Suggestions for my new shopping list

Options
Chrysalid2014
Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
I'm just starting with LCHF, and my shopping list is full of things I haven't been "allowed" to eat for the past 25 years (my mouth is watering just looking at it!) and all of my staples (low fat dairy, fruit, lean meats) are crossed off the list. This is very strange... I can see I'm going to have to get into a completely new way of thinking. (:-)

Any suggestions for additions would be welcomed. So far I've got:

Peanut butter (no added sugar)
Smoked mackerel
Coconut milk
Chicken thighs
Bacon
Fillet steak (or is this too lean?)
Brazil nuts
Almonds
Avocados
Olives (in oil)
Olives stuffed with feta cheese/almonds (in oil)
Full fat greek yogurt
Sour cream
Clotted cream
Cream cheese

(plus the usual):
Butter
Eggs
Salmon
Olive oil
Berries
Vegetables (not root - are eggplants/aubergines allowed?)

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter isn't worth the calorie/carb/satiety trade-off for me, but YMMV.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,053 Member
    Options
    You could still eat your filet mignon, and put some butter on it... Why not add some ground beef in there too, and fattier cuts of meat, and what about pork ? Save your bacon fat to cook with.

I personally have to watch my nut intake so that I don't gain weight. Macadamias are good.

Look for low GI veggies. You should be able to work some eggplant into your diet, depending on what you are aiming for with your carbs. Same goes for the berries. I save some carbs to have my berries, but they can really add up if you're not careful.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Brazil nuts .... I would substitute Walnut instead, add avacado, salsa, beef sticks, coconut oil, more bacon...
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I thought of some more too: mayonnaise; pesto, hummous (I think?), pumpkin and sunflower seeds...
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I keep heavy whipping cream and a block of extra sharp cheese on hand to shred - I can make several awesome sauces with these two ingredients in a pinch, or up the fat on something I've already made. I also keep Frank's Hot Sauce on hand as a condiment. I love it on shredded chicken for quick buffalo chicken lettuce wraps. Yum!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Oh yeah.... I can have cauliflower cheese again, with bacon! I haven't heard of Frank's Hot Sauce (I'm in the UK) but they have Levi Roots Reggae Reggae Sauce in my local supermarket.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My basic shopping list:
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Heavy Cream
    Cheese
    Butter (Kerrygold!)
    Coffee
    Tea
    Pork (whatever's on sale)
    Chicken (whatever's on sale)
    Sausage (NOT garbage cuts - look for the ones made at the butcher's with choice cuts of pork shoulder / butt and no added sugar or other fillers)
    Frozen Broccoli
    Frozen Spinach
    Unsweetened vanilla almond coconut milk
    Mayonnaise with no sugar added
    Macadamia Nut Oil
    Olive Oil
    Coconut Oil

The items above are all things I make sure I have in my fridge / pantry every week.
    The items below are things I rotate in for variety:
    Cold Cuts (sliced ham / turkey / chicken from the deli counter or butcher)
    Smoked pork sausage (I get a kind with jalapeno peppers and cheese!!!)
    Sauerkraut (goes perfect with the sausage)
    Shredded cabbage
    Slivered almonds (I like to fry the cabbage and almonds with bacon grease)
    Sugar free jello (I make my own)
    Full fat greek yogurt (Fage brand da bestest - I add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream for EXTRA creaminess!)
    Avocado / Guacamole

I tend to be very simple with my cooking and meal prep. Having "the same thing" a lot helps me out.
    Sometimes I get bored, though, and buy some pre-made stuff:
    bacon-wrapped jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese (seriously, 3 ingredients)
    raw kale salad
    grilled or smoked meats
    Rotisserie chicken (the leftovers get made into chicken salad with rosemary marcona almonds, chopped celery, and mayo)
    Lily's Sugar Free almond chocolate bars sweetened with stevia.

Hope this helps.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Maybe after you eat all the stuff above or get tired of it, try some corned beef. It is simple to make (boil), cheap, has a wonderful taste that is different from any meats, really fatty :D and has a good "shelf" life.

See this discussion:
    Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef

Fish and seafood, shrimp. Tilapia is pretty cheap. Shrimp ~ not so much ~ unless it goes on sale. Although these don't have much fat, they will after you cook them in generous amounts of coconut oil, butter or Ghee. I eat them when I have eaten enough fat for the day, but am lacking in protein.

On the nuts. If you are trying to be Keto, like all others said above, be careful. I think I ate 30g's of cashews yesterday. My new work place provides free snacks for everyone. They bring in big bags of cashews, pecans and sunflower seeds. And I'm not very disciplined in the Nut department because I love them so much!

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet

Bacon Wrapped Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken