Nutritional ketosis / macros

Options
dorkof82
dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
anyone testing their blood glucose and blood ketones? I have been, and even though I'm constantly in ketosis, I'm having a hard time losing

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    From looking at your profile etc you've already lost so much weight - which is fantastic and amazing. You are the expert here and should be advising the rest of us!

Yes, I test my ketones: range between 1.2 in the morning fasting state and 0.5 - 0.6 after meals. This range is defined as light ketosis, but I've never made it any higher during the 100+ days of ketosis, that must be just how I roll. I don't know if getting higher ketone numbers equates to greater weight loss or not, but I suspect not - I'm not sure what I could do to push my numbers higher except maybe fast. I have tested my blood sugar but not regularly.

I wonder if doing some IF (intermittent fasting) or a fat fast might help trigger more weight loss if you really feel you need to. Or maybe change things up another way by going zero carb for a short while?

I'm sure some wise soul will be along soon to give you better advice.
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    From looking at your profile etc you've already lost so much weight - which is fantastic and amazing. You are the expert here and should be advising the rest of us!

Haha yea I suppose it looks that way from the outside. I didn't lose that from Keto though, I did regular low carb for the past couple years and the last year I went backwards- gained 22. Granted, I quit smoking that year also so I sort of chop it up to that being a big part of it. But I couldn't seem to lose, and going backwards was not ok. So I switched to Keto in February and I think I've lost about 8lbs total (about half of that was the initial water weight) so 4lbs of real weight in 3 months, I've only recently started testing my blood and was having a hard time getting my numbers up. Today they seem good, woke with a 1.8mmol. The optimal range for fat loss is 1.5-3.0 so I am basically just trying to figure out how to always be in this range...
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    dorkof82 wrote: »
    and even though I'm constantly in ketosis, I'm having a hard time losing

ketosis doesn't equal weight loss in and of itself