this weekend and we're going to hopefully have far less in the way of leftovers.

Monday I returned to "mostly meat." I really do want to do animal foods only, but haven't quite gotten there. Mostly in the form of veggies and nut products.

Starting to suspect I have a nightshade issue. Not sure the effects are enough to get me away from Dan's jalapeño bacon poppers.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Not only am I not logging, but I'm not weighing either. My scale broke this morning. :(

I'll go to the gym later and weigh there. I prefer using their medical-style scale for my "official" weigh ins anyway....
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight 163.8lbs
    Current Wight 164lbs
    Up .2lbs

I am okay with this, I ate a bunch of carbs on Easter so I did not expect to drop this week. Yesterday in fact I was up 2lbs, all water weight, I know it will drop off quickly and I expect to see a drop for next week's weigh in :smiley:
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I wasn't home this morning so I don't have an official weigh in.

However, I ate whatever I wanted (read:was served) at Easter dinner, (lasagna, tiramisu, ice cream, wine and an entire bag of chocolate eggs). I weighed myself on their scale the morning we got there. The next morning registered 8 pounds heavier!! Left this morning and their scale said I was back to pre Easter weight.. So all in all.. pretty good.

Interesting note: I had zero emotinal response to any of the foods. I didn't particularly like or enjoy the chocolates but some how was possessed and had to keep eating them. Weird. I did enjoy the cake and ice cream and wine though I don't feel any cravings or the need to eat them again.

As Sajyana sais, this is the first time in my life I've felt that way. Very weird, and liberating!

Weekly trend: No counting of anything. Not even carbs. I think I'm getting more carbs that before but likely still under 30 most days. I think it's actually doing me good somehow.

I also had two people this week ask if I had lost weight. I've only lost a total of 15lbs (a steady reliable 15, sometimes going lower or higher). But it's only this last week, though no weight loss registered, by body is FEELING different.

I think I should take some measurements.

All in all. A positive week.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/1 weight: 250.2
    4/8 weight: 248.0 (-2.2)

Uhhhhhh. Yeah, that won't last. 5 pound variance during the week, saw 253 one day on the scale too. I was already not counting, but hoping to use this for some accountability to break out of a long period where I've hovered just above/below 250. I had a couple good days, but overall not a good week, despite the ridiculous number on the scale. I didn't meet my goals with food for the week, cooking for myself a little more, avoiding some bingey moments, all of that is still happening and the scale is still bouncing around a lot.

Its fine, and hey, lower number on the scale is always nice, but for me this is more about wanting to tighten up some bad habits more than anything, and I need to work harder at that the rest of the month.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weight 1/4/15 (203.8); 8/4/15 (202.5) (- 1.3)

Marginally exceeded my carb target on two days during the week. Energy levels quite low. Saturated fat levels higher than I would like so an objective for the remaining period would be to get a better balance between saturated and monosaturated fats. Failed in my objective to get more exercise, so that will be another focus point dv.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Weight:
    4/2/2015 247.6 pounds / 112.55 kg
    4/8/2015 242.8 pounds / 110.36 kg
    Difference 4.8 pounds / 2.18 kg / Just under 2% change

(This is mostly water weight that was gained over my extended working weekend, and not a true loss. I've been hanging in around 241.8-242.8, but I know I'm in recovery mode. My body isn't getting larger or anything, so it is possible I'm prepping for a legit loss. @baconslave's weight graph made me nostalgic! That's a lot of what my looks like. I'll drop down a chunk, then slowly gain about half back over 3-6 days, then drop again... It's odd, but it seems to be working.)

I'm been loosely tracking carbs, and not even watching calories at all. Yesterday was definitely under 20 net grams of carbs. I've had some sugar alcohols, but only in gum and less than 10 grams, with no noticeable impact at this time. Bouncing back and forth on Stevia in anything (cutting down slowly).... And getting back to my good habits is slow going. Yesterday was a great water day, and today is a bad one...just seems to go that way.

So Friday - Monday, I ballparked my carbs and know they are under 25... Wednesday and Thursday, I had logged, but I don't really care what the calories column says, so that works... Carbs were under 25 net due to veg. Yesterday under 20 net, 25 total. Today, so far I'm at about 17 grams, so still on target. Since I'm only loosely tracking carbs, this will be a good gauge for me as to how well I'm doing overall....

Win for me? Last night, I wanted some chocolate mousse, which is slightly more in carbs due to the heavy whipping cream, but I ended up having a fat bomb instead and going to bed...
  • gsp90x
    Options
    I wish I could just live on fat bombs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    I wish I could just live on fat bombs.

If you made them sweet and savory and included all your nutrition in them, you probably could! LOL I have a bacon and egg one I want to try, as well as a bacon avocado one! LOL And a Smoked Salmon/cream cheese one, too...
  • gsp90x
    Options
    I find it interesting when you say "all your nutrition". Given that some people eat only meat, some meat, eggs and cheese.... what does that even mean any more?

I did try this thing called Soylent a while back and the non keto version was pretty darned good IMO if you get a good recipe. I may look into the keto version.

I am amassing fat bomb recipes though and your bacon and egg one is intriguing! Do tell!
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I tried the bacon and egg fat bombs and didn't care for them. Ended up throwing them away. But you may like them.