carbs on a cut.

Options
How is everyone. I'm 21 5'7 male. I've been on a cut for about 10 weeks. I started at 180 and currently weigh 165. My current macros are 45 F 183 C and 190 P...my question is how much lower should I decrease my carbs. I want to be pretty lean at about 150lbs. Right now my abs slowly starting to show however I still have significant fat in my abdominal region.

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    So if you are losing 1.5lbs per week average, then stay with what you are doing or even better yet, slow things down a bit (unless there is a reason like a competition, etc... for continuing to be aggressive). Looks like you are fairly lean to begin with, so averaging down to about .7-1lbs a week weightloss will be "healthier".
  • kriegmeister
    kriegmeister Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally think 150g carbs is the most anyone needs unless your on HRT.
  • cajuntank
    Options

^^Makes no sense whatsoever.
  • kriegmeister
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Do you need me to explain it for you "tank"? For the most part, unless your on a cycle (Hormone Replacement Therapy - ie. On a steroid cycle) your body can only use so many carbs. I have found 150g to be the upper limit for most people. If you need me to break down the physiology then just ask....
  • cajuntank
    edited April 2015
    Options

Do you need me to explain it for you "tank"? For the most part, unless your on a cycle (Hormone Replacement Therapy - ie. On a steroid cycle) your body can only use so many carbs. I have found 150g to be the upper limit for most people. If you need me to break down the physiology then just ask....

Please do, siting credible sources mind you. I am always open to new information.
    However, I am not seeing how an active individual, whose daily maintenance of over 3000+ calories, who needs immediate access to energy for work and/or training can be just arbitrarily lumped into needing only 600 calories out of 3000+? If I'm a runner and burn through 1000 calories a day in carbs, how is 600 calories enough? If I'm training to add muscle and my maintenance is 3000 calories, your stating I need to eat 2400+ calories in protein and fat? Why would I want to eat that much fat when I could eat more carbs which are the body's preferred energy substrate and are immediately available for training? If I'm cutting and I am getting enough protein and fat, why would I want to cut carbs further if I didn't need to? I am not saying that there is not a % of people whose calories would work out to where 150g of carbs is needed (depending highly on their activity), but you said "for most people".
    Please enlighten me.
  • kriegmeister
    Options
    I'm not going to cite information and do a research paper. In the context of bodybuilding and carbs, not running or any other type of activity, OP asked about carb reduction.

I replied that I thought 150g was as much people need, which indicates he would be fine cutting 33g of carbs out. I've seen guys run ketogenic diets 14 weeks out from a show, other times guys need to do that to drop the last couple pounds of fat. If the OP is more ectomorphic then high carbs would be appropriate.

Bodybuilding is WAY more intricate than CICO or any other type of training.

• cajuntank
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bro-science much? Somatotype dieting is dis-proven as no one is 100% a endomorph or ectomorph, etc... Losing weight is 100% dictated by calories in vs calories out. OP was losing in a good range already to maximize muscle retention. Having him cut calories further thus shifts toward a higher propensity to lose more muscle than needed.
    You are the one that made claims, yet if you don't back up your information, you are doing no one any good. But I will provide you and the OP with links on several series as well as information from the lead people in the bodybuilding field you so boldy reference that hopefully will provide you and others with some more scientifically based info than the bro-sciences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
    http://evidencemag.com/fat-loss-podcast/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szzo5Uy5aQU
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-talks-with-simplyshredded-com.html
  • kriegmeister
    Options
    Bro-science much? Somatotype dieting is dis-proven as no one is 100% a endomorph or ectomorph, etc... Losing weight is 100% dictated by calories in vs calories out. OP was losing in a good range already to maximize muscle retention. Having him cut calories further thus shifts toward a higher propensity to lose more muscle than needed.

Somatotypes are absolutely an effective way to get an idea of how a body might respond to certain macro breakdowns. Anyone who has spent enough time training people and bodybuilding will say so. Is it 100%? Absolutely not, but nothing is.

I also like how you make all these assumptions of the OP's intent. How do you know it was in a good range? Maybe it has stalled and thats why he's asking about carbs.

I gave an opinion and you responded with "makes no sense" because you clearly didn't know what HRT was. For every video you post as "evidence" we could find two contradicting it. Dude, you don't know what your talking about.

OP - If and when you feel fat loss is slowing down, feel free cut carbs slowly each week until your back on track. Make sure calories don't get too low and you may want to adjust your cardio accordingly. Sorry your thread got highjacked.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Somatotypes are absolutely an effective way to get an idea of how a body might respond to certain macro breakdowns. Anyone who has spent enough time training people and bodybuilding will say so. Is it 100%? Absolutely not, but nothing is.

I also like how you make all these assumptions of the OP's intent. How do you know it was in a good range? Maybe it has stalled and thats why he's asking about carbs.

I gave an opinion and you responded with "makes no sense" because you clearly didn't know what HRT was. For every video you post as "evidence" we could find two contradicting it. Dude, you don't know what your talking about.

OP - If and when you feel fat loss is slowing down, feel free cut carbs slowly each week until your back on track. Make sure calories don't get too low and you may want to adjust your cardio accordingly. Sorry your thread got highjacked.

Well here's my deal which is kind of why I see tank has a problem with this

1) The OP wants to be 150 lbs at 5'7 and is asking advice on a bodybuilding forum. Most bodybuilders and even some fitness models (kind of short for that but oh well) at that height are around 165-190 stage ready at 5-8% body fat (and yes I am talking natural body builders). That means your smallest guy has a LBM of 157 minimum. I would say he should bulk again after this cut to get more mass but oh well his goals are his goals.

2) Most macro breakdowns I have seen have tended to go the way of carbs=protein when trying to cut (yes I do agree you can cut some carbs if you are looking to cut). Based on his goal weight stats, his BMR is 1644. With that said, if he did not get out of bed and did absolutely nothing and was on a 40-40-20 (C-P-F) he needs 164 grams of carbs...this is already breaks the cap of your 150 gram claim we are not even at regular exercise let alone necessities for bodybuilding. Now you can mess around with ratios yes (35% carbs with put you at 144 a day) but if he is looking to keep his strength while cutting, he needs his carbs for energy.

If you brought up carb cycling, we probably could get down with your 150 g carbs on certain days but even then is there really much of a difference? Not really because calories in vs calories out wins. Tank makes the best point because if he doesn't have enough carbs then the body is going to burn protein, which is valuable protein he needs to retain muscle mass during heavy lift days while losing the last of the fat he wants to lose.
  • cajuntank
    edited April 2015
    Options

By golly, you have convinced me just by your word alone. ;) To heck with science and studies by industry leaders and Dr.'s of fitness and nutrition. I cannot argue with your astounding evidence you have provided...oh, that's right...you have not, not one shred.
    Obviously you are trolling as I honestly cannot believe you believe the stuff you mention, so it makes no sense to continue to argue with you. You have just made the world a little more ignorant for your efforts.

So go ahead and reply so you can get the last word in and throw out some more bro-science...that's about all you have contributed to this conversation.
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

By golly, you have convinced me just by your word alone. ;) To heck with science and studies by industry leaders and Dr.'s of fitness and nutrition. I cannot argue with your astounding evidence you have provided...oh, that's right...you have not, not one shred.
    Obviously you are trolling as I honestly cannot believe you believe the stuff you mention, so it makes no sense to continue to argue with you. You have just made the world a little more ignorant for your efforts.

So go ahead and reply so you can get the last word in and throw out some more bro-science...that's about all you have contributed to this conversation.

Hi is there any chance you can look at my profile and see if my diet is ok. Am training 5/6 times a day.i get confused about all the numbers. I feel well not hungry.. My strength has gone down alittle. Am trying to get lean down thanks
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi is there any chance you can look at my profile and see if my diet is ok. Am training 5/6 times a day.i get confused about all the numbers. I feel well not hungry.. My strength has gone down alittle. Am trying to get lean down thanks