Share your story about beating a binge urge

Options
Many of us struggle with binging. The urge to binge is strong, and overcoming it is a real achievement.

This post is to celebrate our victories over 'The Binge', and focus on the times that we manage to overcome the urge. Knowing that you can do it once can give you strength and confidence that you can do it again. It can also inspire others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

The battle is hard - every victory (big or small) is an achievement. Let's share our success stories here !

Replies

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'll start :smile: .

I have been thinking about chocolate all day. I had none at home so it wasn't really a problem. Then I realised I had to go out because I needed to buy something. As I was getting ready to leave, I was firming my resolve to be strong and not let the urge win. At the same time, the urge was becoming stronger, with thoughts like 'I could just buy one, its not a big deal'. A part of me was thinking 'realistically I'm not sure if I am going to be strong, I just might succumb' - I think that was the binge talking.

Then all of a sudden I had a thought 'Its up to me. and I'm just not going to buy the chocolate'. It was as simple as that. This wasn't a case of me having enough will power to overcome the urge. Preparing will power acknowledges that there will be a battle, and implies that I may not win. This was just a matter of fact decision 'I'm not going to buy it'.

Suddenly the urges disappeared. Really. It completely faded away. I have now come back from the shops and I can honestly say that it was easy. There was no urge. The binge had been around me all the day (even though I didn't plan to go out). But now its just completely gone.

I wish I could record the process that happened to me. and be able to replay it at will. I have tried to describe it in the hope that I (or anybody else) can use it again.

• totaldetermination
    Options
    I have felt the binge around me all day. In fact I have already 'binged' today. I use the quotes because I binged on a massive amount of vegetables. Technically it is not a binge, as it was just a couple of hundred calories. But if a binge is eating to the point where I am so full that I wish I would stop, but I keep eating...then yeah - it was a binge.

So, I have to go out and the binge is with me and I'm getting worried because I can buy binge food while I'm out.
    I prepare myself to be strong.

Then I remembered my post from yesterday and just thought instead of preparing for battle, I'm just not going to give the fight a chance to happen.
    "I'm not going to buy binge foods"...nothing happened.

I repeat it in my head again, a bit stronger.
    "I'm not going to buy binge foods"
    still no change.

OK so that's not going to work again.

So I thought to myself
    "I would rather be a healthy weight than eat binge food".

and the binge was gone. seriously - gone.

I haven't gone out yet so I guess it might come back, but I have a pretty good feel for when its around, and I can confidently say that its gone.

I realised that thinking about bingeing (or thinking about avoiding a binge) keeps my mind focused on the binge. and when faced with the thought of bingeing, it is very appealing, and it is difficult to resist.

But when I look at the bigger picture - ie me maintaining my weight vs me binging...well, with that frame of reference bingeing is not appealing at all.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You're doing really well!
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    You're doing really well!
    thank you :smile:
    I hope that I can help others, too.

• MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Great job!

Today I am suffering from PMS emotions - tense, tearful etc. It is so bad that one of my students noticed and asked if I was alright. The last several weeks, I have been using amino acid supplements to lessen the urge to binge. It has worked well, but today I am fighting binge thinking.

One of the students in my third class left behind an unopened package of a favorite binge food. I could have eaten it without a second thought. Instead I took it to an enclosed garbage can, opened it and dumped the "garbage" in. Then I went to my best buddy and confessed to my feelings. He gave me a hug. Then he said that if he sees me foraging through that garbage can later, he is calling the school psychologist. lol

I am actually proud of myself and the binge urge has passed.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    nice one ! and great job for getting through the urge.
    I find 'unexpected' binge options a real challenge because I haven't prepared myself for them. So well done for reacting so decisively - especially at a challenging time.
    I love also that you have someone that you can share it with :)
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think my students are trying to kill me. My last class of the day left food as well. I threw it in the garbage as I walked out the door. Shocking.

Now I am home with my kids while my husband is working (prime binge time), and I am not even tempted.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    How fabulous that you're not tempted :smile:.

I always feel that avoiding a binge creates a habit to not binge; and that's a good thing ! It sounds like throwing away the food that your students leave behind is becoming a habit for you. That's great ! and its a habit that you could use in other parts of your life, too. If you are in another situation where there is binge food, but you can throw it away to avoid a binge. Looking at it that way, I think your students are helping you :wink:
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    Throwing away food is something I should do more often but I find it so hard; I am frugal and hate waste. Why do I think it's better to consume it? :persevere:
  • totaldetermination
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I understand, I also don't like throwing away food. But I don't like bingeing on it, either. and when the choice is to binge on it or to throw it away then I think it is perfectly ok to throw it away. It is something that I have gotten used to, and gotten better at. Also I still work hard to avoid throwing food away under 'normal' circumstances.

Someone on the forum once explained it something like this:
    "When I eat something, it still becomes waste. It doesn't help anyone to have it filtered through my digestive system and disposed of in the toilet the next day, rather than cutting me out as the middleman and tossing straight in the garbage disposal and down the pipes today. "
    I really agree with that.

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    "When I eat something, it still becomes waste. It doesn't help anyone to have it filtered through my digestive system and disposed of in the toilet the next day, rather than cutting me out as the middleman and tossing straight in the garbage disposal and down the pipes today. "

I just had that same conversation with a friend of mine yesterday. For some reason, that way of thinking works for me if it's food I've bought myself. But if someone buys something for me, trying to be nice, I can't seem do it. I feel like I'm throwing THEIR money and kindness away, and that bothers me because I know it would hurt them if they knew I just tossed it...not that they would ever have to know but still...
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »

I just had that same conversation with a friend of mine yesterday. For some reason, that way of thinking works for me if it's food I've bought myself. But if someone buys something for me, trying to be nice, I can't seem do it. I feel like I'm throwing THEIR money and kindness away, and that bothers me because I know it would hurt them if they knew I just tossed it...not that they would ever have to know but still...

It's really hard to get this in my mind. I feel like It's a waste if I don't eat it... but in reality, it still becomes waste regardless of if I eat it or not.

I really have to evaluate my excuses and make sure the excuses aren't just "The Binge" talking.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This is awesome...thanks for posting! I love the idea of not thinking about it like a battle, because on days when I'm tired I could make the excuse that I just don't have enough energy to fight it.

"I would rather be a healthy weight than eat that binge food" - I am going to use that!

One key for me is to make sure I have my healthy snacks with me that I've already planned for. Like right now. I'm heading home from work in 10 minutes and I'm definitely hungry. I have healthy snacks to eat on the way home so I'm not tempted to stop at McDonald's for "just a little treat". I'm also planning to change quickly and then go lift weights. This way I won't be home alone.
  • amaira515
    amaira515 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is so good to hear success stories and know other people go through this and I'm not totally abnormal.

I just acknowledged to myself today that I do have a problem. I binge eat a few times a month and I would always make excuses. Three egg and cheese biscuits and a hashbrown, oh it's just a treat before I start the serious diet. Full bag of fries with full bag of cheese, oh it's just one treat I've been doing good and I'll be more serious tomorrow. Finally I took a step back and now I realize it is not a treat, it is not normal, and I am hiding it from everyone. I would always take the trash from the foods and hide them on the bottom of other garbage or at a random outdoor trash can so my fiancee wouldn't know I did it. I never stopped and thought about how messed up that was and how huge a sign that was that it is NOT healthy or just a harmless "treat." I've done it since I was 5 or 6 when my parents divorced so it was just normal in my mind. I thought since I wasn't obese just overweight that I didn't have a huge issue.

It has been painful acknowledging it and admitting it but also relieving. I feel like I've taken a big step in the right direction and in freeing myself from food controlling my life.

I'm so happy and I would love to have some of you add me if willing so we can support each other in this journey.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    One key for me is to make sure I have my healthy snacks with me that I've already planned for. Like right now. I'm heading home from work in 10 minutes and I'm definitely hungry. I have healthy snacks to eat on the way home so I'm not tempted to stop at McDonald's for "just a little treat". I'm also planning to change quickly and then go lift weights. This way I won't be home alone.

I'm do something similar.
    I find it that it is easier to avoid a binge than to stop one once it has begun. So, if I am going shopping (which is a danger time for me) I make sure that I have had a meal before I go, so that I am not hungry. Then before I leave I drink a lot of water which also seems to help. Taking healthy snacks with me is a good idea - I'm going to try that ! its something to eat whilst I'm out, but in a limited amount. If I bought a healthy snack while out, it would just be opening the flood gates of 'buying food and eating', which could end with a binge. Great tip ! - thanks :smile:
  • totaldetermination
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I could feel him there, wanting to start a binge. It wasn't the strongest he's ever been, but it was a pretty solid effort. I was holding my ground. not fighting, but not willing to give in. Aware of him and his intention.
    We were eyeing each other out, before the fight would commence.

and so it continued...for over 10 hours.
    I was calm, focused and determined.
    I didn't allow the battle to start.

The threat only subsided when I eventually went to bed for the night.

But the good thing is that even when its a tie, I'm the winner :)

and today is another day.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    another difficult evening / night. But again I managed not to binge.

I had finished my calories for the day but just wanted to eat more. I knew that eating wouldn't achieve anything.
    'is this hunger?' 'no'
    'will eating satisfy this urge to eat and make it go away ?' 'no'

so I just ignored the urged. I accepted that it was there, and decided that even though it was there I wouldn't eat.

• Pudding1980
    Options
    Good work TD!
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Good work TD!
    I feel that every victory - no matter how small it might seem - really is a victory.

• totaldetermination
    Options
    I have wanted to binge all day, but have not.

Not a strong (stuff everything I can into my mouth) urge. Just a general sense of dissatisfaction, and an urge to eat to resolve it. (Though of course I know that eating wouldn't change anything.)

Well, I didn't binge so that's good.