Replies

• MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I should add chromium.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    One week binge free. Having fun on vacation.
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I will be adding DLPA to the 5-HTP/L-Glut. Chromium delivered today to use with L-Glut for cravings. So far, so good. Absolutely notice a difference. I did overeat yesterday, but I account that to running the marathon and restocking the fuel stores.

The L-Glut & 5-HTP combo is really helping my urge to graze on cereal and night eat.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow MDAPebbles67 good for you! Looking forward to hearing about how you managed to stay binge-free on vacation.
  • Dennis4766
    Options
    I've now done this for slightly more than 1 week. No binges. I have night eaten, but not nearly as often nor as much. Taking L-Glut, 5-HTP, DLPA. Also taking her recommended Multi-Vitamin, B-Complex, Omega-3, Chromium, Calcium w/ D. I've taken the full profile for 1 day now that all has arrived. I've also been off prozac now for 5 days.

Noticed:
    Calmer, more relaxed.
    Very slight headache.
    Less urge for cereals / carbs. I've never really urged sweets.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    I have continued to take the aminos. My eating on vacation was better than on past trips. I did have a few binges, but they were more by choice than compulsion. I was staying in a place where junk food was readily available.

I am back home and ready to seriously get back to the experiment.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I also read on some blog on the internet that taking certain amino acids cured the binge eating of a person...unfortunately I do not remember the blog any more...
    I am also very curious about your experiment! Especially the side effects would interest me as of course no one would like to take these amino acids and get other health problems..
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Did you or anyone else talk to your GP about possible side effects of taking those amino acids already? Or to the pharmacist (hehe that gives me the idea to go to walgreens and ask there..)?
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    I know a book called "The hunger fix" which is much about eating certain foods and food combinations in order to fix that brain chemistry problem by building the amino acids (but not all of them are buildable through food I heard because some nutrients do not pass the blood-brain-barrier)...anyway I do not want to spread my "half-wisdom" here-I just wanted to support and motivate your experiment and look forward to its outcomes!!!
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    Thanks Tatarataa,

Amino Acids are not dangerous per se because our body takes them out of the foods we eat. If a body is severely out of balance, amino acid therapy may be necessary for a period of time. Once the body is back in balance and a good whole food eating plan is regularly followed, the amino supplements should be dropped. The trick is knowing when.

If one takes the amino supplements for too long when no longer needed, the person may experience symptoms that mimic those they felt before taking the supplements. I will be taking breaks in the amino therapy every 4-6 weeks. Then I plan to lower the dosage upon restart.

Before I can do that, however, I need to get in a solid period of clean eating. Vacation was not clean although I had fewer binges. : )
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    Just reporting in...I have had five binge free days since I came back from vacation. I am heading into my first period since I started this protocol. It will be interesting to see how many binges I have. Even when my BED is under control, I have issues at that time of the month.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    Had some fabulous no binge victories on Friday where food was left alone with me twice and I did not eat it. Lol

Sadly, Yesterday was a total binge day from beginning to end. Today, I feel in control.

So, I have to conclude that the aminos do not prevent bingeing for me, especially during high emotional or hormonal times, but they do give me a lot more clean days.
  • Dennis4766
    Options
    I've done the full profile now for approx 2 weeks, and almost 3 weeks with most supps. I can report 1 binge, but I had far more control during that binge, ate far less, and even questioned whether it was a true binge in the sense BED is medically defined. And even that was at a time where I had quit taking prozac because of the 5-htp. I now am taking both, but I hold off on 5-htp until later in day.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    Excellent!

I am still having trouble with those "special occasion" times.

Early Sun morning I had a binge because we went to the drive in for a double feature and we got home at 1 am. I was exhausted and started binging instead of falling into bed.
    Sunday during the day I was still suffering from lack of sleep, so ate badly to feel better. Then Sun night I had a party to attend and said "Oh well, might as well eat everything." Most of these binges seem like choices. No?

Today, I am fine. No cravings. No binge ideation. Hope the evening goes as well.
  • Dennis4766
    Options
    Stopped Cold - I was coming home from a long day at work. The binge beast was on the prowl. I was moderately hungry & stomach was growling. I stopped at a gas station and picked up some high protein snacks. I wanted to grab the refined carbs but I stuck with high protein snacks. I consumed some beef jerky. Got home. Took my full and recommended amino / supplement profile. Decide to surf the binge. Not 10 minutes later, after I had taken the supps, the binge beast was quieted. My mind is clear, my self is at peace. I'm beginning to think this is more than a placebo affect, but perhaps there is something really to this.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    I am plugging along with the amino protocol.

I am currently trying to get my eating program in line. Sometimes I do not eat enough good food.

I definitely have had the experience of the binge monster being stopped by the supplements.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    This will likely be my final post on this thread simply for lack of anything new to say.

The amino acids have proven to be an excellent tool to have in my arsenal. Coupled with a good nutrition program, counseling and emergency binge avoidance tactics, binges have been much less frequent.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    That's really great to hear - I'm very happy for you.

Please do keep us updated. I am curious to know if the benefits last, and what happens as the dosage reduces.
  • hawkeyesgirl24
    hawkeyesgirl24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on l-tyrosine, l-glutamine, DLPA, and chromium as well as several other aminos and Omegas recommended by Ross for over a week. I can stop at 1 hershey kiss, but I am even experiencing that I hesitate even eating that. I have switched to preferring lean dairy and watery veggies over everything else right now. It's simply amazing, a week without craving Diet Coke, frappuchinos, etc. and processed carbs. To simply be free of the mental obsession of these and the compulsion to find them is wonderful!!!! I am using the Mood Cure more at this time than The Diet Cure recommendations.