TMI Tuesday Paleo style!

Options

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    We are following the BARF diet and that recommended yoghurt, kelp and the fibrous veggies. It says his diet should be 20% veggies. I haven't read the book myself but my husband has.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, according to what you've said something is not working so.... All info must be analyzed. Too much dairy (or any) and fibre for carnivores just isn't logical. There's all kinds of views, and sadly, there's even vegan cat and dog food.

it's really called "BARF"? omg
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Not sure what BARF stands for but those recomendations sound like it might make your dog barf for real!
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My dogs eat what I eat. Paleo all the way! Since they have been eating this way the have gained muscle not weight and are thrilled with every meal.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    BARF stands for "biologically appropriate raw food" or sometimes "bones and raw food".
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    But both dairy and high fibre is not "biologically appropriate" for carnivores. Why don't you just try eliminating the dairy and reducing the fibre? I assure you that your dog will NOT be harmed by trying that.

Agreed with tshirtartist!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've been feeding my cats Wellness and they do pretty well on it but it gets rather expensive for 3 cats plus what the dogs manage to sneak in and steal before I can catch them. Seasonally, (and going on in my house right now) the cats gift me with fur-balls :(.

One time my kids and I were roaming Petco and a sales rep for Blue Buffalo started talking to us about foods. She told us that vets tend to push for (and sell) brands like Science Diet because they fund their education through scholarships, and court them, sort of like the pharmaceutical companies who court doctors offices. I asked our vet about and he said he fed his dog Pedigree and Purina lol.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've been feeding my cats Wellness and they do pretty well on it but it gets rather expensive for 3 cats plus what the dogs manage to sneak in and steal before I can catch them. Seasonally, (and going on in my house right now) the cats gift me with fur-balls :(.

One time my kids and I were roaming Petco and a sales rep for Blue Buffalo started talking to us about foods. She told us that vets tend to push for (and sell) brands like Science Diet because they fund their education through scholarships, and court them, sort of like the pharmaceutical companies who court doctors offices. I asked our vet about and he said he fed his dog Pedigree and Purina lol.

My vet has 3-4 Labs of her own and she did confess to feeding them all grain free! :) But they have all Science Diet in the office...For that reason!

Deals can be found on the high end stuff. Do you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you? I get a lot of deals and coupons in there for having the card. They email coupons all the time. Believe it or not Walmart...I know everyone hates Walmart but there are deals to be had there too. They have several grain free brands here. I am not sure if Country Max is national but they have a lot to offer here as well, and sales plus the back clearance pat that I can get things really cheap. Just some ideas!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^Hypocrisy.... how do people (vets, doctors, etc) sleep at night when they do one thing and tell everyone else to do something else that they know is wrong... Something that will harm health and shorten lives? Makes me sick.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    LOL yes I have noticed, Cat - at first I thought there was something wrong with me.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone full on paleo but at first my poop smelled HORRIBLE but then it got better, then again I'd be fine with horrid smelling poop if I felt better. :lol:
    My cats now that you guys mention it have better smelling poops too. I switched them to a grain free blend they sell at costco ( cannot afford raw plus my cats prefer this) and the rank "clear the room and light a whole pack of matches" smell went away. Never connected it until now.
    My main happiness is the fact my cat is no longer throwing up constantly.

Here is what the bag looks like, It's 20 bucks and lasts 2 months for my cats.

natures-domain-salmon-sweet-potato-cats.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone full on paleo but at first my poop smelled HORRIBLE but then it got better, then again I'd be fine with horrid smelling poop if I felt better. :lol:
    My cats now that you guys mention it have better smelling poops too. I switched them to a grain free blend they sell at costco ( cannot afford raw plus my cats prefer this) and the rank "clear the room and light a whole pack of matches" smell went away. Never connected it until now.
    My main happiness is the fact my cat is no longer throwing up constantly.

Here is what the bag looks like, It's 20 bucks and lasts 2 months for my cats.

natures-domain-salmon-sweet-potato-cats.jpg

Egads, I've been there. I wish I knew about the grain-free stuff when I had my cat. She ran us out of the entire half of the house my room was on one time! If my room had been closer to the kitchen, I would have worried the pilot on the gas stove would have ignited the whole place!

Cats are more picky from what I hear. You pretty much have to start them on raw as a kitten if you want them to eat that way, or you have to transition very slowly, and even that's hit or miss as many will just eat around the new food.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Egads, I've been there. I wish I knew about the grain-free stuff when I had my cat. She ran us out of the entire half of the house my room was on one time! If my room had been closer to the kitchen, I would have worried the pilot on the gas stove would have ignited the whole place!

Cats are more picky from what I hear. You pretty much have to start them on raw as a kitten if you want them to eat that way, or you have to transition very slowly, and even that's hit or miss as many will just eat around the new food.

I nearly choked on my breakfast! :lol: My cat's box was in my bedroom, so you could imagine laying there trying to get to sleep and the cat goes to the bathroom and you're sitting there throwing the covers over your head for fear you'll die of smells :lol:

My cats used to be on a raw diet but not only was it expensive but hard to maintain because at the time we'd have to leave them at home on weekends sometimes. I know it's excuses but my other main reason was my neighbors complained that it was too noisy with me making the food. We tried to switch them back to wet food but they just preferred dry. My one cat is almost 11 and my other is like 9 (I won't go into it but health wise he's been through a lot) I figure I'll just let them eat what they want.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ^Hypocrisy.... how do people (vets, doctors, etc) sleep at night when they do one thing and tell everyone else to do something else that they know is wrong... Something that will harm health and shorten lives? Makes me sick.

Yeah I can't say she ever really recommended what they had there...Matter of fact she didn't. She basically said to get the highest quality I can afford. Which is exactly what I do. But yes, still hypocrisy because there is no Grain Free in the lobby!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    All doctors/vets that know better than the status quo need to stop being silent and fearful and STAND UP against what they know to be wrong. There are a few doctors/vets speaking out but then they are usually ostracized from their profession and ridiculed into oblivion after doing so. Greater numbers choosing to come forward will bring out the TRUTH. Silence and failure to oppose what's wrong makes one just as guilty as those directly perpetuating the wrongdoing.

If she knows the grain food is not healthy for her patients she should not stock it. Period.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I nearly choked on my breakfast! :lol: My cat's box was in my bedroom, so you could imagine laying there trying to get to sleep and the cat goes to the bathroom and you're sitting there throwing the covers over your head for fear you'll die of smells :lol:

My cats used to be on a raw diet but not only was it expensive but hard to maintain because at the time we'd have to leave them at home on weekends sometimes. I know it's excuses but my other main reason was my neighbors complained that it was too noisy with me making the food. We tried to switch them back to wet food but they just preferred dry. My one cat is almost 11 and my other is like 9 (I won't go into it but health wise he's been through a lot) I figure I'll just let them eat what they want.

That's one of the reasons I love dogs. We do a feast/famine cycle with ours. So when we go away for a weekend, we toss them a big meal that will last them a couple of days and they're good to go. If I recall, that's harder to do with cats (and they need fresh, they're not garbage disposals like dogs). Might be possible, but certainly more involved.

And yeah, my cat's box was in my bedroom, so I can relate to that scenario!
  • FeliJD
    FeliJD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Getting back to the first comment, I also notice they are smaller and er, more frequent!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Blue Buffalo is a straight up sham. Their products are NOT good for pets and they lie on their packaging.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »

Blue Buffalo is a straight up sham. Their products are NOT good for pets and they lie on their packaging.

Citations and details, please?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Been trying to get into the office bathroom all morning... finally get in there. Gag. Do people not poop at home? Do they intentionally wait until they get to work? And jeez, judging by the stench, most of my co-workers are absolutely rotten inside. :s (My contribution to a TMI Thursday instead of Tuesday....)

I think kibble dog foods are always going to be inferior to fresh foods. But we must do the best we can with what we have and can afford. It's interesting to me that dog food can be so cheap, so that alone predicts that quality suffers.