Raw honey??

Options
illmatic7
illmatic7 Posts: 24 Member
Can you have SMALL amounts of honey on keto like a tbsp for tea and stuff?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your carb allotment and plan, sure.

However, you'll probably be better off finding naturally sweet tasting teas or learning to drink tea without sweetener, or use cream instead. That way, too, you can save your carbs for vegetables and whatnot.
  • illmatic7
    Options
    Alright thanks man!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    illmatic7 wrote: »
    Can you have SMALL amounts of honey on keto like a tbsp for tea and stuff?

1 Tbsp is 17g carbs

• illmatic7
    Options
    Yeah hard habit to kick!!! Love me some honey!
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I do, but I waited until I got closer to goal. I use about 5 grams in a dessert I like to make. I use heavy 60 - 90 mL whipping cream, 5g - 16g peanut butter (sugar free), 4-6g honey, and 1mL of vanilla extract (pure with no sugar) and whip it all together into "peanut butter cream". It's delicious and fatty and filling, and I love it. Of course, always fit your macros for the best weight loss and health benefits. I cannot use artificial sweeteners, and refuse to never have something a tad sweet, so this is why I use a bit of honey. It hasn't affected my weight loss that I know of.
  • illmatic7
    Options
    Thanks sljohson! I keep my carbs low and know my limit had a big cup of ice cream before and never left ketosis! A little honey from time to time nothing major just got to remain cautious!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've had to leave it behind as I will crave biscuits afterwards. But I know it's doable for lots of people.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have used pure maple syrup to sweeten certain fat bombs....one tbls per batch, which made twelve servings. Came out to 3g carbs per. And they were incredibly better than the same recipe with stevia in it. Did not cause cravings that I can recall.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    illmatic7 wrote: »
    Yeah hard habit to kick!!! Love me some honey!

If you really love your honey, you might try only using a teaspoon and using a sweetener like liquid stevia to help bring up the sweetness that you're craving in your tea. You'll still get the honey flavor, but the carb load won't be as high. I love honey too, but honestly haven't been using it as much since I started using the liquid stevia drops in my tea.

Here's a chart that looks pretty handy and breaks down the "carbs per portion" data for ya: https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/honey/carbohydrate