Week 6.5 update

Options
MandaLeigh123
MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Still just sharing this for those curious, not bc I'm worried. The last two weeks my weight has finally been over 145lbs. Been weighing every few days just to watch fluctuations & bc I thought I was close to TDEE. Weight has been all over the place from 147-153. My scale doesn't seem totally accurate & I've been eating lots of carbs, having a decent amount of school stress & eating a lot of sodium (also vacation for 6 days where I was totally guessing calories). My tight pants that loosened slightly after starting EM2WL tightened back up plus some in the last two weeks (not related to my menstrual cycle). My last round of body measurements were all basically the same as the month before. None of this bothers me but its finally a cue that I've gone over my TDEE I believe. I'm still comfortable with my activity level with cardio and strength training. I like that I'm getting stronger and can still go run and walk for miles- I like being versatile. It suits my personality (jack of many trades, master of none) and it's okay with me.

So whats up with my calories right at the moment you might be wondering? Well, I'm going off roading a little and giving myself a really wide calorie level to play with for a little while. 2450-2900 is my daily goal. I think my TDEE is right around 2900. 2450 is a 15% caloric deficit. I'm giving this huge window so I can stop feeling stressed out. If I end up eating low one day, I know I at least need to get myself up to 2450, one way or another. If I end up eating 2900 every day, my guess is my weight will stay the same. If I'm under this number in any form, if my numbers are right, my weight would go down a little, even if it's not much. Even at 2,755 that would be a 5% deficit. Maybe if I spend more time in this window, I can up my my level of comfort eating these calories. I just want to restate that I LOVE eating more. Right up to about 2400 calories, I can just nom nom nom. The weekends too, I can blow past 2900/3,000 if I need to. But on a daily basis, 2900 calories is a lot more challenging than I thought it would be. I wonder if it would behoove me in the future just to eat, within reason--- up to 1000 extra for the weekend. So then to balance out my weekly calories, I would only need to subtract 1000 calories over 5 days. So TDEE 2900. Weekends, 3400 and weekdays 2700... the numbers then balance out but then I don't know if I'm giving my body the nutrition it needs to heal from my workouts. Probably doesn't. Imma work in progress :wink:

My goal right now isn't to lose weight, but I certainly am not in the mood to be gaining weight either. I am going to see how this goes for a week and reassess! If I go over 2900 that's okay too, just as long as I balance out by the end of the week. My schedule gets more hectic by the day, and food planning has gone out the window. Finals are the second week in May, and I'll be able to get on a better schedule after that. It's just part of nursing school and I knew this signing up to go back to school in my 30's. It's worth it to me.

Lots of NSV's (non-scale victories for anyone new!):
Been increasing my bench press every time I go into to bench the last two weeks. I think my body likes all of these calories! Started in August chest pressing 10lb dumbells. Moved up to the bar 7 weeks ago, 45lbs. Then went from 50/55lbs up to 70lbs in the last two weeks.
Been working on correcting the form of my push-ups. I had been able to bang out 20 standard push-ups in November, but then when I fixed my form, I had to go back to my knees. Three weeks ago, got up to 5 sets of 20 knee push ups with correct form. This week, was able to do 3 standard, toe push-ups before dropping to my knees.
My bicep actually just looks better and stronger now, probably from the things I mentioned above. I'll have my arm and the table and see it poking out. It's pretty sweet.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. I'm probably going to to stop posting my progress all of the time but I will try to let you all know here in the forums how its going a month from now. I know I'm not doing this exactly the way I'm supposed to. Not following any recommendations to the T, but I've made a lot of progress and I am happy with the direction I am headed.

Here are links to my posts since I started....
Struggle hitting the 3,000 calorie mark:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10129033/the-eating-3-000-calories-a-day-woahs#latest
Week 5ish Update
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10125614/week-5ish-update-em2wl-rip-the-band-aid-attempt-to-find-tdee#latest
Week 2 update
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10111627/two-week-update-for-anyone-curious#latest
Whats my activity level?
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10108212/5-6x-week-strenuous-activity#latest

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Love it! It's all about making it work for you and your life ... and you're doing it!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you for all of your updates! Have you checked your measurements throughout the process? I'm curious about the whole EMTWL movement and I love that you're making gains in strength in your workouts. I'd like to eat more and maintain the same weight, as long as I'm losing inches...
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    My one month measurements are the same as previous month. My goal right now isnt decreasing my size or losing inches- its fixing my messed up relationship with food & the scale. I wouldnt expect in four weeks to loose any inches though when I have more than doubled my calorie intake. My metabolism is repairing itself atm
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    Update on bench- 3 days after 70lb bench, I pushed up to 80lb! 1600-2200 calories helped me go faster and longer with cardio. 2200-3000 helped me gain strength much more quickly.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your comments :) I'll be following your progress going forward as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You better keep updating girl!

Your example shows what could be possible. Obviously genetics and other current stresses can change the game for others, but it's still encouraging to see.

Dang, 10 lb increase in 3 days on bench. Even if improved form was half of that, still.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    That's so great! I did 5x5 yesterday and sadly, my OHP is still weak. Tried for 55lbs and had to go down to 50. Last week I did chest press 5 reps at 80lbs, though. I hope that I can do the full 5x5 at 80 this week. I'm only eating 2000 calories, though.
  • IronJill2015
    IronJill2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
    I'm following you all the way!
    Love the thought you had about finding people with the same mindset... I'm right there... enough with that nonsense DIETing THING!!!
    Wow, you just made my day Manda... thanks again!!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Please continue with your updates, this is so encouraging for so many of us.

You're blazing your own path, and succeeding. <3