Bad food makes me feel happy...practical advice for avoiding that pattern?

Options
I don't eat because of stress or sadness, I eat bad food because I like it and it makes me feel good! I don't buy things that I shouldn't eat, but with 3 adults in my household, I'm not always in control of what kind of food is hanging around the house! Any practical advice for avoiding the temptation? Last night is a perfect example. There was a plate of brownies on the counter. I avoided them for like 2 hours, and then ate one. Why did I do that?? How can I improve my self-control?

Replies

• omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Look on the bright side! IMO avoiding a plate of brownies for a whole two hours then only having one is a huge victory in itself! Not a lot of people can manage that.
  • Michelle52801429
    Michelle52801429 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Haha! That is true, I suppose. :)
  • LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The brownies would have been gone by now! That's why I give away most of what I end up baking. After one (or two) pieces, I've had enough; the craving is gone. I then give away what is left, if it can't be frozen. If it can be frozen, in the freezer it goes.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Sweet treats make me happy too. But as I've been making better choices and reducing it overall sugary processed foods, my cravings have been for apples or blueberries and cottage cheese, etc. and I've found sweets that are better for me like Skinny cow ice creams, fiber one lemon bars, crunch protein vanilla bars, etc... If you are a cook or baker I'm sure you can find some recipes with lower calorie or healthier brownies, cookies right? Don't feel bad about enjoying treats, just try to plan and get ahead of your cravings so when they do hit (and you KNOW they will), you'll be prepared with your safe, healthier alternative yummy treats ready to go!
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    That was definitely some willpower to only eat one, and wait that long to do so! I have the cravings sometimes which makes it so difficult... when i'm stressed/upset/etc I tend to eat like fast food, where for sweets, I just crave it. It's such a vicious cycle, but you seem to have some sort of hold on it... baby steps!!! Keep up the good work!
  • idalooses
    idalooses Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    <3 after reading these posts, i think my emotional eating is binge eating on sweets that are available! Like that plate of brownies: i would have eaten the whole bunch of them and it would have made me very happy for only a moment, then quilt and shame would have set in! My kids brought home 2 boxes of ice cream about a week ago, and i managed to not eat any for about 2 days, then the cravings started and i ate out of each box 2-3 times a day until i had it all eaten! So, I'm gonna have to lay down some rules about NO FURTHER SWEETS IN THE HOUSE AT ALL until the day comes that i no longer relate happiness with sweet stuff! WONDER how long that will take?? :/
  • honeyscone
    honeyscone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love this discussion! I think many of us suffer from this shame pattern--deny ourselves, then cheat, then shame for cheating, and then a continued pattern of binging! I've only lost a few pounds, but what has been motivating me right now has been exercise, avoiding sweets/bread in the house if I can, and having low sugar/low carb alternatives for myself in the house.

It first began when I started working out semi-regularly. I started noticing changes in my body--such as a slimmer neck and arms--and that alone motivated me! I hadn't really changed my eating all that much, but once I started seeing the changes and feeling more strong and motivated that I could do it, I became more aware about what I was eating. I wanted to see more results!

I decided to get rid of all the bad sweets in the house and replace them with healthy-ish alternatives: sugar-free jello, angel food cake, fat free whipped cream, fruit, meringues. I also lowered my carb intake and bought low-carb bread and tortillas. That way, I could enjoy the same meal everyone else is having, except have it with less calories. I also bought a spiralizer--its a grater that makes noodles from zucchini. I love the zucchini noodles with pasta sauce, mozzarella, and a little real pasta!! Mmmmm.
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I will try to answer your question, although I don't have very good luck doing what you're trying to do. Try to find something else to do. Try writing down the reasons you aren't going to eat the brownie and why. Write down your goals and what you're trying to accomplish. It's just another way to make that message travel to the brain.

I do tend to agree with most of the posts. I rarely deny myself something I really want simply because it's not realistic. But if you really don't want it, it's simply a matter of you aren't going to do it. And when you really don't want it, it seems to be pretty easy.