Food Intolerances - What to eat?!

Saral2013
Saral2013 Posts: 11 Member
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to go Paleo for a while with some success. My addiction to carbs has been overwhelming, but I've been able to eliminate almost all grains from my diet. I have T2 Diabetes and going Paleo has helped keep my glucose under control so I need to keep doing this.

I won't go into details, but I've had many, many digestive issues for years, which have done a number on my health. For this reason, I had a food allergy/intolerance test done and it turns out that am highly intolerant to ALL dairy, eggs and bananas.

I was already struggling with food because I have a very "sensitive" palate and many foods, especially vegetables, taste terrible to me. I taste metallic, moldy, and sour / bitter flavors in foods that other people find appealing. I tried cooking in batches and freezing portions for lunch, but the taste & smell of reheated food makes me gag. I love fruits but because of the sugar content, I have to limit how much I can have a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am floundering.
Thank you.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Check out AIP. It's a variation of Paleo tailored to people with food intolerances. Also, check out the keto and carnivore ways of eating.

I can relate to being a supertaster (that's the name for people who can taste the bitter in things like greens, coffee, and grapefruit). I can handle some green vegetables, like peppers, broccoli, and lighter lettuces (romaine, bibb, etc), but can't stand kale, and even spinach is kind of borderline. I can't stand grapefruit, and I'm highly picky with coffee.

If you have any vegetables that you can eat and like, then stick with them, but if you don't, then don't sweat it. Humans can actually live on meat alone, and some people thrive on carnivore diets. Since you say "all dairy," I assume butter is out, too? Have you tried ghee/clarified butter? That might be better tolerated, since the usual culprit of dairy allergies and intolerances are the lactose and proteins, which are absent in ghee. If not, that's okay, too, give virgin coconut oil a try (the highest quality you can find). It's a good pairing with red meat.

Check out this blog post on the topic -- http://theprimalparent.com/2011/07/27/the-carnivores-dilemma-a-diet-of-just-meats-and-fats/
  • Saral2013
    Thank you, Dragonwolf. I didn't know there was a name for my picky palate. ;)

I have been concerned with the lack of vegetables in my diet but now feel better after reading that post. I tried ghee, but it probably had some leftover protein because it made me sick. I have increased my meat intake, while trying to stay within my budget, which is very difficult.

I recently discovered Chia Pods and have been eating those, along with some grain-free granola packets for breakfast. I don't know if Chia seeds are paleo but right now, I am just trying to find something to eat. I plan to make my own pods, because they are pricey at the store, and to also make my own grain-free granola.

Again, thank you for your recommendations.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited March 2015
    Chia seeds: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-seeds/#axzz3VzSrE1A3

Is it EVERYTHING that you don't like reheated, or just veggies? If it's just veggies, make your meat up ahead of time (I like hamburgers and breakfast sausages in my lunches) & eat your veggies raw or at dinner.

Definitely check out some of the AIP things - they won't have any dairy or eggs, but you'll have to steer around the bananas (and plantains, probably).

Here's Sarah Ballantyne's list of recipes on her website: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-seeds/#axzz3VzSrE1A3

Out of curiosity, are you allergic to latex or ragweed? Just wondering if you're cross-reactive or just have issues with bananas. This is what I'm talking about: http://latexallergyresources.org/cross-reactive-food
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I live amongst Inuit and while I don't think vegetables "should" be avoided, they don't have to be the focus. BUT, Inuit survived on an animal based diet by eating nose to tail and that even included stomach contents, blood, and fermented meats/fat/organs (aka "rotten"). So for an all animal diet to be ideal and safe, one really must be committed to emulating it entirely.

Eating animal based does not have to cost more because it also usually means you will eat less volume.
  • Saral2013
    Hi Twibbly,
    There are certain veggies I can eat when reheated (asparagus and broccoli). Proteins, tend to be the main problem. Chicken takes on a very unpleasant smell and taste, and even beef tastes off. I will look into the links you posted for ideas.

Hi Akimajuktuq,
    I grew up in another country where we ate a lot of things that are not common in the US so I eat things like oxtail and cow's tongue with no problem - I do hate liver, though.

I force myself to eat vegetables because I worry that eating mainly protein would affect my kidneys - they've already have suffered some damage. I may need to give smoothies a try again, I was able to get all my greens that way. I stopped when I discovered that even almond milk made me sick.

Thank you for your recommendations. I appreciate everyone's support.
  • Saral2013
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are you allergic to latex or ragweed? Just wondering if you're cross-reactive or just have issues with bananas. This is what I'm talking about: http://latexallergyresources.org/cross-reactive-food

I don't believe I'm allergic to latex, and don't know about ragweed. I've had terrible digestive reactions to mango since childhood, and pineapple came up on the results (but it's not something I eat often).

I don't know if I'm developing new intolerances, but I guess it's possible.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Oxtail and tongue are terrific but they do not replace organs (liver, kidney, brain etc). Heart either for that matter.

Yup, too much protein is a BIG problem, which is why I mentioned that if one wants to eat an animal based diet they have to emulate the known animal based diets out there. Inuit diets were high in FAT. They favoured marine mammal fat, blood, bone marrow, and all organ meat, with much lean meat just fed to the dogs. If you aren't eating completely nose to tail I do not recommend a (almost) total animal based diet. Inuit also ate stomach contents, seasonal berries, some sea vegetables etc so there was still some plant foods.

I don't consider nut milks healthy as a daily staple either.
  • Dragonwolf
    Saral2013 wrote: »
    Hi Twibbly,
    There are certain veggies I can eat when reheated (asparagus and broccoli). Proteins, tend to be the main problem. Chicken takes on a very unpleasant smell and taste, and even beef tastes off. I will look into the links you posted for ideas.

Hi Akimajuktuq,
    I grew up in another country where we ate a lot of things that are not common in the US so I eat things like oxtail and cow's tongue with no problem - I do hate liver, though.

I force myself to eat vegetables because I worry that eating mainly protein would affect my kidneys - they've already have suffered some damage. I may need to give smoothies a try again, I was able to get all my greens that way. I stopped when I discovered that even almond milk made me sick.

Thank you for your recommendations. I appreciate everyone's support.

Allow me to introduce you to @FIT_Goat. He's a prominent member of the Low Carber group, and our resident carnivore over there. Feel free to talk to him if going that route seems like something that might work for you.

Eating all meat does not equate to eating all protein. That's actually a myth. The only way that'd be the case would be if you were trying to live on skinless chicken breasts. Get the fattier cuts and eat the pieces of fat instead of cutting it off and discarding it, and you shouldn't have any issue with protein toxicity. @FIT_Goat's protein to fat ratio is actually somewhere around 60-75% fat to 25-40% protein, as I recall.

Also, how do you reheat your foods? The way you reheat them may be the main culprit in the tastes you're getting. If you've been using the microwave, try reheating it on the stove. Fry the meat up with some coconut oil and see how that works. Do a light steam on the veggies in a pot. If you can't reheat it on the stove, try storing and reheating your foods in glass containers, instead of plastic. It may actually be the materials from the containers leeching into the food that you're tasting.
  • wittybelle
    wittybelle Posts: 19 Member
    I agree with dragonwolf on the method for re-heating. I hate microwaved chicken. I recently bought a George Forman and grill my meat and fish in the morning while I dress, so it can be fresh. I don't refrigerate for lunch and it is room temperature and I am happy.

Not sure about the super palate, but In used to hate spinach until my friend's mom made me her spinach. She uses garlic and onions, sautés them in a skillet, then adds about 1/2 cup chicken broth and then adds spinach until it wilts. It is the only way I can eat it.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    While I understand the 'super taster' concept (we're not all born with the same number/proportion of taste buds), I gotta say that 'dislike trumps nutrition' is as much psychological as physiological. When a hunter/gatherer is doing so on an empty stomach, he's not going to turn down a clump of kale if he knows it's edible. He'll eat enough to shut his stomach up, and hope he'll find something tastier next time. We've all become dilettantes - turning up our noses at anything that isn't hyper-delicious instead of eating what we need to thrive/survive.

A lot of foods I disdained pre-paleo have become, if not favorites, at least tolerable because I told myself 'just eat the damned thing'. Besides, we all know that taste buds can be retrained or recalibrated: we notice the inherent sweetness in many 'previously non-sweet' foods once we remove the atomic blast of sugar from our diets, and by the same token many things that SEEM unduly bitter become less so once that sweetness recalibration takes place.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Agree with monkeydharma entirely. We can change our tastes. It can take much effort. I think it's a detriment to health to refuse to push oneself beyond what we are accustomed to, especially in light of how nutrient deficient many of our diets are. It's just as much about what we are NOT eating, as what we are eating (as per Denise Minger in "Death by Food Pyramid).
  • Dragonwolf
    While I understand the 'super taster' concept (we're not all born with the same number/proportion of taste buds), I gotta say that 'dislike trumps nutrition' is as much psychological as physiological. When a hunter/gatherer is doing so on an empty stomach, he's not going to turn down a clump of kale if he knows it's edible. He'll eat enough to shut his stomach up, and hope he'll find something tastier next time. We've all become dilettantes - turning up our noses at anything that isn't hyper-delicious instead of eating what we need to thrive/survive.

A lot of foods I disdained pre-paleo have become, if not favorites, at least tolerable because I told myself 'just eat the damned thing'. Besides, we all know that taste buds can be retrained or recalibrated: we notice the inherent sweetness in many 'previously non-sweet' foods once we remove the atomic blast of sugar from our diets, and by the same token many things that SEEM unduly bitter become less so once that sweetness recalibration takes place.

Supertasters have taste buds that are almost non-existent on others. It's a specific term for the phenomenon of having certain taste buds that pick up bitter compounds in certain foods/chemicals. (See also: http://www.livescience.com/17190-supertaster-nontaster-tongue-evolution.html) We're talking upwards of 10x the number of the bitter-tasting taste buds as a non-taster. It goes way beyond the sensation of sweetness depending on if you're acclimated to a sweet or non-sweet diet.

For example, I'm a supertaster. Not as extreme as the OP (and of a variety that actually likes Cilantro), but I can't stand grapefruit, kale, or brussels sprouts, due to the bitterness I taste in them. I kid you not, until about a year ago, I had no idea that coffee actually had different tastes. Even the flavored coffees all taste the same to me, because the bitter compounds (not just the tannins, the tannin amount doesn't matter, there are other compounds in the coffee that makes it bitter) overpower everything else. It wasn't until I happened upon a concoction based on Mark Sisson's Primal Egg Coffee that just so happened to somehow neutralize those compounds did I know there was any difference between the coffee's I'd had. And it didn't just have to do with quality (though I have since found a local roaster whose espresso I can stand with just cream), because it's like that with every coffee I've tried. Even the artisan ones I can't drink straight.

And trust me, it's not for lack of trying. I tried kale chips, I tried adding it to smoothies. I've tried various brussels sprouts recipes that people raved over (go go Paleo potlucks). Three leaves of kale in my smoothie overpowered the cocoa and nut butter I had in it. Three leaves. In a drink with a final size of about 28oz. The brussel sprouts were still bitter. I'd rather eat a lemon than eat a grapefruit. And I'm the type of person willing to try anything once, and can go "okay, I don't really like this, but I can see how other people could like it," or "it's got some interesting notes and starts off awesome, but I really dislike that aftertaste."

If it's just a matter of "oh, I just don't really care for X," I completely agree that tastes can be changed. I've grown quite fond of both coconut oil and avocado through repeated consumption and experimentation with uses of both. I don't know that I'll ever sit down with a bowl of guac and eat it, but a couple slices on a burger or half of one tossed in a smoothie? Sure.

Being a supertaster is more than that, though. Even with, say, avocados, you can taste an array of flavors and hints and whatnot. Whether you like the thing is pretty much purely mental, and if you have the self-insight, you can pinpoint what you do and don't like about a given food, which gives you the basis to try recipes that might deal with that. The bitter compounds, though? They overpower everything. There is no covering them up (except maybe with sugar). Putting a trigger item into a recipe has an effect similar to putting half a cup of salt into a recipe -- it's all you taste and the dish becomes inedible. Forget eating it straight.

As for your hunter/gatherer example, if that hunter/gatherer was a supertaster, that bunch of kale wouldn't be edible. It's bitter as all hell, and bitter things tend to be toxic (or, more precisely, toxic things tend to be bitter; but when all you have to go on is the bitterness, you tend to err on the side of caution) (http://www.monell.org/news/news_releases/bitter_taste_identifies_poisons_in_foods). The only way he'd know it was edible in some form is if he had a nontaster family member who he saw eat it, and even then, he'd probably question the edibility of it when he tasted it for himself (especially if the two occasions were separated in time).

(Side note - nifty article on our ability to taste bitterness http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-7j.shtml)
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Well, I would have to posit then that 'super taste' is a contra-survival mutation. But whatever. Eat well and prosper! ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Well, I would have to posit then that 'super taste' is a contra-survival mutation. But whatever. Eat well and prosper! ;)

At 25% of the population, I'd say not necessarily (25% are supertasters, 25% are nontasters, 50% are "medium" tasters). Keep in mind that a lot of the vegetables we eat now have been bred to have their more toxic compounds removed and other such alterations.

We don't need kale to survive. Or Brussels sprouts. Or any of the other handful of plants that are commonly supertasting triggers (or any plants, really, but that's a different conversation). Given its low caloric value, the fact that it's bitter to at least part of the population -- which in primitive situations equates to toxic -- it's better to not eat it. That's not contra-survival, that's pro survival in the bigger picture. It does happen to be wrong in these couple of cases, but not necessarily detrimentally so. As one of the articles linked mentioned -- supertasters do better in new environments (higher chance of not consuming toxic foods while trying new foods), while non-tasters do better in known, safe environments (more variety of food available).

Just like some are better at hunting and others are better at gathering, each kind has their role.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Interesting about super-tasters. I'm one of that small percentage of the population for whom a little bit of cilantro makes everything I eat with/afterwards taste like soap. Have tried to learn to like it, but finally just gave up. Before I gave up nightshades, I used to substitute parsley for cilantro in Mexican and Thai recipes, or just left it out altogether.

Funny thing, I like cumin -- isn't that the same plant, just the seeds, or something like that, rather than the leaves? Or am I mixing up two unrelated things?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Cilantro and cumin are different plants. Coriander seeds are from cilantro though.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member

This is me on Paleo. Before I started I disliked or had never cooked many things. Especially Brussels Sprouts. Once I went Paleo, I would buy and cook something different every time I went shopping and to my surprise I have pretty much liked everything. Except Duck. I didn't like Duck.

Also, I didn't read all of the replies, but I am wondering if you have ever looked into Candida overgrowth. Sometimes that can have an effect on your tastebuds. If you cut out the dairy, cut out sugar too for about a month and that would kill off the overgrowth that may be causing off-tastes. That's just a random thought, though. It looks like it might just be a thing. I don't like re-heated plain chicken either. Ew. lol I have to cook my vegetables and some fruits because I am allergic to pretty much anything with a pit or core, and root veggies. Cross-reactive to birch pollen, I think is what that is.

Anyhow that's my two cents' worth - good luck!
  • Saral2013
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

I've been working on some recipes and so far so good. I like smoothies and have been preparing them with frozen berries, spinach or kale, vegan protein powder, collagen peptides, as well as chia seeds. This way, I can have the vegetables, without them tasting bitter, and I get full for a long time.

I also prepared lots of meatballs (without eggs or grains) and have been reheating them in the toaster oven. I eat them as a snack, or for breakfast, with a small sweet potato topped with ghee. This has been working well so far.
  • Saral2013
    Also, I didn't read all of the replies, but I am wondering if you have ever looked into Candida overgrowth. Sometimes that can have an effect on your tastebuds.

I don't have an issue with Candida (thank God!), and I wasn't aware that it could have an effect on tastebuds. Interesting...
  • Saral2013
    wittybelle wrote: »
    I agree with dragonwolf on the method for re-heating. I hate microwaved chicken. I recently bought a George Forman and grill my meat and fish in the morning while I dress, so it can be fresh.

That's a great suggestion. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!