A reminder of why I choose low carb

13»

Replies

• supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    edited April 2015
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    supergirl6 wrote: »
    I have two big reasons that keep me motivated.

1. I have rosacea, which means my face reacts strongly to almost anything (makeup, lotions, cleansers etc) as "invaders." I get what looks like an allergic reaction - little red bumps and itchiness. Before keto I had to take daily antibiotics to control this and use medicated lotion, neither of which worked that well. On keto my face NEVER breaks out in bumps or flushes red. I haven't taken the medication in almost 2 years since being on Keto and only use the lotion sometimes because my skin is never dry anymore.

2. I have a terrible sensitivity to gluten. I would usually get nausiated and throw up within 30 minutes of eating gluten heavy foods. Sadly this reaction did not always deter me from eating pizza, pasta, cupcakes, etc because of those insane cravings. I would often get sick 3-5 times a week from eating carby gluteny food. On keto this NEVER happens. I haven't felt sick in almost 2 years. I never get sick, never FEEL sick, never experience weird bloating, and best of all never experience those crazy cravings that defied logic.

And yay for never having to obsess over the scale numbers! Trusting a WOE to work and actually SEEING it work is pretty awesome.

Your 1 may actually be a result of your 2. There a type of dermatitis called dermatitis herpetiformis that's associated with gluten sensitivity. It looks like what you're describing.

Quite possibly! Although my little red bumps were more like dots than blisters and the itching wasn't crazy intense, more like dry skin itchiness and only on my face, though it could present on people differently. But otherwise it sounds very similar. My #1 showed up about 2 years before my #2 started and it took forever for my doctor to consider a gluten allergy as the problem to my #2, not until after a lot of tests. That was what started me down the keto path in the first place because it seemed like an easier, more enjoyable way to avoid gluten. It was a wonderful surprise when it cleared everything else up too!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Huh, that is awesome! I have rosacea as well, but keto has not helped it in the slightest sadly.
  • the_baroness
    the_baroness Posts: 9 Member
    Every day I realize I'm not bloated like I ALWAYS was before. :) I'm so glad I started the LCD. It has made me feel ten times better, and I have more energy!!! :) I actually stay awake in class now!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Just made the "Holy Grail" or "Fathead" pizza for the first time !

I made that twice in three days :) its my new favorite thing and tastes sooooo good. I made it for my family on saturday and no one complained. Now they are all used to alternative preparation methods as most in my family have food allergies or intolerances, but my six year old nephew didn't even complain about it. My bf ate like three pieces and he's a pizza snob.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Every day I realize I'm not bloated like I ALWAYS was before. :) I'm so glad I started the LCD. It has made me feel ten times better, and I have more energy!!! :) I actually stay awake in class now![/quote

same here, i used to get tired, like clockwork at 3 pm, i'd look at the clock and be like ope must be three cuz i feel like a zombie. now i fly right through not even thinking about what time it is
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Even tho I havent lost any weight since October of last year, i now can zip and button my washed jeans standing up.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Bacon, butter, cheese, feeling satisfied and not deprived. ( I do eat veggies too though).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    radiii wrote: »
    Huh, that is awesome! I have rosacea as well, but keto has not helped it in the slightest sadly.

If grains are the cause, and you're still fitting grains in (low carb tortillas come to mind), even if it's only a couple times a week, then it won't.

I ended up with a case of "contact dermatitis" that I found wasn't "contact" at all, but related to my diet. Even with only a serving or so a day for 2 or 3 days in a row of wheat after it clearing, I would get a flare up, and it would always take a month of perfect abstinence for it to clear up.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    gerrielips wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread. My weight loss seems to be slowing down, but I feel so much better when eating LC...needed the reminder!

YES, me too!!

Moi aussi. I ate noodles on Friday night, some chocolate covered almonds Saturday and a shortbread cookie. Woke up Sunday with my hip bones aching from the arthritic inflammation! Everytime I overindulge in sugar or wheat, that happens and reminds me to get back on my bacon and butter....
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Sajyana wrote: »
    We had pizza last night. My sister and her hubby ate their pizza and then complained about being bloated, full and uncomfortable. They had dessert on top of that and complained some more. I ate the toppings of mine and was full but not bloated and not uncomfortable. ;) Totally worth it to leave the crust in the box.

The great thing is you feel like you had pizza! All the flavor is in the toppings anyway!!!