Apr 2015 Challenge ~ Apr 6th - Apr 12th

Options
cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,407 Member
Just in Time For Spring: 28-Day Arm-Sculpting Challenge

Getting started: The challenge consists of five basic exercises that help to target all the areas of your arms. Over the course of the challenge, you will increase the number of reps you're doing of each exercise, eventually working up to three sets of 15 reps for each exercise.
Below is an explanation of how to do each of the five exercises, followed by the plan itself.

Choosing the appropriate size weight is key here — you want one that fatigues your muscles by the end of the three sets. If the challenge ever feels too easy, that's your cue to increase the weight of the dumbbells (and if you find you are fatiguing too early, decrease the weight amount). Beginners should start the plan with five-pound weights, and for you more-experienced lifters, make this challenge work for you by grabbing a heavier set.

Bicep Curl

• Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand at the sides of the body.
• Keeping your elbows close to your side, slowly raise the dumbbells to the chest.
• Moving with control, lower back to the starting position.
• This counts as one rep.

Upright Row

• Place a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body, shoulders over the pelvis, and a slight bend in the knees.
• Keeping the dumbbells close to your body, raise them to your shoulders, bending your elbows out to the sides. Slowly lower them to the starting position.

Triceps Kickback

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand, hinge forward from your hips, bending the knees slightly. Bend your elbows behind you.
• Straighten your arms behind you with your palms facing in. Your arms should be parallel to the floor. Squeeze your triceps, and then return to the starting position.

Overhead Shoulder Press

• Hold a dumbbell in each hand just above the shoulders, palms facing in.
• Straighten the arms above you.
• Bend the elbows coming back to the starting position to complete one rep.

Bent-Over Reverse Fly

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand with your closed palms facing out, stand with the knees slightly bent. Keeping your back flat, bend forward at the hip joint.
• Lift both arms to the sides, maintaining a slight bend in the elbows, and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Then, with control, lower the dumbbells back together.
• This completes one rep.

Week 4 of our Challenge

Choose an appropriate size dumbbell (three to eight pounds) and follow the plan below. Every other day is a rest day to give your muscles a chance to rebuild and become stronger.

Day 22 8 reps of each (3x)
Day 23 Rest
Day 24 8 reps of each (3x)
Day 25 Rest
Day 26 10 reps of each (3x)
Day 27 Rest
Day 28 10 reps of each (3x)

Let me know what you think. Have FUN!!!

Chris

Replies

• claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So the last week is kind of easier? That's great! Haven't been doing this yet, but printed it out as I want to look great in my sleeveless tops!
    Had a great holiday weekend, didn't go too overboard.
    Have a great Monday everyone!
  • cpanus
    Options
    Clara -- this is really the second week's workout. I simply re-posted it. Next week we are doing last week's workout again! We all need to look great in our sleeveless tops!!

Got my 4 miles in this morning then went out with my daughter on some business then some lunch. I have 11,771 steps for 6.24 miles...hmmmm, definitely need more shopping here!!

I have the gym tomorrow morning. DD might be going with me. I'm going to try and get my walking in before I go. We'll see what happens.

Hoping you all had a great Monday!!

Chris
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    Headed to the office this morning then off the remainder of the week. Tennis practice tonight and plan to get the challenge completed.

Have a great Tuesday!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    It's raining in California, in fact it's pouring. Yay hooray!

I'm concentrating on fixing my knee which is complicated. Love this challenge but may not get to it every day if I'm sleeping off a bad PT session.

Thinking of you all! May you have rain or shine, whichever makes your day.
    :flowerforyou: Paula
  • claram5415
    Options
    Paula, just do what you have to do. We're here for you.
    Kathy, have a great week off.
    Chris, hope you get your walking in.
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. Hope everyone had a Blessed Easter and a fabulous weekend.

Hubby and I managed to walk on Friday and it was sooooo nice to be outside. Hopefully the weather will allow some more outside time this week.

Paula so glad to hear you are finally getting rain/snow out there on the West coast. Hopefully it soaks in and helps with the drought. Your PT is first and foremost right now. Clara is right, we have been here over a year so no worries Hun.

Challenge completed x3 and still working on the step challenge.

Good night all

Lynnette
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    Tennis practice for 90 minutes this evening. Bonding with my Godson and his grandmother (my bff) tomorrow. We're taking him to Centennial park in downtown Atlanta to run around and to the new Civil and Human Rights Museum. He's 7 and his favorite subject in school is history. I think he will like this place...very interactive.

I should get in a lot of walking.

Good night!
  • cpanus
    Options
    Hit the gym this morning w/DD. We had a blast with our trainer! She also teaches yoga and has a class Thursday morning that we might go to and see what it's all about. I'm taking a rest day for my walking. I was getting slower and slower in my mph and realized that I'd walked every day for about the past 10 at least. Needed to back off for a little bit.

DD and I zoomed around the rest of the morning and early afternoon. Oh, man, I'm going to be so unhappy next week...she'll be back with her first graders...they are so lucky!! But we do have the next five days to play and mess around!

We have a lunch date with one of her classmates tomorrow and DD is taking me to a new sports shop. That will be fun!

I hope you all had a grand Tuesday and that you have a terrific Wednesday!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,889 Member
    Options
    I did get most of my room back in order. Still need to go through all my dvd's.

Wow I am so glad you all are doing great. I did do good over Easter. Eggs are healthy I hear. I had some of those luscious cadbury ones. B)

Paula history is wonderful for him. I just wish more people would learn our history. History repeats itself. Especially when we ignore it.

I love uou all. Have to run. I promise to be back tomorrow.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    My fanny and arms are sore from yesterday's workout...the four miles I walked this morning were not really that much fun... :# egad! ouch...ouch...ouch...for an hour! Then I went shopping with my DD!! Then to lunch. We had a really nice day!

Tomorrow we have a yoga class we are going to in the morning. That should be interesting since I've never done yoga!!

DH only has two more days of work! That's exciting too!

<3<3

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Yoga. Nice, I think you will like it. <3

Chris my fanny and legs are sore. lol, what a thing to have in common, sore fanny's! ;) Took the boys for a long walk. Ate a sensible dinner. Tomorrow is zumba. Hoping I am not still hurting to bad. :#

Get moving everyone! Warm weather is coming up.

Shelley
  • PaulaKro
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My physical therapist is having me do bridges/clenches. It does bend my knees, but she might have assigned it more because I keep requesting a pillow for under my poor sore bony butt.

I'm doing two (will try to add a third) 2-hr workouts a day. No daily showers though (drought) - thank goodness DH is in same boat. :laugh:

Where does the day go?? 2 hour workout / 2 hour recovery + 2 hour sleep / daily chores & errands / (insert random dumbbells & dips) / walk around / repeat (At least pain is becoming more under control.)

Shelley, There's an app called "Zombie Run" to encourage joggers - have you heard of it? If you don't run fast enough, they catch you and you lose a body part. :noway: Too funny! People have said not to use it at night or in lonely cornfields.

Chris, Yoga classes 40 years ago were so peaceful, we'd often fall asleep on our mat during cool-down. But recently the most strenuous class I've ever taken was "power yoga" which had sweat dripping (pouring) off me the whole time. Hope you get the version you want. Good luck!

Paula :flowerforyou:
  • claram5415
    Options
    Went to the doc, and cholesterol was a bit higher than we like. My husband tells me that what we eat doesn't affect cholesterol that much. He's always reading the latest stuff. But in the past, eating less meat and more veggies/fruit has made my cholesterol go down. So I'm back on the "eating vegan as much as I can" route again. I've been gradually eating more and more goodies so it's time to get back on track. Weight is okay, just have to eat healthier.
    I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.
    Paula, wow, you are committed! And that will help you get better and better!
    Chris and Shelley, hope the fannys feel better today.
    My husband and I are worried about his mom. She's 84 and getting more confused and we're not sure she can continue to live where she is. Hoping she gets better with some medicine, otherwise we're going to have to look into assisted living. She would hate moving and it would not be easy. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers please. Her name is Alta.
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Clara,

High cholesterol runs in my husbands family. His mom takes medicine for it. But Derek's able to keep it under control with a strict diet regimen. Egg whites instead of yolks, soy cheese instead of dairy, fish/chicken instead of red meat. Olive oil and other "good" oils instead of "bad" ones. That kind of stuff. Good luck!

I'll think of your MIL. Best wishes to her!

Paula
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Rest day today but did conquer the step goal. We have some stormy weather coming through again tonight so let's hope it doesn't wake me too often. The other night I woke to a huge boom and tout something had blown up :# surprised DD didn't come running in to get into my bed. She is a hoot.

We are going to her orientation this Saturday at Slippery Rock. I think it is starting to become real for me now that the wheels are churning and it is all getting so close. Graduation in six weeks :'( and :) all at the same time. The girls came over and went through some scrapbooks from when they were all in Girl Scouts together. We found some really cute group shots of them all together from kindergarten/first grade.

Hope everyone is staying dry and warming up.

Time to get some laundry done now.

Lynnette
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Skipped zumba tonight. I tried to cut down on my diet soda. Ended up with a headache. So walked the boys instead. They love me. <3

Clara I am sure I will be told the same thing next month. I actually found a doctor. And he wants the total blood workup! uh oh. Sorry to hear about your MIL. I will keep her in my prayers.

Paula my yoga always had me sweating to. But the end is worth it. I bet that ap would be fun. I bet I would need a cell phone for it. :'(

Lynette you have to be getting so excited. B) I love storms. But Cooper hates them. He snuggles up with me. I should feel guilty for all the extra attention, but I don't! ;) Enjoy. :p

Chris my sore fanny is better! Muahaha

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Clara I'm sorry about your mom.

Paula I didn't get to the yoga class. There is a story behind it but I'll tell it later.

Lynnette when she was younger, I think my DD would probably would have come running and jump into bed with me too!! The visual is so funny!

Shelley all my soreness is gone too!! bwahahah!

Walked with DD and Bean this morning then off by myself. Then we shopped. It was a grand day!! 8.89 miles and 17,569 steps.

Way past my bedtime! :s

Chris
  • claram5415
    Options
    Thanks for the kind thoughts about my MIL. Hoping for best
    Off to family wedding this weekend
    Paula, I am determined to have fun and eat healthy!
  • Finkerbell
    Finkerbell Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I didn't go all the way back but it looks like everyone is doing well. I'm kind of like a bad penny that keeps turning up. You can't get rid of me lol.
    These past couple months have been a little difficult. I'm not allowed to run which is driving me nuts. And I've had no motivation to walk. At least I haven't been gaining a ton of weight.
    Well I figured I would check in and say hi to everyone. I hope you all have a nice weekend :smile:

XO
    Kat
  • PaulaKro
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Kat, Hello! May I ask? When is your baby due? Best wishes!! :flowerforyou: - paula