Low Carbing and Pregnancy

Options
LunaKate
LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
After losing 10lbs since switching to keto in March I have just confirmed I am 7 weeks pregnant :) For now I have simply increased my calories to 1800/day as recommended by a pregnancy calorie calculator.

The problem is I dont know what I should aim for now in carbs. Some people say keto is perfectly fine as long as you eat enough calories, some say keto could cause a fetus to be mentally retarded or that you wont have enough energy in labor.

This blogger says its completely healthy: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/keto-pregnancy/

WebMD: Low-carbohydrate diets, such as Atkins and the South Beach Diet, are very popular. There have been no studies of the effects of a low-carb diet on pregnancy, so its effect on the fetus, if any, are unknown. While you are pregnant, you should eat a balanced diet, from all of the food groups.

A Dr. Michael Fox who specializes in infertility and uses a LCHF diet to help patients conceive promotes LCHF through pregnancy and says it also helps with Hyperemesis Gravidarum; extreme, persistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy that can lead to dehydration, which I suffered from in my last pregnancy. (It was horrible!) Not only that but he claims it also helps with moodiness and cravings too. cureality.com/blog/post/2010/06/06/low-carb-gynecologist.html

But almost everything on google search says just not to do a LCHF diet while pregnant.

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Almost everything on google search will tell you that you shouldn't do a LCHF diet the rest of the time, either.

I'd vote for go with your body & keep the processed & refined stuff out. In all of the reading I've done (and I've done quite a bit), I've seen absolutely nothing that says LCHF would be bad for a pregnancy as long as you're still eating enough (I wasn't specifically looking for that, as I haven't been pregnant and don't plan to for quite some time, but I have a theory that if something either makes you more fertile or aids in childbearing, it can't be bad for you, so I do pay attention).
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've also read some ZC anecdotes about pregnancies free of morning sickness, and very easy deliveries. Plus if you're already controlling your sugar cravings by keeping your carbs under a certain limit, you can probably enjoy a reduced pregnancy weight gain.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/KetoBabies/search?q=ketobabies&sort=relevance&restrict_sr=on&t=all

I dont know how helpful that will be. I got pregnant last July and I started eating more carbs because 'everyone' said so and I gained almost 20 lbs in 2 weeks. I had only increased my carbs to 100g a day, not a like I was at 300g a day or anything. I ended up miscarrying a few weeks later (hormone issues not Keto/LCHF or carbs), but I saved that link just in case lightening struck again. I'd like to keep my carbs low so I dont blow up weight wise again and keep my risk of gestational diabetes low.

But Id research and talk to your doctor/ob gyn/midwife and make your own decision. Ive seen anecdotal stories that women who Keto during pregnancy had perfect babies. But I know doctors and others say the babies need glucose to grow their little brains. Because babies will take from the mom's bodies anything they need, I dont know what to think really.
  • NurseJilly76
    NurseJilly76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Following.... Very curious as to what you find out, and hear. I had gestational diabetes with my first (and only) pregnancy and ended up needing insulin. I actually lost about 5lbs throughout the pregnancy, and ate a fair amount of carbs. Weird.
  • owencassie
    owencassie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have an 8 month old little boy now.

When I was pregnant, I was overweight (still am, but you know...) and I was gaining quickly. My OB recommended starting LC. (He also recommended going lowfat while doing it, but I didn't. I did some research and he has a side business that promotes the HCG diet so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.) So I stuck to LC for pretty much my entire pregnancy and passed my GTT with flying colors.

I also only eneded up gaining 23lbs and am now back on LC and well below my prepregnancy weight.
  • ruthieo7
    ruthieo7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a Facebook group for low carb and pregnant mums. Quite popular i have heard. If you are interested i can ask around for the name.
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Women who are diagnosed with gestational diabetes are often placed on a low carb diet during pregnancy. As long as you ensure you're getting the proper nutrients (take your prenatals!) you'll be fine :D Congratulations!
  • melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was morbidly obese when I got pregnant. With twins :) developed GD at 30 weeks. I was on a 10-15g carb breakfast/dinner, 30g lunch, 10g or less snack. Granted it may have been different bc of multiples but that was my guideline to follow. I stuck to fruits, whole grains, veggies.

The "good" carbs are essential for the growing babies body and brain development. Avoid processed foods.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    plumwd wrote: »
    Women who are diagnosed with gestational diabetes are often placed on a low carb diet during pregnancy. As long as you ensure you're getting the proper nutrients (take your prenatals!) you'll be fine :D Congratulations!

Agreed. I had GD with my last kid. I was low-carb for the last half of the pregnancy. And LCHF while breastfeeding him for 21mo. He's tall, smart and healthy. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone LCHF 17 years ago and done all my pregnancies on this WOE.

Congrats, btw!
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! I actually tracked down a doctor who promotes LCHF for infertility and PCOS and emailed him. Hopefully I will hear back and I'll let you all know what he recommends.

Alliwan Im so sorry for your loss, I miscarried as well in December at 10 weeks.

I think from what Ive read and the advice given here that LCHF is perfectly fine during pregnancy and I will increase my carbs just a little, about 40-60g/day, and make sure the carbs are from healthy foods, like sweet potatoes, veggies, and a little whole grains, like oatmeal. No bread, sweets, processed foods, etc. :smiley:
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posing your question. I am hoping to get pregnant soon and everyone's feedback has been helpful. Congratulations. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've done a ton of research abd it seems safe. I'm planning on pregnancy soon enough, and am actually waiting to see if af is late. Congrats!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I came across this on Mark's Daily Apply today. It doesn't really address guidelines for pregnancy, but still pretty cool anyway. http://www.ketotic.org/2015/03/meat-is-best-for-growing-brains.html
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I ate a high protein, relatively low carb (gluten-free without using too many of the starchy replacement foods) diet during my last pregnancy. I had horrible morning sickness with my first two pregnancies, but with the help of protein it wasn't nearly as bad with my third. I also had a 3-hour labor the third time... Personally I think that fat and protein are more important than carbs for baby development... If I were to get pregnant again I would probably stay LCHF.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I was keto prior to my two pregnancies but did not continue while expecting. I think I could but took the easy way out. But I thought I'd let you know that I've in ketosis for 5 weeks and breastfeeding. Baby is doing great and I honestly feel my breast milk is richer this time compared to last. Also no problems with supply as long as my calories stay above 1700.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh and congratulations!!!!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I do recall my midwife freaking out that I had ketones in my urine with my daughter. I don't recall why now, but I remember it was a bad thing.

I suppose it depends how low carb you are? I had gestational diabetes and was not on what I would call low carb compared to what I do now, but it was about 150g per day.